Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Colorado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
gameofsk8
AF Newbie

improve a 4 cyl

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I would like to say that I only have very basic knowledge of the automotive world. I recently purchased a 2006 Chevy Colorado with a 4 cylinder Vortec engine. I originally planned on doing an engine swap for a Chevy 350 but have decided on keeping the truck how it is due to financial reasons. I plan on buying a chassis and building my own toy from the ground up later on.

I am curious as to what I can do to this truck to give it better performance while still keeping the original Vortec engine. I figured I could give it dual sport exhaust and an aftermarket air intake but I draw a blank after that. Is it possible to buy aftermarket headers for this 4 banger engine? Could I bore out the cylinders (don't know if that is strange to do to a 4 cyl)? A buddy told me I should also get a chip upgrade.

What do you guys recomend? I'm not trying to make it a race machine but just get more power out of it while keeping the engine. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you
gameofsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
spacecadet45
AF Newbie

Re: improve a 4 cyl

I'd say you're safe with just an exhaust and an intake. You should really save all your other money that you WANT to blow on your Colorado for starting up your project truck. In my opinion, putting money into such a small truck is not worth it. That truck will last you a looooong time anyways too, so don't think you have to change much on it. For a truck like your Colorado looks can be everything, especially since you want to keep the Vortec. Have fun starting from scratch and make that your pride and joy!
spacecadet45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Re: improve a 4 cyl

You lookin' for performance or look/sound?

For performance, forced induction wakes up a 4 cylinder like you wouldn't believe. My car went from average to so fast nobody has beat it. I'm half serious there, nobody really fast thinks the run vs. a completely stock (looking) Cavalier is worth their gas or time . It is fast though, definitely worth the $4,000 for the supercharger and related components!

I know there are aftermarket supercharger kits for the 5 and 6 cylinder engines, not sure about the 4 cylinder. If there's not a kit, you'll have to do some custom work, which you indicated may not be possible. I'm not sure about this particular engine, but typically you can add 50% more HP with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet45 View Post
In my opinion, putting money into such a small truck is not worth it. That truck will last you a looooong time anyways too, so don't think you have to change much on it.
Size is irrelevant; 500 HP in a Colorado is much more impressive (and fun) than 500 HP in a Silverado. Plus something small can be driven every day and not cost a fortune in gas. That truck will last a long time... why not put some money into it and make it faaast?
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Colorado