Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Charger R/T | Charger SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 01:59 PM   #1
mentalmickey
AF Enthusiast

Identifying Year Of A Charger R/t

WHAT YEAR WAS THE BLACK CHARGER R/T IN THE FILM 'VANISHING POINT' (A CAR CHASE FILM MADE BACK IN THE EARLY/MID 90'S) WITH AN OLDER CHARGER R/T (WHITE ONE) sadly both got totalled but i've been trying to work out what exact year it is. got to be from 1970 to 74 but i'd like the exact year as i'd like to have a black one, just the same as in the movie
mentalmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 07:08 PM   #2
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Well I suppose you are talking about the 90s remake of the 70s car chase movie Vanishing Point. I suggest you see the original, MUCH better. Ahyhow; to answer your question. The white car is actually a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T SE. The black car was a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 11:15 PM   #3
HemiGeorge
AF Regular

good movie?
12.5 to 1 compression ratio.
Cross Ram Intake manifold.
1 11/16" x 1 11/16" Holley carburetors.
Competition Hooker headers, exhaust pipes, and mufflers.
HemiGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:44 AM   #4
MaximusGTR
AF Fanatic

Where are they now
Old 01-08-2003, 01:36 PM   #5
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Quote:
Originally posted by HemiGeorge
good movie?
Well, yes and no. There was only thing I liked in the 90s remake. There is a line that a cop uses. They are headed out to chase the guy in the Challenger and the cop heads to his house and says, you can't catch a Dodge with a Ford, you catch a Dodge with a Dodge and opens up the garage to see this awesome 69 Charger RT. Subsequently both cars were destroyed and the rest of the movie sucked.

The original was much better but they destroyed the 1970 Challenger RT/SE that was in the movie by running it into a paqir of bulldozers, that part of the movie was bad. It seems they are always destroying nice Mopars in movies, much of why I don't care too much for the movie Bullitt, especially since that Charger was SOOO detuned for the Stang to keep up. I was just glad that in Gone in 60 Seconds they destroyed the Mustang for once!!!!

Well, enough of my rambling.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 10:40 PM   #6
Terrafirma
AF Newbie

wow, and elephant

Im in awe of the black barracuda elephant engine. Thats what they were called when they came out off the assembly line in 68, the elephant engine, because every time they went up to the starting line, and go to launch, their front end would come up off the ground, mimiking a elephant going on its hind legs, that and ford already had the horse lineup of cars. But wow that car is gorgeous, almost as gorgeous as the 68 hemi dart i saw at a car show in van. Oh wow, i have never seen a car such as that one, stripped down to the bare needs, the windows were held up by straps, they were either up or down, no in between, the interior, or what was left of it after it came off the line was still mint, the 2 front seats were still amazing, and there was no rear bench Because this was a drag only car. And it was a factory car too. Too bad Emissions control has killed the big block, but it will be comming back soon, 2005 the dodge hemosphear comes out, and its a mid engine rear wheel drive big block sports car, a big fat 426 hemi power plant with 425 hp will be snorting its way around the streets yet again.
Terrafirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:03 PM   #7
arthur12187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to arthur12187
ya i saw like the last 10-15 minutes of vanishing point. i cant believe they " shot " the charger!!!!!! and y did the cops throw there badges after the car blew up?? anyone know
Old 08-23-2003, 12:40 AM   #8
Super60Shelby
AF Newbie

The original movie with Kowolski's 70 Challenger RT was not destroyed,it was a 1968 Camaro,this was mentioned in a Car Craft magazine article from the 1980's I might still have, and also I have the film and have seen it many times,and you can clearly see it is not a Challenger,for those of us who have owned Challengers I knew this at the end,and was happy about it

They might have done this,due to a chance at a second follow up movie or becuase a plain jane Camaro was more common and a better choice to destroy

If you guys want to see a terrible destruction of a 1968 Charger watch the movie Bullitt with Steve McQueen,where the two thugs are run off the road by Steve and his stang into a gas pumping station.

The road chases thru SF is the best chase sceen ever IMO.

here are the clips from VP and Bullitt,look for yourself.
If you slow it down you can clearly see the taillights are NOT across the full length of the back valence,it is only small tailights like that of a 68 or 67 Camaro,that and the hood is flat not like the RT's double intakes and raised mid section.

Sorry to be so rentative about it,but I cant let people think they destroyed this pristine 70 R/T and all the nightmares you all would have

http://www.vanishingpointcar.com/videoclips.html
Super60Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:42 PM   #9
petereggy
AF Enthusiast

they used a 68 camaro in the bulldozer scene because they ran out of all their other dodges...which is good for us charger lovers
petereggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 05:16 PM   #10
69WiLdcaT
AF Regular

Re: Identifying Year Of A Charger R/t

ok guys... that was a movie.... in all truth you MOPAR fans, your cars are overrated... it took a 440 to make 375 horse and it took GM a 396 to make the same... don't get me wrong a challenger is a beautiful car, but i would rather have a Buick... of course Buick's the only place to go if you want Hemi-killing power!!! > : )
69WiLdcaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 04:16 PM   #11
test
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Identifying Year Of A Charger R/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69WiLdcaT
ok guys... that was a movie.... in all truth you MOPAR fans, your cars are overrated... it took a 440 to make 375 horse and it took GM a 396 to make the same... don't get me wrong a challenger is a beautiful car, but i would rather have a Buick... of course Buick's the only place to go if you want Hemi-killing power!!! > : )

Lemme see how your Pubic...I mean buick rates along side my puny little 440. MORON
test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:22 PM   #12
Hypsi87
I got your v-8 swingin!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hypsi87
Re: Re: Re: Identifying Year Of A Charger R/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by test
Lemme see how your Pubic...I mean buick rates along side my puny little 440. MORON

Do your homework.... a buick GS 455 stage 1 is what he is talking about. They are Hemi killers. A 440 is not exactly puny

Grand National. Going fast with class.
Voted FASTEST street car on AF.
Here is the proof!!!
1987 Buick Grand National.
Back in action!!!!
1999 Ford F-250
Tow rig from hell 598 Ft-lbs.
ASE Certified in...
Mobile AC
On Highway medium duty diesel engines.
Off highwayy medium duty diesel engines.
On highway trucks.
Working on the eletronics certification

Member of
A.A.N.B.C- Afer against non boosted crews #2
Hypsi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 04:13 PM   #13
Junkman1
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Junkman1

And what DOMINATED the drags in the 60's and 70's-----> MOPAR not PEW-ICK ,all in fun,I like 'em all,just my 1st love was Mother Mopar,and still is,always will be.
Junkman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:01 AM   #14
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

ok, so here's my two cents:
start talking about muscle cars (I mean real ones) and you turn up all these GM and Ford Anal-retentive Penis- envious types.

Get a life. If you didn't already know Mopar's were the greatest muscle cars of all time, you wouldn't be here snoopin' now, would ya...?

What is a Buick Moderator...? The guy who explains why he spewed oil all the way down the 1/4 mile and ruined the track for a whole day? Or the guy who makes excuses for why Buick sounds like what you do after a long night of drinking?

Get a Mopar or go home now.
He He He!
Slantsixness
Old 04-28-2004, 06:54 PM   #15
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

That rules!
BleedDodge is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Charger R/T | Charger SRT8