Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
70 t/a
AF Newbie

68 cornet

I was looking at buying a 68 cornet. The fender tag is missing and the seller doesn't know what model the cornet is. Does any one know what the differences are between cornet 440,500,r/t. Or how I can tell what model it is.
70 t/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:17 PM   #2
Andrewh
AF Newbie

Re: 68 cornet

those are all trim levels. The 440 was the lowest. Basic trim, bench seats, on the dash near or on the glove box should be a call out. Vin would tell you too.
wp would be 500, wh I think is rt. wm or wl would be 440, but I am not positive. The second letter would tell you though.
Andrewh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:19 AM   #3
tony36
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to tony36

The difference wasn't just trim models. My 69 440 came stock with a 318, totally original. A friend of mine had a 68 R/T that came with a 440 stock(what a runner)R/T stood for race tuned, it was more of a performance package. That is where Dodge came up with the SRT, same principle. Like now, back then you could get a few different models with the R/T package, but it was definately mor than a trim package. I'm not sure about what the 500 was in the Coronet.
tony36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Just to nit-pick a little...

R/T was advertised as "Road/Track". In some of the more "racy" ads, it was refered to it as "Rapid Transit", but I believe that was just a "play on words".

Agreed, "440" models are the lower end of the spectrum, most had 318s in them (I had a '68). 500s are the "sporty" model, short of going to Charger or R/T. Most 500s I've seen were 2-doors. They also had mostly 318s, but I HAVE seen a few with 361s or 383s (year dependent). And while we're on the subject of hot Dodges, let's not forget "Super Bee" ("hot" B-body...). Cool cars! Another "spin" on the Coronet.

One of the prettiest cars I've ever seen, belongs to one of my friends here in Virginia. '66 Coronet 500, 2-door hard top, 361 4-bbl. Black on red. GORGEOUS!

FWIW

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
actmach
AF Newbie

Here are a few fax on the R/T cornet road & track they were a step up from the super bee in 68 they came from the factory with Dana 60 front disc the hemi 4 spd and an hp 440 standard the option was a 426 hemi and if you take out the back seat under the passengers side in the springs you will find a paper that will tell you everything about that car if someone hasn't bet you to it
actmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
sub006
AF Enthusiast

R/T was definitely Road/Track from Dodge.

Rapid Transit was a PLYMOUTH line designation.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical