Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 06:50 AM   #1
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Porsche 935/78 Moby Dick

I would have loved to state "I'm building the Tamiya Porsche 935/78" but it has been long out of production and I can't find an affordable copy.

So I figured, let's try to design my own 3D model of this car, so I can print and build it.

My design skills are far from expert, so I'm learning as I go, but I'm liking it. So after a couple of hours, the shape starts to come out.

And by now I can start to concentrate more on the distinct lines of this Porsche. The characteristic intake on top of the nose, intake for the intercoolers in the rear fenders and so on.

All in all... I'm continuing to make progress and the car starts to look more and more on the original. Fingers crossed I can pull this off

Arno
Deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 04:13 AM   #2
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Re: Porsche 935/78 Moby Dick

Working the front bumper today and I'm happy with the overal shape. As it appears now, only the front lip needs to be created.

Obviously I had to 'clean up' some small defects in the mesh, but that will be a continuing story designing in 3D.
All in all,,, very happy with the progress.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:21 AM   #3
Deathtrap
AF Regular

The changes become smaller and smaller as I move more into the details. This time the rubbers around the front windshield were created.

I've also isolated the aero parts of the doors. This allows for easier printing and painting. The same will happen for the big wing. Eventually, I might end up separating more body panels, but first get this model out in its basic shape.

Old 05-01-2023, 06:25 AM   #4
Deathtrap
AF Regular

This weekend I've been working on some of the panel lines. The line for the door and front truck have been don.

This car really doesn't have all that many panel lines, since all body parts were made of fiber glass in real big chunks. They just had to be light weight as the tubular frame kept the rigidity.
So maybe one or two panel lines left on the rear end, other than that, I think that is done. About time to get working on the big rear wing.
Old 05-05-2023, 01:48 AM   #5
Deathtrap
AF Regular

I've worked on the rear wing. It consists of multiple parts that allow for easy printing and potentially for adding more details when building the model.

Old 05-05-2023, 11:51 AM   #6
to-mek
AF Newbie

Wow, impressive 3D modeling.
Old 05-06-2023, 04:07 AM   #7
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Looks great so far. I have the 1:24 Tamiya Kit, however the interior needs some addidional or scratch work, to look good
Old 05-07-2023, 03:56 AM   #8
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportracer02 View Post
Looks great so far. I have the 1:24 Tamiya Kit, however the interior needs some additional or scratch work, to look good
I guess you are not offering if for selling

Anyways, I've come so far now, I'm going to finish this anyway.

This morning I spend some time working on the air vents on the wheel wells

Work on the front is done, but the rears still need to be solidified, so they become printable.
Old 05-09-2023, 02:54 AM   #9
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Just a small update this time. I managed to create the grill in the engine cover. I had to do that twice, as my first design was incorrect.

Old 05-11-2023, 02:44 AM   #10
Deathtrap
AF Regular

In order to be able to print the body, the model has to be made solid. From the pictures below, you can spot some red areas, those are all 'insides' that I need to give an external side as well.

And because those colors were making me dizzy... I sculpted the mirrors.
Old 05-15-2023, 01:58 AM   #11
Deathtrap
AF Regular

With the entire model solidified, it's time to do a grand review

And that is where I spotted an importen part missing. The side panels at the rear continued on the bottom as well. Forming sort of a diffusor. So I quickly molded those in as well.

And although some minor bits are still missing (I had to leave them out for now, because the are asymetrical; like the petrol filler caps and 1 air intake), it was time to run a test print.

I'm quite sure I've missed something that needs a bit more tweaking, but that is okay. Although I do hope I'm very very close to getting this right.
Old 05-16-2023, 02:20 AM   #12
Deathtrap
AF Regular

The results of my test print from yesterday might seem a bit shocking, as the body broke in a few area's. This was mostly because I had put WAY to many support on it.

But the breaking points also do provide me with a hint that they might need some reinforcement. As do the sides of the body, as the walls are a bit too thin.
I think that with an additional hour or 2 these issues can all be fixed and I can start adding in the asymmetrical details. When that is done, print number 2 will follow.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:11 AM   #13
MarcoSaupe
AF Regular

That looks very nice!
Old 05-19-2023, 04:44 PM   #14
corrrado
AF Regular

Lovely job on Blender with a great result!!! What wallthickness did you set for the model and what printer do you use?
corrrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 01:43 AM   #15
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Thanks. The wall thickness is a bit eye-balled to be honest. I did use a Solidify modifier, but that just didn't work to my liking. But I did some measurements afterwards and the thickness in most places is about 1.2mm. The window frames and louvres are thinner to keep their good looks.

But the last print didn't come out that well.

It looks okay from a distance, but upon close inspection I noticed a bit of a disrupted look.

The front part had broken loose of the build plate and I expect it had began to wobble during printing, resulting in the misprint.

Positively, my altered and added details came out very nice and even the wheel base is spot on, compared to a regular 911 frame (from Fujimi).

I'm currently retrying printing the model on a more steeper angle. #fingerscrossed

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports