Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Members Project Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Members Project Cars View the various project buildups of the AF members in our community.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Cavi_Kid015
AF Newbie

Performance Tires

Hey whats up guys, been an extremely long time since i posted here, need 2 update my mods list . Anyways i am trying 2 order some Konig feather wheels for my Subaru SVX. Since weight is a huge issue for my car i chose these because the 17's are only 16.8 lbs. The stock wheels on the SVX are 17x7.5. These rims come in 17x7s but im also wanting 2 order performance Tires. I have no knowledge of brands, sizes, anything that is good for racing on tires. All i know is they are very thin . im thinking if i get these "thin" tires then maybe i will be able 2 get 18s or something. I dont wanna get these rims and then get performance tires and there be a huge open space. Any constructive comments appreciated.
Cavi_Kid015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
pimp349
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to pimp349
Re: Performance Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi_Kid015
Any constructive comments appreciated.
1) Wrong section.
2) Falkens are really nice I hear, my Bridgestone potenzas have been through hell and still hold up well, the sidewalls are very strong.
3) Go to http://www.tirerack.com and see what looks how on your vehicle.
4) In sure there is an SVX enthusiast forum where all your questions will be answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurg
Realizing that the kids who entered Elementary School in 2006 were never alive in the 20th century.
pimp349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
Cavi_Kid015
AF Newbie

Yeah the SVX forum is dead though it is a fairly rare car and the site was ran by a single person. I have looked for many sites and all have had the same turn out. Thanks for the Link though, i think i may go with the Advan Neova AD07's they had the best reviews and look nice on my car. Not going 2 rush into buying them though, still gonna be doing some looking around.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
Twizted_3KGT
AF Enthusiast

If I owned an SVX, I would just worry about the transmission blowing. I don't think i've ever seen one for sale without either a blown tranny or a rebuilt one in it.
1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - 269AWHP/290AWTQ (Mustang Dyno) - 12.616@106.74 - 1.756 60ft. - 8.06@83.59 (Best TDO4-9B Time) - Driver Mod - IPS TD04-19TL - SPEC 4+ - Wiseco Pistons - 3SX Custom Forged Rods - PMP FMIC + Much More.
Twizted_3KGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
Musashi3000GT
AF Enthusiast

Nice race!

Get over to tirerack a read some stuff. Tires are the biggest most important factor when it comes to handling.

06 GTO: SLP Longtubes, SLP Loudmouth II K&N intake,
Ported Intake Manifold,
Ported Throttle body, MAF screen delete.
Tunned by Jeremy Formato. 381whp, 376wtq.
07 Ion Redline: Bone stock w/ factory Competition package.

In response to a race my wife had while pregnant with our baby:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgclwj
Prediction.... I bet we will hear about a guy down in Miami thats the King of street racing in about 18 years...Way to get him started....
Musashi3000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
TatII
AF Fanatic

do you want max performance summer only tires or do you want good all season tires?

if its max performance tires, from personal experience

Falken Azenis RT615 is extremely good
Kumho Ecsta MX is also very very good

if you want ultra high performance all seasons, i also have good experience with

Kumho Ecsta ASX

the Perrelli P Zero Nero all seasons are okay, but definitly not worth the cost.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
pimp349
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to pimp349

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatII
the Perrelli P Zero Nero all seasons are okay, but definitly not worth the cost.
You also have to take into account where you live, if you have great roads you can use any tire, if not that seriously limits your tire choice. I live in NYC...nothing but bubbles and cut sidewalls in Perrelis and others like it, thats why I love my Potenzas, I think they were designed for NYC .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurg
Realizing that the kids who entered Elementary School in 2006 were never alive in the 20th century.
pimp349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
Cavi_Kid015
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted_3KGT
If I owned an SVX, I would just worry about the transmission blowing. I don't think i've ever seen one for sale without either a blown tranny or a rebuilt one in it.

I got a brand new Stage 2 performance transmission, and the roads where i live are extremely horrible, they are current rebuilding alot of them, where they arnt brand new its like off roading almost. The thing is where i live it is extremely hot in the summer and gets pretty cold during the winter, but i am in the south, so i have been looking more towards summer tires since we get little 2 no snow/ice, but an efficent amount of rain.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

For summer-only rubber (which I run in the winter in PA anyway ) I suggest Toyo Proxes T1R. They are incredible at grip and they have a very progressive breakaway. Mine are 45-series so they have a bit more sidewall than yours will, but they grip like glue and so far seem to be living up to their 280 treadwear rating. They are excellent with wet traction, and at least well above average in hydroplaning resistance.

I've not had much luck with all-season max performance rubber. In my opinion, avoid Pirelli's all season tires. I've had a couple cars that came with P1000 supersports and they were horrible. I had one set on a car that I drove HARD and after 30k they still had lots of tread... that is to say, the rubber compound was way too hard, grip was pathetic, and in the wet they gave you NO warning when they were going to let loose.

I also had a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE750s that I loved but the performance was about on par with the Proxes and I only got 15k out of them. Not worth the price in my opinion given their life span.

Michelin makes excellent tires and I suggest a glance at their Pilot Sport PS2, but its been a while since I was up on their latest technology. Kumho has some nice Ecsta712s that do pretty well. They're kinda in between an all-season and summer only tire.

I strongly dislike anything that continental, avon, and General make. They never quite got the performance experience that the others did. Truck tires, sure, but not performance rubber.

If you wish, call my uncle Lee Moore at tire rack. I think his extension is 623. He autocrosses vettes, has a BMW 7-series, and tire rack constantly tests and flogs tires on their own fleet. Every time I call him he's discussing the super fine points of tires and how his first set of Potenzas had a slightly more progressive sidewall flex than the second set, or how he could tell that this batch of Michelins had a little more silica in the rubber than last month. He's amazing. He's tried them all, and it doesn't hurt that TireRack is like the walmart of tires. You know that they'll be as cheap as possible.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Members Project Cars