Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
hustler8225
AF Regular

Should i get a rx-8???

Ok guys i have been readin a lot of stuff about the 8! some i like and some that worries me!! I am thinkin about gettin the 40th anniversary rx-8 but i dunno what to do! they knocked like 7K off the sticker price where it is so late in the year! so it's a good price on a car wit 3 miles! I don't want a car that will not last long, but i take excellent care of my vehicles so that wouldn't be a problem checkin the oil all the time and stuff! Just somebody please help me out!! I'm in need of some guidence! I'm 20 yrs old and i have a z28 for a while and i want to get out of the whole v8 shit!!! lol Also i could get a 350z instead! just throw out some stuff at me and let me know about the rx-8! i really have never talked to anyone that has had one! Thanks ahead of time guys!!
Old 10-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93
Re: Should i get a rx-8???

Little old but Ill throw my insight here anyway....

First and foremost... if you need to question if you should get the 8, its probably not the car for you...

It burns oil
Gets bad gas mileage
little low end torque
youll have the ladies throwing their numbers at you while youre driving with the windows down...

if any of those make you think twice about getting the 8.. get something else.... If after reading those if your aware of all those quirks and arent phased by them.. read on

the 8 is a phenomenal handling car... its sounds different than any car out there, looks great both inside and out (unlike the 350z which IMO looks cheap and full of plastic)

If you want a car that will sit in your driveway and take you effortlessly to the grocery store, get a BMW... if you want a car that you can beat on like a red headed step-child and it asks for more, get an 8... If youre looking to drag race or light to light race anything, get a BMW or the 350... the 8 IS NOT designed for stright line acceleration, rather its designed to be a car with great turn-in and balance...

In the end its up to you to decide what you want this car for... the 8 is a pretty high maintenance car and the maintenance isn't cheap either...

If it seems like I'm trying to scare you away from the 8, i am... the 8 is not meant for everyone out there, its a drivers car... and a true enthusiast and driver will be aware of these quirks and think its strengths far out-weigh them
Greenblurr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
SloppyJoe01
AF Newbie

I bought a 2004 RX8 in March. 6spd manual. Electric blue metallic. It had 75k miles and now has about 10k more. It's just getting broken in. In short, I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it. I agree with everything the other guy said. It is high maintenance. It's built to burn a lot of oil (Rotary engine) and isn't great on gas mileage. However, it's smooth as hell since you don't have pistons firing up and down while you drive. It's quick and flashy and comfortable. Handles like a wet dream. If you get it, be a man and get the stick. You won't be sorry.
SloppyJoe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
PRCIVIC
AF Newbie

Just think on this..... about $250.00 for spark plugs! And if you buy it or already did, dont you dare leaving it parked for a few days without at least heating it up for a wile. If you make that mistake you will have no compression on your rotors. It is a hard task to make it work again. Trust me! No i do not have or had a Wankel, i just fix them.
PRCIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

And it seems youre also talkin out your ass... a set of OEM spark plugs run $80 for all 4 and take 30 mins to change yourself.

And ive known people to store there cars an entire new england winter and they fire up first crank come spring time. and how the hell does letting a car sit make it loose compression?
Old 06-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
raisenop3
AF Newbie

SOmething to consider too - a friend of mine had one of these andhe lived in an area that is known for flash flooding. He got caught in a downpour, drove througha puddle and his engine is now no more good. The air intake on these is on the bottom of the engine - so one big puddle and kiss your engine bye bye.
raisenop3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisenop3 View Post
SOmething to consider too - a friend of mine had one of these andhe lived in an area that is known for flash flooding. He got caught in a downpour, drove througha puddle and his engine is now no more good. The air intake on these is on the bottom of the engine - so one big puddle and kiss your engine bye bye.
Thats actually false... the air intake system doesnt go below the bumper re-bar... in fact, its on top of it... then its sealed into the air box with the filter.... if you put a cold air system on the car, then yes, the filter will be located very low on the vehicle
Old 06-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
raisenop3
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblurr93 View Post
Thats actually false... the air intake system doesnt go below the bumper re-bar... in fact, its on top of it... then its sealed into the air box with the filter.... if you put a cold air system on the car, then yes, the filter will be located very low on the vehicle
This happened to his car - or at least that's what he was told. What if the car was all factory? Going through a large amount of water wouldn't affect it? Something did cause the car stalled out on the spot and hasn't run since.
raisenop3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisenop3 View Post
This happened to his car - or at least that's what he was told. What if the car was all factory? Going through a large amount of water wouldn't affect it? Something did cause the car stalled out on the spot and hasn't run since.
The water would need to be enough to splash above the factory bumper reinforcement car to be sucked into the intake.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-8