Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
HOOKEDONSONICS
AF Newbie

Left front wheel noise

Last week I had the front brakes and rotors replaced. The next day I noticed some noise but couldn`t pin-point what it was or where it was coming from. After a few days, I noticed it was coming from the left front wheel. When I back into my driveway and stop, it`s fine. When I move forward and stop I hear one clank / crunch. If I continue forward, it does not make the noise. It only makes the noise on the first forward stop after reverse. It does not do it in reverse. Sounds like the brake pad is shifting. I took it back to my mechanic yesterday and he was able to pin-point it to the left front wheel but can`t find where it is coming from. It is not coming from the brakes. Everything is tight except the upper ball joint has a slight movement. My mechanic says the slight movement of the ball joint is not enough to make that noise. I believe the noise is directly related to the brake job. I believe the 4x4 hub needs to come off to replace the rotor. Is it possible that something was not put back together correctly, like the hub? If it was the hub, wouldn`t I hear the noise more often? How about the axle joint? If that was the problem, I`m sure I`d hear the noise more often as well. The truck goes back Monday for further / more detailed testing. Any suggestions would be great.
HOOKEDONSONICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
theFREAKnasty82
AF Enthusiast

Re: Left front wheel noise

what year is your truck? It sounds like your wheel bearing is bad or the hub nut that hold the axle & hub in place is loose. It's not necessary to remove the axle nut when doing a brake job. The recommended torque for the axle nut is 175 ft/lb.
Dead Or Dying Gas Eater
Department Of Defense Garbage Equipment
Dodge Owners Don't Get Excited
Don't Overdrive Gutless Engine
Drips Oil Drops Grease Everywhere

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9 V6
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2 V8 4X4
theFREAKnasty82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
HOOKEDONSONICS
AF Newbie

I Guess that would help to give my vehical information. It's a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4. The '94-'99 trucks have the brake rotor mounted behind the hub assembly whereas the '00-'02 trucks have slip-on rotors. The '94-'99 trucks, when doing a brake job on one of those trucks, requires the hub assembly to be removed to get the brake rotor off. The '00-'02 trucks do not. Now this hub was replaced 3 years ago and never a problem until this brake job.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
theFREAKnasty82
AF Enthusiast

Ok, I thought you had a 1500, but nonetheless, make sure your brake dust shield is not rubbing against the rotor. Also, if you have ABS, make sure that the dust shield is mounted on the actual hub bearing not the steering knuckle. This is to make sure the sensor pigtail doesn't get snagged and ripped.
Dead Or Dying Gas Eater
Department Of Defense Garbage Equipment
Dodge Owners Don't Get Excited
Don't Overdrive Gutless Engine
Drips Oil Drops Grease Everywhere

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9 V6
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2 V8 4X4
theFREAKnasty82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
HOOKEDONSONICS
AF Newbie

Great!! I will be taking my truck to my machanic on Monday. He will be taking the whole assembly apart and I'll post results.
Thanks
James
Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
HOOKEDONSONICS
AF Newbie

Well, my truck is fixed. The problem was the rotor was shifting. The wheel studs are pressed in through the back of the rotor and into the wheel hub/bearing and the studs had a lot of wear on them. Anyway, my mechanic replace the hub, rotor. and studs.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
urclueless
Banned

the wheel would have to be loose/not properly torqued for that to have happened. that's some really poor mechanics. they obviously didn't properly press in the wheel studs when replacing the rotors
urclueless is offline   Reply With Quote