Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Members Project Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Members Project Cars View the various project buildups of the AF members in our community.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:33 AM   #16
bqqper
AF Newbie

Re: Synthetic Oil question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jayson-
synthetic oil molecules are smaller and lubricate better, why would anyone want to make there engine have more friction? I dont see the benefit of that to make it perform better. Not to mention if you do break it in with dino oil, you do get more friction that means more tiny metal particals in the oil, and when you do an oil change to synthetic, some of that old dino oil is going to stay in there, along with the metal particles that are in it.
Older engine tolerances are usually bigger then newer ones.
A buddy told me, while he was watching the speed channel, that he heard soon the only oil that will stop friction is the kind you put in or is recommend for a diesel engine.
That there was some sort of chemical being taking out of reg oil because all newer cars dont need the same kind of protection they did before.
Maybe this is why a corvette comes out of the factory full of synthetic.(no doubt a blueprinted engine) Not sure a corvette is a good example for this conversation.

Now this may be an old thread but it is a good one, indeed, and it is what made me join this forum...
I have a project 67 mustang coupe w/ 351 Cleveland and I owned it for bout 13 years. I de-tuned it, the engine, from when I bought it as well we rebuilt it. After it sat in the yard for almost a decade, I started driving it again. (Good starter for my first thread)
We'd always put synthetic in. Even when it had solid lifters.
I wish I knew more what all we are talking about here, I didnt see the TV article that my friend did, and I always thought oil was oil. But if I rob my engine of those big friction protecting molecules and have to scrap it, I will have to sue the oil industry the way smokers sued the tobacco. lol

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Members Project Cars