Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Members Projects
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Members Projects Discussion of the AF 2G DSM Project Car
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #31
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to boostjunkie333
Re: Junkies 97 RS Rebuild(1st timer!)

When I took my car to have the oil changed once they told me my oil filter housing was loose, but not leaking. Here in the pictures, I demonstrate how it can move back and forth. There's a nut inside it where the oil filter screws on, and it was loose when I got the oil filter off...can anybody tell me whats going on here? Is it supposed to do that? do I just need to torque it on really hard or what? I slammed the oil filter once when I hit a pothole, causing the oil filter to rupture. Could this have damaged this filter housing? How could I fix it?
Hahn stage IV S16G-Portfueler w/400cc inj-1:1 Aeromotive FPR-Split sec fuel controller-Walbro 255lph FP-240cc inj-Hahn fuel mapper-JE pistons(8.1:1)-Total Seal rings-Eagle rods-ARP studs-AEM filter-C&R radiator-Hahn 3''downpipe & cat-Thermal Eng. 3''catback-LUK clutch & flywheel-Eibach springs-Eibach offset bushings-KYB GR2 struts-Strut bars-Lower rear tie bar-GReddy boost controller-Apexi T timer-Powerslot rotors-Gloshift gauges
boostjunkie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #32
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

That's an aftermarket oil sandwich adapter. I hate those, like passionate about hating those. That nut needs to be tightened good. Is the O-ring in the adapter still there and good?

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #33
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

Yea tighten the hell out of it and i always put some silicon on the oring to help keep it from leaking
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #34
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Yeah I don't like it very much either, seems like nothing but problems with it so far. I'll check on the o ring. So, that link I posted witht he pulleys, timing belt, and pump, is that safe to buy?
Hahn stage IV S16G-Portfueler w/400cc inj-1:1 Aeromotive FPR-Split sec fuel controller-Walbro 255lph FP-240cc inj-Hahn fuel mapper-JE pistons(8.1:1)-Total Seal rings-Eagle rods-ARP studs-AEM filter-C&R radiator-Hahn 3''downpipe & cat-Thermal Eng. 3''catback-LUK clutch & flywheel-Eibach springs-Eibach offset bushings-KYB GR2 struts-Strut bars-Lower rear tie bar-GReddy boost controller-Apexi T timer-Powerslot rotors-Gloshift gauges
Old 03-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #35
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

I have problems with timing belts not being from the dealership, but it's your call. Seems ok, says they use name brands.

For the sandwich is that the feed/return for the turbo or an oil cooler?

75 Monte Carlo

Old 03-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #36
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Oil cooler feed and return.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #37
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Here's a photo of the port fueler if anybody's interested in how they look/work.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #38
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Ok, if im going to remove the head fromt he block, then I need to remove the camshaft correct? Or what do I do first...and do I need to mark the cam sprockets at the top center? I cant seem to find anything about this in the manual...
Old 03-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #39
vanilla gorilla
AF Enthusiast

No, you don't need to remove the cam....and no the cam gears should be marked.

'99 Spyder 2.4 5-speed - Red/black,14b,slow
'96 Eclipse GST 5-speed - Paint
www.myspace.com/ballsoutperformance
vanilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:31 AM   #40
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Ok, couple questions.

1)If im going to be taking the head and block completely apart, do I need to mark anything on the cam gears or anything like that?

2)I ran into a problem trying to get the timing belt off(and cam gears, and that plastic cover that covers the cam gears), do I have to pull the crank pulley off first? And if so, do I need to get a special tool to do it?

3)Does that plastic cover need to go back on? I just see where some people leave them off...
Old 03-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #41
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

It's easier to take the head off with no cams installed. Easier to get to the head bolts and don't need and angled heads or anything

Cam gears are already marked. Only fit on the cams 1 way.

Crank pulley has to come off first. The plastic cover has numerous hidden bolts all over. The pulley will need a special tool. You can always cut the TB since you're not reusing it anyways.

You don't need to put the cover back on, but I would recommend it (even though mine is off). I'm designing a custom metal lower cover for mine. Just think, 1 rock can get in the timing belt by the crank sprocket and screw up your timing/motor.

75 Monte Carlo

Old 03-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #42
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Ok, which special tool do I need, is it the 3 jaw puller?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #43
vanilla gorilla
AF Enthusiast

I have never worked on a 420a but you shouldnt need any type of puller. Just take the bolt(s) out and yank on it.

'99 Spyder 2.4 5-speed - Red/black,14b,slow
'96 Eclipse GST 5-speed - Paint
www.myspace.com/ballsoutperformance
vanilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #44
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

I used a crowbar on the first pulley, but destroyed the plastic covering. There's a special tool you should use to pull it. It's a 3-jaw puller. Dont have the part number handy right now.

75 Monte Carlo

Old 03-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #45
boostjunkie333
AF Enthusiast

Ok, I bought a puller, Which then made me wonder how im supposed to get the pulley back on...

Also, Im reading and reading...and can't seem to figure out what im looking for lol. Im just thoroughly confused about something. If I take the cams out(with the cam gears attached) and then proceed to take the head off, and then finally the internals out, when I go to put it all back together, do I just put the internals back together, put the head back on, and just lay the cams right into place? Or is there something i'm missing...like Im confused about the placement of the pistons and everything when I go to put the cams back in...and its making me nervous lol

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Members Projects