Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts
Why I love coming on here, to 'waste away' an afternoon....

It's not often I get some 'free time', but when I do I often come on here and just 'hunt'; hunt for the missing pieces of info that don't appear in my files; hunt for those missing pictures to top up my folders; hunt to refresh me on recent threads I may have missed and not-so-recent threads and hunt to remind me what fantastic people we have on here, both now and in the past....

This afternoon I spent some [considerable] time using the 'search' function to pick up info I may have missed, as well as picking a page number at the bottom of the screen and seeing what threads appeared on that page....

from Cars with Gordon Murray's signature to Fast laps of Monza in a GTR to the Black LM's finally revealed to Rowan Atkinsons [1st] crash to a lot more in between not necessarily covered in the 'Best of the Best' thread.

I heartily recommend that, when you have some spare time, roll back the years [to 2002!] and discover new-to-you content either by using the search function or just by going back through the 79 pages of threads just to remind yourself what a great place this forum is and what great people [ both current high-posters and past posters] it has taken to get this forum to where it is today - the best resource for all things F1.

To everyone of you, , and
bucciali (06-06-2012), cabrio92 (06-14-2012), MrYoung (06-05-2012), Peloton25 (06-05-2012), Sami Aaltonen (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
Re: Why I love coming on here, to 'waste away' an afternoon....

Excellent thread Greg - I appreciate your sentiments and the message you are sending here.

The only word of caution I would offer is that going back in time often results in finding things that are either no longer true or in some unfortunate cases were never true to begin with. If you go mining for more than photos and come across some knowledge that doesn't seem right it would be best to ask again now so it can be cleared up if possible.

As I always tell people, there are things we know and things we think we know. The further back you go, the less we knew and the more we thought we knew.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
Excellent thread Greg - I appreciate your sentiments and the message you are sending here.

Quote:
The only word of caution I would offer is that going back in time often results in finding things that are either no longer true or in some unfortunate cases were never true to begin with. If you go mining for more than photos and come across some knowledge that doesn't seem right it would be best to ask again now so it can be cleared up if possible.

As I always tell people, there are things we know and things we think we know. The further back you go, the less we knew and the more we thought we knew.

>8^)
ER
Too true - seeing we thought #046 was actually #049 and that there were no Black LM's; what we do is learn; learn from new sources to correct old out-of-date info to keep this place as 'clean', efficient and on-track as we can. <- one of the main reasons I check this out on a daily basis
Old 06-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

In some ways our errors can be funny too. Go far enough back in the discussions - and maybe they took place on Supercars.net - but I was convinced that #038 was actually chassis #075.

>8^)
ER
Old 06-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
F1GTRUeno
AF Regular

I do enjoy going onto other forums and seeing what people ask about the F1's, then getting a post in before either of you two get there first. Often I leave a little message saying 'I'm sure Greg or Erik will come along and clear things up' because I'm usually sure I've missed something so it's nice when you do come along and say I've gotten things correct.

I don't have any detailed records whatsoever about the cars, could do with trawling through one day and making a big database but it shows just how much the posters on here have uncovered over time. Makes the enthusiasm for the F1 stronger knowing so much is available on here though.

Without ever having met you all I can tell it's a good community too, nice to have a decent community with no judgement or sense that people just ignore you if they feel you don't merit an answer. (Somewhere like Ferrarichat can be like that at times).

God knows what'll happen though when all the cars have full pages of history and information covered. It'll be amazing and sad in a way at the same time if something like new photos of the Brunei cars came about (or even, just for imaginations sake, they were sold back into the real world).
F1GTRUeno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F1GTRUeno For This Useful Post:
hurstg01 (06-05-2012), Peloton25 (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
PatrickT82
AF Enthusiast

We all share the same passion for the McLaren F1 and this is the best forum for it!

I gladly share my experiences and pics when I have seen an F1 I havent seen before!

But my quest for seeing every single F1 will last forever I'm afraid:-)

Hope to see 13R at the end of this month
PatrickT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PatrickT82 For This Useful Post:
hurstg01 (06-06-2012), Peloton25 (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

I hope you see #13R and #19R - have you seen that second one yet?

>8^)
ER
Old 06-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #8
bucciali
AF Regular

Well put, Greg. I do the same thing, mostly by just starting with an old page and diving into it.
Although I do try to monitor regularly, and actually think I keep track with all new posts and threads, I'm often reminded by new discussions that there is stuff that I missed originally .

The black LM's story is a great one. Info was 'available' for so long....but I think we can agree that the quest for info makes up for 1/2 of the fun ;-)

..and to reply on the thread title: oh, the afternoons that I wasted.....

Last edited by bucciali; 06-06-2012 at 08:56 AM.
bucciali is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bucciali For This Useful Post:
hurstg01 (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
Le Man
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

>8^)
ER
Yeah, I can remember spending alot of time trying to correct hearsay, only to be told that I was incorrect , until 100% evidence was produced. Like 15R was in Gulf livery in Paris, Mercedes used 11R not 7R, ETC ETC. It was getting to a point that I was about to give up on the forum, but it was only my passion for the F1 that I,m still here. Although I have not been posting rare content as much these days, it does not mean that I have run out, just time constraints have restricted me. Lots more to share in the future.

Finally, sometimes I have been incorrect , so don,t shoot the messenger.
Le Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Le Man For This Useful Post:
cabrio92 (06-14-2012), hurstg01 (06-06-2012), Peloton25 (06-06-2012), roger_ph (06-07-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Yeah - we really beat you up there in the beginning. Thank you for your perseverance Martin.

We have certainly learned a lot from you. It is always a pleasure to read your insights and view your 'evidence'.

>8^)
ER
Old 06-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
PatrickT82
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I hope you see #13R and #19R - have you seen that second one yet?

>8^)
ER
No I haven't seen 19R as well
PatrickT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
volvoman
AF Newbie

An afternoon to yourself how did you manage that lol
Old 06-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Time off for good behaviour!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
cabrio92
www.McLF1.com

Send a message via MSN to cabrio92

The forum is a great place for both reasons : very skilled posters and perople who ask right questions. That allow the forum to be alive.

In the same time, the forum is not a blabla forum and I appreciate that. Just a little blabla is cool but no more.

I would like to thank you once again because I created the registry to have all in one place with informations founded there. the registry is yours and I hope to make this fact more real in the future.

Phil

PS : We must appreciate these moments because we know a lot on the F1 but not all. imagine one day if we have not mysteries to solve...