Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 02:25 AM   #1
jason4173
AF Newbie

Unhappy '86 jeep carb vacuum lines...Im lost!

I picked up an '86 Jeep Cherokee and had to replace the carb on it, turns out the guy that I got it from had the wrong one on it...the one that I have got for it, Rochester 2SE, seems to have more vaccum connections than the carb that came off and I have no clue where every thing is supposed to go. I looked at the diagram under the hood...might as well be in a different language!

Does anyone know where I can see a picture of, or tell me where everything goes????

Thanks for the help!
jason4173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
wwwildman
AF Regular

Re: '86 jeep carb vacuum lines...Im lost!

I got this off the autozone website:http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
wwwildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
sector95
AF Regular

Hey Jason ...I feel your pain. I have an '85 S10 with the same engine/carb setup. If you would like, I can take some pics and e-mail them to you. Unfortunately the schematic diagrams are probably not going to be much more help than the underhood diagram. There are some one-way check valves in some of the vacuum lines ...hopefully the PO left them in place. He must have used the E2SE version of the Vacu-Jet carb (Calif. emissions) because I don't think you can fit any other carb on that engine. If that was the case then you should have all the hoses and check valves. Do yourself a favor and use new vacuum hoses ...this way you know they have *all* been replaced.

Mike
00XJ
85S10
sector95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
jason4173
AF Newbie

I have a schematic under the hood and in my repair manual...and like you said...not getting much out of them. I did finally get the thing running tonight tho, a little hair pulling, a couple bleeding knuckles, and a bunch of swearing I got it going. I got the timming set as best I could by ear until I can get a gun on it but it is running good.

I do have another post on here tho about the vaccum lines for the 4x4....it is driven off of manifold vaccum from two canisters that sit on top of the pass side fender under the hood. Someone has cut the Red and Blue lines that go to the transfer case (??I think??) and removed the lines from the canisters and now I am not sure what I should have connected to the canisters and which one or if both of the red and blue lines should be connected to vaccum. It seems that one of them, or someplace, there should be a "release" so when the 4x4 is disengaged the vaccum is taken off but the air pressure has to go somewhere...any help on this would be GREAT!!!

Thanks for the replies!!!
jason4173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
sector95
AF Regular

As far as anyting with the 4WD setup, I can't help you; my S10 is 2WD and even if it was 4WD, the setup would probably be different.

The GM 2.8L is a booger to work on and the VacuJet carb is an evil little device ...the two together are a nightmare. I suspect that if the PO had used the E2SE carb then most of your hoses should have been in place; the vehicle flat won't run if there are too many hoses missing.

Good luck with your project

Mike
sector95 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee