Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
AtruEulogy
AF Newbie

Small Problem. Solve before gets bigger, Help please.

small problem with my 95 subaru impreza L model.. 1.8l 5speed A week ago, i noticed i had lost my gas cap. I baught a cheap to replace it. since then, ive noticed that my car engine light came on. and every morning, after car sits all night long, it takes about 4 to 5 tries for car to start.

first try, car dont turn over. 2nd try car turns over but only runs for 2 or 3 sec and stalls out. 3rd try, it starts. low idol stalls or when give gas bogs and stalls. on 4th and usualy final try, it starts. low idol kinda ruff running, wait a few sec, give gas, and it starts running with no problem. and idol evens itself out around 1000, quite and smooth.

Keep in mind. Car has 160k on it. no engine nocks, no weird noises, this car is a tank, runs great once it gets passed all the first couple key turns. IM guessing that the gas isnt staying in the fuel lines. and therefore its basically having to prime itself with key turns. i noticed when i pull the new gas cap off. there is no release of pressure or sound. when i had the old one on before i lost it, it would make a Pshhhhh. when taking cap off. Can somone help me with a list of problems and how i can determine what the problem most likely is.

things ive done.

Cheap gas cap from advanced auto. $9 replacement cap. (engine light still on)
1 bottle of gas treatment. to make sure there was no water in there from when i lost my gas cap.

Battery is working enough to start car along with multiple tries. although i did notice one of the battery cells to be low when i first baught the car two months ago. i filled it and it seems to start the car fine.

i did all the norm, oil change and treatment for high milage engine.

What now? how do i check whats causeing my lack of gas on start up.

Fuel pump is running. Once i get car started and running. it drives and runs great.

any help will be great. Thanks.
AtruEulogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Re: Small Problem. Solve before gets bigger, Help please.

If the check engine liight is on find out what the code is. It may or may not be relateds to the gas cap. If not related it may give you a clue as to where to start looking!

Quote:
first try, car dont turn over
You physically cannot hear the motor being turned over by the starter? If thats the case it may be worth checking the battery connection to make sure they are tight and clean?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
AtruEulogy
AF Newbie

yes, i hear the starter. and everything. it tries, but has no fuel to run on. through the first couple key turns. you can hear it starting to get gas. it actually starts. and shuts. then gets stronger. and stronger. till finaly settles and runs mint. very strange. yah doesnt advanced auto or one of those places hook up to computer for free?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
AtruEulogy
AF Newbie

i totaly worded that wrong. Let me restate my first quote. The car on the first try, turns the engine, but wont start. you hear everything seems to work properly. just no gas. almost like as if i tried to start a car with no fuel. Just chu chu chu chu click. then. chu chu chu vrooom stall. then, chu chu vrooooooom stall.. then a chu vrooooom. pur like kitten. Forgive the typed sound effects. but just like that. The Chu, is the engine turning but not starting. and the battery seems to have plenty of power. where if the car didnt start, it would keep trying. battey is ok, im confident in that. I tightened terminals as well.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

I guess I would check fuel pressure first to see if that is actually the problem or not.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
RahX
AF Enthusiast

I'm all for getting the code that is set.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
AtruEulogy
AF Newbie

well thanks for the ideas guys. my buddy just scored a small code tester from his friend. so we going to hook up and see what the engine lights on for. I will be back tomarow to let you guys know what i get. and if i fix it or not. I may need some more advice when i find the code out.

Keep checking for my new post.

Thanks everyone.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > General Discussion