Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 06:26 AM   #1
policeman69
AF Newbie

Post Pop-Charger and Performance Exhaust

I was looking into the performance exhaust on the Nissan site and the JWT Pop-Charger or K&N charger. I was just curious how much horse power they add and if you need to use premium gas after you get them installed.

Also, are the air chargers easy to install. I just need a little more power and speed....and I need to burn a little more gas
policeman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 07:35 AM   #2
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

You can expect:

Pop charger will add 2 or 3 HP.
K&N will add about 10 HP.

Not sure about the Nissan exhaust but figure maybe 5 HP for exhaust alone or 8-10 when used with the K&N aircharger.

Air charger is easy to install and the instructions are excellent that come with it. Pop Charger is even easier since it's just a cone filter that you attach to your factory stuff.

If your timing is correctly set, your oxygen sensors are working normally, and everything else is fine then you don't need premium fuel.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:22 AM   #3
policeman69
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info Chuck. I appreciate it.

Now if I can only make the mods without my wife knowing :sun:
Old 03-14-2003, 08:35 AM   #4
policeman69
AF Newbie

Another quick question. Are K&N air chargers legal???
I seen on some websites about emissions concerns.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:24 AM   #5
evergreen
AF Enthusiast

the drop in k&n filters are legal everywhere. the large cone filters (FIPK's) should be legal everywhere, but i am not sure about california.
your screen name is policeman69 and your asking about legality?
Old 03-14-2003, 07:39 PM   #6
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by policeman69
Another quick question. Are K&N air chargers legal???
I seen on some websites about emissions concerns.
The AirCharger kit is not CARB approved (California Air, something, something, I think?) and so cannot be sold as 50 State legal. I believe K&N is in the process of obtaining this approval now.

The reality is that an air filter does not actually affect your emissions. By selling the AirCharger as an offroad use only item, K&N accomplishes the following:

They create revenue off the product which allows them to seek the expensive and time consuming CARB approval.

They cover their butts from consumers who want to get K&N to pay for emission problems that are not caused by the intake to begin with.

They satisfy the government and cover their butts there too!

And other things.

When the approval is granted, K&N will most likely change the name of the product to an FIPK model of some sort (fuel Injection Performance Kit). If you are concerned about legal issues you can watch for this or contact K&N and see if they have any news.

BTW, one of our club members ran the PopCharger when it was the only aftermarket filter available and he said he couldn't tell a difference in power and called it a "waste of money" or something along those lines. I can honestly say that I noticed a significant increase in throttle response and forward thrust after installing the AirCharger kit and everyone else I know who has it feels the same.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:00 AM   #7
policeman69
AF Newbie

Thanks for your help guys.
This was a debate when I was test driving them last year and I really liked the Supercharged version, but the price was a little out of my range. Now with gas prices soaring, I'm glad I don't have to pay for premium.

Has anybody ever seen a turbo-charger the the Xterra?
Old 03-15-2003, 09:05 AM   #8
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

No turbo kits and quite frankly I don't think turbo's are a good idea in gas powered trucks. THey create a tremendous amount of heat and still leave low end torque lacking.

Now if it were a diesel....

Spencer Low Racing has some mods that may help you out, such as Cams, throttle body, headers, etc. I plan to do headers and the larger throttle body then I'll probably add a supercharger at some point.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:51 PM   #9
sis27
AF Newbie

I have the Supercharged Xterra, since I'm at college I dont drive it enough to the point where gas prices kill me since I fill the tank every other week(it never gets below 1/4 tank.) Since I drive extremly aggressive at times I get anywhere from 180 miles to 240 miles on 3/4 of a tank. When I do drive it every day, I fill her up once or twice a week. I live just outside of Atlantic City, NJ & when I went to Williamsburg, VA. I only filled up the tank twice on the way down(one at home & one half-way) once there, & once the way up. The distance is about 350 miles one way. Hope this info on mileage helps anyone. My car only had about 1,000 miles on it, so that might affect the mileage.
Thanx
Simon
sis27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 10:33 PM   #10
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by sis27
Since I drive extremly aggressive at times I get anywhere from 180 miles to 240 miles on 3/4 of a tank. My car only had about 1,000 miles on it, so that might affect the mileage.
Thanx
Simon
Just a note. The manual has specific break in instructions for the first 1000 miles of your engine.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:46 AM   #11
sis27
AF Newbie

I know, but I'm not takin a road trip in a car that has trouble making it 50 miles let alone 350 miles. I never went too fast since it was two weeks old and we hit traffic the whole way down. That isn't a good excuse but would you cancel a road trip due to the car having approx. 1000 miles?
sis27 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail