Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 01:55 AM   #16
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub006
The 2006 Corvette Z06 blows every other American production car of any era away on the strip and at the stoplight, stops, corners and gets 27 mpg highway too!
Except for the 2005 Saleen S7 Twin Turbo.

check this link

Saleen S7 and S7R

It weighs around 200 pounds less, uses carbon fiber, beryllium, and has an top speed of around 235 mph. It doesn't get close to the gas mileage of the new Corvette Z06 which is the only production car sold in the USA that has more than 400 hp AND doesn't have a gas guzzler tax.

Saleen S7 takes on Veyron

Wednesday 7th December 2005

autoexpress.co.uk

Saleen is now offering buyers of its 750 bhp S7 Twin Turbo supercar the option of a 'performance upgrade'. It costs £46,500 on top of the S7's £320,000 list price and boosts the 7-litre twin-turbo V8 to a claimed 1000 bhp. Coupled with a relatively light kerbweight of 1338 kg, the huge power should allow the S7 to challenge the Bugatti Veyron as the fastest production car in the world. And with 75 examples of the S7 already delivered in the US, the Saleen certainly has every right to claim the title.

Even with the 'cooking' 750 bhp engine, the S7 Twin Turbo is said to be good for a sub-three second run to 60 mph, and 100 mph flashes up in a claimed six seconds flat. Currently Saleen claims a top speed of 240 mph for the S7 Twin Turbo but with the 1000 bhp upgrade there are whispers that the car has already topped over 260 mph in testing.

(end of article)

"Expect a future intercooled version with almost twice the boost to make over 1000 bhp."

- Road & Track

The new S7 Twin Turbo runs 5.5 psi of boost.

New S7 Twin Turbo

In a time when a car had a top speed of 40 mph or so, a Duesenberg SJ with its supercharged DOHC I-8 (yes, inline-eight-cylinder engine) could top out at around 130 mph depending on the body style and what not.

Duesenbergs

1932 Duesenberg Model SJ LaGrange D.C. Phaeton

Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:06 PM   #17
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

Re: what is the best muscle chevy?

not to question any flow of time here but somehow we got off subject.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:23 PM   #18
directory
AF Enthusiast

i don't know if it's considered a muscle car, but i loved my old 71 impala...

trunk lid louvres, curved back glass, roll down side back windows (2 door)-- loved it...

they don't pay attention to such detail in the new cars.

SKYWARN

we be clubbin'

--B
directory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #19
sub006
AF Enthusiast

How many Saleen S7s have been registered for street use in the USA in how many years of "production"? Fifty? In what, two or three years?

Heck, Ford had 100 Fairlane 427 Thunderbolts built in one year, and they are rare enough they almost never come up in discussions of street musclecars. Why? Because average, non-strip racers COULD NOT BUY THEM.

I admire Steve Saleen and his accomplishments. But at $400,000 or $500,000 per copy, S7s are less common and available than the T-bolts were. What American supercar was harder to buy than an S7? A Vector?

Besides, the thread topic is "what is the best muscle CHEVY?"

Last edited by sub006; 02-04-2006 at 01:49 AM.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:22 PM   #20
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

Chevelle.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #21
reree
AF Newbie

1969 yenco camero any questions
reree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #22
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

yeah one: where can you find one that isnt wrecked or junk, and under 30,000 dollars? not being a smart ass, just fact. i mean i found a 70 challenger with a 440 (it was an atuo though) for 8.5 grand. but you go into the special names :shelby, roush, saleen, yenko, copo. prices go hugely up.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #23
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

I like the 71'chevelle and any vette.
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #24
novajoe
AF Newbie

I am biased toward the Nova's too because I own a 70 SS. But my pick would be a 67 Marina Blue SS Nova with a 327/375 and 4 speed. The Nova was the high end model, as all that model were still called Chevy II's then. So, basically, you had a Chevy II Nova SS! Those cars were very light and had tremendous power with that particular engine. Of course finding one now would be like finding a needle in a haystack. They didn't handle well like the modern cars, but they weren't meant to handle corners, they were meant for straight lines. Good luck with your search.
novajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:00 PM   #25
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

i will admit i like the early chevy 2's mostly becuase of thier size and the ability yo stuff a big engine into them. but you are right any nova like that is really rare.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #26
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

The ONLY Chevrolet muscle car was Chevelle SS. Camaros are "pony" cars. The term gets too much misuse. A car having "muscle" does not automatically mean it's a "muscle car" (intermediate body, BIG engine). Redefining the term to allow your car to "fit" is irrelevant.

Yenko Camaros are akin to Hurst Olds 442s and Royal Bobcats (Pontiac). They were not factory-produced. A new car was shipped to Yenko Chevrolet, and a 427 was installed. Chevrolet only made a handful of 427 Camaros, known as ZL-1 ('69). Rare as hen's teeth, and VERY fast! Too few to consider in a discussion like this. One-offs also don't "qualify" as muscle cars, as only the mass-produced cars should be considered. (IMO) Case-in-point? '69 GTO Ram Air V cars. Only a few built. 11 second times with traction. As much as I like GTOs, I can't really consider this one... Real muscle cars should be "attainable" (at least when "new").

Again, the last is my opinion.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #27
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPbody
The ONLY Chevrolet muscle car was Chevelle SS. Camaros are "pony" cars. The term gets too much misuse. A car having "muscle" does not automatically mean it's a "muscle car" (intermediate body, BIG engine). Redefining the term to allow your car to "fit" is irrelevant.
you are totally correct in you assessment there, but i was using this as a generalized term(not to mislead anyone, in the correctness of the term). so i couldnt limit myself to solely the chevelle, i knew it was the only TRUE muscle car through chevy, but when i threw the topic on it it was to draw in people with knowledge on these muscle era cars. or an opinion on them.

basically all im saying is this thread is to help me find a good Muscle era car for me to buy (and or restore) my father as a gift to him, i want to hear any and all be it pre muscle, muscle, pony, or even post muscle era.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #28
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

The most "bang for the buck" these days are the late '70s/early '80s "G" bodies. Monte Carlo and Malibu Classic both qualify. Good chassis, lighter than their predecessors, and all the "good" parts fit! I like the looks of the Malibu, too (personal opinoin), at least the 2-door.

The best part? The price... They're still very cheap. Make GREAT "sleepers". Small blocks bolt right in.

Jim

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:11 PM   #29
Ultrashock
AF Regular

71' Chevelle SS 454

Great Car.

cant beat a good old 4 bolt main 454
Jasper engine, Rebuilt tranny + rearend

04 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
43,000 miles
Ultrashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:55 PM   #30
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrashock
71' Chevelle SS 454

Great Car.

cant beat a good old 4 bolt main 454
as much of a chevelle fan as my dad is (hes chevelle, nova, camaro, anything with looks and a little go fast) but bb parts are just soo hard to find now. and soo expencive at that.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical