Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
BobTaylor31
AF Newbie

Question Service 4X4 on screen 2005 Chevy Tahoe

I'm told that it could be the switch for the 4X4 system ( on the dash ), or the Encoder motor sensor or the encoder motor on the transfer case. The service writer at the GM dealer says that I cannot replace the Encoder motor/sensor myself because once you remove the old one and install and plug in the new one it has to be programmed first. Is this true? The dealer wants to charge $218.00 in labor to replace the motor plus $557 for the new part (if that is indeed the problem). How will they determine whether it is the Encoder Motor, the sensor, or the switch on the dash? Will they simply plug in a scanner and read codes or will they actually do electrical testing on each part and measure resistances? I'm trying to save as much money as I can. I found the OEM replacement Encoder motor/sensor for $249 on eBay. It's held on by 2 bolts, can't take more than 10 - 15 minutes to change myself. Can I change it myself and then drive it to a shop with a scanner to have it programmed? Any help would be appreciated.
BobTaylor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Service 4X4 on screen 2005 Chevy Tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTaylor31 View Post
I'm told that it could be the switch for the 4X4 system ( on the dash ), or the Encoder motor sensor or the encoder motor on the transfer case. The service writer at the GM dealer says that I cannot replace the Encoder motor/sensor myself because once you remove the old one and install and plug in the new one it has to be programmed first. Is this true? The dealer wants to charge $218.00 in labor to replace the motor plus $557 for the new part (if that is indeed the problem). How will they determine whether it is the Encoder Motor, the sensor, or the switch on the dash? Will they simply plug in a scanner and read codes or will they actually do electrical testing on each part and measure resistances? I'm trying to save as much money as I can. I found the OEM replacement Encoder motor/sensor for $249 on eBay. It's held on by 2 bolts, can't take more than 10 - 15 minutes to change myself. Can I change it myself and then drive it to a shop with a scanner to have it programmed? Any help would be appreciated.
this does not need to be programed...the question is what is your problem ????also did the dealer pull the DTC drive train codes ??
or is he just guessing at YOUR expense..

log in with the drive train DTC and your issues with the 4X4 ....then answers can be given...you are not the first with this problem...

no programing is required...it could also be the 4x4 control circuit next to the dash 4x4 switch...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
RockypointJake
AF Newbie

I am having this same problem and I am not sure what log in with the DTC means. I am hoping I don't have to spend a lot to get this fixed. Thanks
RockypointJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockypointJake View Post
I am having this same problem and I am not sure what log in with the DTC means. I am hoping I don't have to spend a lot to get this fixed. Thanks
report what the DTC is which , is the failure code of the drivetrain...this means you will need a gm specific drive train capable scanner...
Old 02-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
cory e
AF Newbie

hey reading the past post i think i can put some insight on what your problem is.if you are getting a message that say service 4x4 and you can see the all the lights on you 4x4 buttons are not light up you are going to need a new 2 wd 4wd switch sensor it comes as a whole button cluster the cost of this part a chevy is 90.00. now if you get a message that says service 4x4 and stability system disabled , and when i say stability system disabled i mean like if you where to push your traction control off ,you will know if you have this message cause you will not be able to turn the traction on or off and the the t/c light will be on in the upper left corner of your dash .if this happend with the service 4x4 message you will need to get a encoder motor that is on the side of the transfer case this part will cost 450 at the chevy dealer the motor also comes with the sensor .if you you have access to a good code reader and not some cheap one from your local parts store i am sure you are going to get the c0327 code that means you are going to need that encoder motor .i see this problem at my shop with at least 50 chevy trucks a year this is a very known problem with chevy they just do want to say anything about it so they dont have to recall it .both of these parts you can change your self in a few hrs ,you also do not have to program the encoder motor . ihope this helps you guys out .

also if you start to experience any type of ruff shifting skipping gears wont down shift its that encoder motor dont worry you dont need a new tranny dont let anyone tell you that you do

cory e
gm certified mechanic
cory e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory e View Post
hey reading the past post i think i can put some insight on what your problem is.if you are getting a message that say service 4x4 and you can see the all the lights on you 4x4 buttons are not light up you are going to need a new 2 wd 4wd switch sensor it comes as a whole button cluster the cost of this part a chevy is 90.00. now if you get a message that says service 4x4 and stability system disabled , and when i say stability system disabled i mean like if you where to push your traction control off ,you will know if you have this message cause you will not be able to turn the traction on or off and the the t/c light will be on in the upper left corner of your dash .if this happend with the service 4x4 message you will need to get a encoder motor that is on the side of the transfer case this part will cost 450 at the chevy dealer the motor also comes with the sensor .if you you have access to a good code reader and not some cheap one from your local parts store i am sure you are going to get the c0327 code that means you are going to need that encoder motor .i see this problem at my shop with at least 50 chevy trucks a year this is a very known problem with chevy they just do want to say anything about it so they dont have to recall it .both of these parts you can change your self in a few hrs ,you also do not have to program the encoder motor . ihope this helps you guys out .

also if you start to experience any type of ruff shifting skipping gears wont down shift its that encoder motor dont worry you dont need a new tranny dont let anyone tell you that you do

cory e
gm certified mechanic
cory your troubleshooting this like some repair garage in the remote mountains of mexico ! you know or should know since you are a professional gm trained tech that the drivetrain codes need be pulled to determine what need be done ...

I welcome you to the forums but give us some usable input ..not typical backyard mechanic guessing...
Old 02-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
cory e
AF Newbie

wow !!!!!! so again i have see this problem over 50 times a year. the only thing that is going to set those messages off is what i talked about ! but forget about trying to help some people out. its because of jackasses like you people are out there spending thousands of dollars trying to get something fixed when all they needed was a $300 part and 20 min to put it in
i can already see that there is going to be a bunch of dumbass hicks on here so sorry for trying to help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
wow !!!!!! so again i have see this problem over 50 times a year. the only thing that is going to set those messages off is what i talked about ! but forget about trying to help some people out. its because of jackasses like you people are out there spending thousands of dollars trying to get something fixed when all they needed was a $300 part and 20 min to put it in
i can already see that there is going to be a bunch of dumbass hicks on here so sorry for trying to help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cory the problem is no testing just guessing...GM has delvoped diagnostics to reveal failures...then the technician using his test equiptment verifies then replaces this defective part , or makes other corrective actions which may not require a part...

your idea of just because I seen this 50 times that means it must be the problem is why we here have reports from owners paying 1000.oo for these repairs..at the dealership .....while others have made these repairs for less than 200.00 by themselves or a non dealership..

My experience is with large computer controlled transportation vehicles that have far greater monitoring / controlling electronics and with the cost of these parts one does not guess but use the computer program to resolve issues of operation in a more precise professional unguessing way..

If you did properly troubleshoot your work at the dealership , I would suspect that you would be fired ....! replacing parts is part of the dealerships profit ...guessing is good for profit !
Old 03-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
cory e
AF Newbie

wow go back and read the firs post i put up . i told you if you are getting the service 4x4 and the traction off light at the same time you are going to get the same code every time .like i said i have been doing this for 20 years every time i see this problem the person pays less then 500 for the fix not 1000s.

c0327 every time !!! encoder motor
Old 03-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
wow go back and read the firs post i put up . i told you if you are getting the service 4x4 and the traction off light at the same time you are going to get the same code every time .like i said i have been doing this for 20 years every time i see this problem the person pays less then 500 for the fix not 1000s.

c0327 every time !!! encoder motor

there have been owners that had wiring issues that caused this code...sure with this code 90% it would be the encoder...

With the drive train code given this can then used to help this repairer using troubleshooting proceedures to make the correct repairs..

also if parts are needed where to get them...for a reasonable cost..
Old 12-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
pcogs
AF Newbie

I have been having the following problems with my 2005 tahoe intermittantly for over a year
Stability System Disabled
Service 4 Wheel Drive
Traction Control Light on
Sometimes when first starting and for a while after engine would not exceed 1800 Rpms after highway driving this would start to function normal.

I have taken to Chevy twice to get fixed, first they told me a had hundreds of codes so they thought it was my auto car start interfering with it. I had that taken out and for a little while it was ok but I think that was just coincidence. Then i took it back again and they told me still too many codes they don't know what to do.
found this thread and took it in again, this time they said no codes? and we cant replicate. I don't know how that's possible because it's been to the point where all the warning indicators were constant and you cant shift from 2wd to anything else.
Based on Corye advice I told them to just replace the encoder motor and sensor. 1.5 hours and $289 later my truck is finally running like a charm, no warning lights, everything perfect. If his style is "backyard mechanic" it worked for me when nobody else could fix it.
Thanks Cory
pcogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #12
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcogs View Post
I have been having the following problems with my 2005 tahoe intermittantly for over a year
Stability System Disabled
Service 4 Wheel Drive
Traction Control Light on
Sometimes when first starting and for a while after engine would not exceed 1800 Rpms after highway driving this would start to function normal.

I have taken to Chevy twice to get fixed, first they told me a had hundreds of codes so they thought it was my auto car start interfering with it. I had that taken out and for a little while it was ok but I think that was just coincidence. Then i took it back again and they told me still too many codes they don't know what to do.
found this thread and took it in again, this time they said no codes? and we cant replicate. I don't know how that's possible because it's been to the point where all the warning indicators were constant and you cant shift from 2wd to anything else.
Based on Corye advice I told them to just replace the encoder motor and sensor. 1.5 hours and $289 later my truck is finally running like a charm, no warning lights, everything perfect. If his style is "backyard mechanic" it worked for me when nobody else could fix it.
Thanks Cory
with no engagement of 4wd the encoder is highly suspect since it is the weak link doing all the heavy work.

replace the tranfercase fluid every 30,ooomi with or without any 4wd use as this fluid gets damaged from heat and friction.

this will reduce the encoders work load.

other causes holes in the transfercase,fluid damaged to a black color,wires chewed up by rodents, even holes in the encoder motor housing.

the switch on the dash is a common easy fix.re-solder the switch pins to the circuit board or buy new switch..

to bad you couldn't have cory the GM tech work on it . he is good at guessing not testing..

you know their is a testing proceedure for all this ! GM tech at dealership should have done this.
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
upthereinthesky (06-16-2012)
Old 12-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
pcogs
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info j cat. I hardly ever use the 4wd, only a couple of times in the worst of snow storms. I have never had the 4wd serviced and I don't do any work on my cars personally.
I will bring it in and have the transfer case fluid changed.
As far as them doing the diagnostics, they did. I just went and checked my records and it turns out I went three prior times, twice to one place and once to another. This last time I went to yet a third place and when they couldn't give me an answer that's when I just told them to replace the encoder.
Just hit 100k in my truck a couple of weeks ago and I'm really happy about having this fixed. This was the only issue I have had over the last 60k miles. Prior to that I had the intermittent steering shaft replaced 2x.
I love this truck and hope I hit 200k with it. This is my 3rd tahoe, I put a lot of miles on them and have traded the last 2 in with around 55k miles on them.
pcogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcogs View Post
Thanks for the info j cat. I hardly ever use the 4wd, only a couple of times in the worst of snow storms. I have never had the 4wd serviced and I don't do any work on my cars personally.
I will bring it in and have the transfer case fluid changed.
As far as them doing the diagnostics, they did. I just went and checked my records and it turns out I went three prior times, twice to one place and once to another. This last time I went to yet a third place and when they couldn't give me an answer that's when I just told them to replace the encoder.
Just hit 100k in my truck a couple of weeks ago and I'm really happy about having this fixed. This was the only issue I have had over the last 60k miles. Prior to that I had the intermittent steering shaft replaced 2x.
I love this truck and hope I hit 200k with it. This is my 3rd tahoe, I put a lot of miles on them and have traded the last 2 in with around 55k miles on them.
just the other day I was checking out the silverado drive train fluids, and other under body components for condition.

looking at the transfer case encoder motor, I can see how off roading with no shielding to protect it , has caused some to have severe damage to the case.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #15
girl in need
AF Newbie

I' m having these same problems. the service 4 wheel drive came on a few months ago and only comes on now when on long trips.... now the stabilitytrac system disabled was on. It was in 4 wheel drive so i switched it back to 2 wheel drive. is it unsafe to drive it like this?
girl in need is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
case , encoder , motor , transfer
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe