Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevelle
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
fuego2323
AF Newbie

454 to 502

hello anyone i have a 454 motor aand i would like to make it a 502 what i have to do it is expensive or to much trouble
fuego2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: 454 to 502

fire...,

No, not in the "conventional" sense, can the 454 become a "502". The bore size for 454 is 4.250". 502 is 4.500". One cannot bore the block far enough without compromising the strength of the block. We never take a BBC more than .100" over. We've seen some of the HD ("tall deck") blocks bored .125" over (366 blocks).

There's another way to get there, though. Many aftermarket suppliers offer a "stroker" kit with a 4.25" stroke. Installing that in a .060" over block makes a 496. Bore it .080" over and it's a 500. Bore it .100 (final bore size 4.350") and it's a 505. Parts and rotating kits are readily available to do this. Don't scrimp on the price as quality and cost are directly related here.

I also advise the use of a competent machine shop to do alll the necessary work to make the kit "fit". With the right heads, cam and induction, these things are BEASTS!

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevelle