Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 10:20 PM   #1
RSLaser
AF Regular

Crosleys?

My uncle has a Crosley Hot Shot, i think its a 1949 or 50, anyone have any additional infdo on them?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Crosleys?

The older Crosleys had an unusual OHC 4 cyl engine that was made using sheet metal stampings, which were brazed together with copper. They were called the COBRA engine (COpper BRAzed, get it?)

These engines were unreliable and were replaced with a cast iron 4 cyl engine. If you car has the cast engine, it has been retro-fitted. If the cobra engine is there, hang on to it, there are almost none left.
BTW that cast iron 4 cyl engine was used on fruit orchard spraying equipment for many years after Crosleys went out of production, so parts are likely still available.
Early Crosleys also had no universal joints in the driveshaft. The engine was designed to pivot as the rear suspension moved. This was also unreliable so U-joints were installed in later years.
Crosleys had about the first use of disc brakes in an American car.
They were raced with some success back intheir day. At the time, sports cars were small and open. Cars like the MG T series and Triumphs were small and slow, by our standards, so Crosleys did quite well.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
RSLaser
AF Regular

Hey thx for the all the info. Seems as though they arent very rare though? My uncle just went to a convention in OH and he can get patrts a whole lot cheaper than most classic cars.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:58 AM   #4
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

Re: Crosleys?

Crossleys are indeed rare - except for the station wagons (which might not be "rare" but I'd still certainly consider an "unusual" find), but since the mechanicals between (postwar) models are mostly interchangeable, parts for even rare models (the off road and sporting versions) are cheaper than one might expect. They're really very crude cars, but they're also fun cars. A whopping 10+ of these cars showed up for this year's Unique Little Car meet in Arizona, more than have showed up for that even before... of those I think three were sports models, two were off roaders (farm-o-roads) the rest were station wagons and sedans.

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
2strokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
RSLaser
AF Regular

The farm-o-roads are definately some of the cooler ones ive seen...just like a mini jeep. Also were trucks made? ive seen a few and was wondering if they are just custom jobs or they were production?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars