Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvair
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
01Bowtie
AF Newbie

Question 1961 Corvair Panal van?

Is there a corvair panel van? I met a man today that says he has a 1961 corvair panel van. Is this a real model? He really doesn't know much about it but says he thinks it is a panel. It's a bit of a drive but if it's a possible find I'll make the drive. Any help would be appriciated.
01Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Current Resident
AF Newbie

Re: 1961 Corvair Panal van?

Yes there really is one but I am unsure if there was one in 61 I owned a 64
Current Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:49 PM   #3
Garf
AF Newbie

There certainly was a panel truck and a window van in 61. I don't know if the rampside was out in 61. The panel truck was the Corvair 95 and the window van was the Greenbriar.
They were known as "foreward control" corvair.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Panel was called a Corvan. All the Corvair trucks are bitchin' when owned and treated with love.

They are like super VW vans. Note how many Transporters and Kombis have had 'Vair engines put in them.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
Garf
AF Newbie

I put a lot of road miles on mine. I had every concievable failure known to Corvair at one time or another including swallowing a valve seat, differential pinion gear teeth failure, rust in the idle circuit of the same carb several times, broken throttle cable, to name a few. I am not even counting the fan belt throwing off.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Spectria, L1 MT
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Spectria, L1 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garf
I put a lot of road miles on mine. I had every concievable failure known to Corvair at one time or another including swallowing a valve seat, differential pinion gear teeth failure, rust in the idle circuit of the same carb several times, broken throttle cable, to name a few. I am not even counting the fan belt throwing off.
But you kept driving it!

Why???

I know why, but I want to hear someone else's reason for putting up with and finding solutions to numerous problems with a revolutionary new design.

I love Corvairs and the van was just amazing. You could put so much crap in them and they would haul it anywhere!!!
Spectria, L1 MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
Garf
AF Newbie

I really can't say why I put up with all of the problems, but I put a lot of road miles on the 2 vans I had. When the price of parts went into the antique range, I dumped everything. You don't even want to know how much stuff I dumped.
I still have a few odds and ends left.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 AM   #8
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectria, L1 MT
But you kept driving it!

Why???

I know why, but I want to hear someone else's reason for putting up with and finding solutions to numerous problems with a revolutionary new design.

I love Corvairs and the van was just amazing. You could put so much crap in them and they would haul it anywhere!!!
If you look at the Porsche 911 air-cooled six cylinder and how it installs into that sports car, you'd swear its designers copied the Corvair. Of course, GM used the best-selling import VW as the baseline for creating the Corvair, so both engineering teams were following the same path!
Old 04-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
josemesa
AF Newbie

The first year Chevrolet made them was 1962 and they were labeled as a 95. I have a 1963 that I found for a friend of mine in 2002 here in Oregon. He used it as a form of advertising for his business but it is now up for sale since he does not need it anymore. To see all ten pictures and learn more you can go to www.josemesa.com or just click here http://josemesa.com/1963chevroletcorvair95.html
josemesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #10
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by josemesa View Post
The first year Chevrolet made them was 1962 and they were labeled as a 95. I have a 1963 that I found for a friend of mine in 2002 here in Oregon. He used it as a form of advertising for his business but it is now up for sale since he does not need it anymore. To see all ten pictures and learn more you can go to www.josemesa.com or just click here http://josemesa.com/1963chevroletcorvair95.html
Beautiful truck! Once again it is proved that ALL Chevies look good with Rally wheels.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvair