Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 01:28 PM   #1
creyna01
AF Newbie

Question Engine Ticking noise - Lifters? need help!

I have a 93 nissan Maxima. When it warms up (usually after like 10 minutes of driving), a ticking noise appears from under the hood. I had someone look at it and it could be the lifters. Valves and engine head where clean and fine, so it must be the lifters. Now my question is: is there a way to individually test each lifter to see which one if causing the problem? Or do all 24 of the lifters need to be replaced? I am trying to avoid replacing all of them because it will be too expensive. the mechanic suggested that all lifters need to be replaced. doesnt sound right though. Cant he just test each lifter individually to see which one fails?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Any Maxima experts out there?

Thanks
creyna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 04:12 AM   #2
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: Engine Ticking noise - Lifters? need help!

"warms up ... a ticking noise appears from under the hood. "

- heat related problem
- first time this appeared, how, mileage on the engine?
- when was your last oil change? Oil type?
- VG30E Oil Filter has to be Nissan Original -some say- Otherwise lifter & automatic valve advance problems arise. Dunno, but I use only Nissan plus synthetic oil and change both at 10.000miles
- Is there any other problem than this noise. Is the noise so annoying that something has to be done? Valve lifter is not most life threatening things, one can live with it for a time...

- listen yourself: take a long screwdriver, place it on different places while your ear is tight on the handle - works like a stetoscope and most mechanical noise locations can be pointed - you can do it. Then decide whats under the point you located...

- surely individual lifters can be replaced, but considering the work, changing all would be the best for long run. Your mechanic is right, but owner budget sometimes dictates otherwise... Still get an second opinion someplace else.

- dunno about this VG30E. But old Rambler 232 six valves were adjusted with the valve cover off and engine running and inserting the gauge between. When clearance is too big (=noisy) the noise will stop as gauge is inserted. This is how you might find the trouble points. And clearance in VG30E cannot be tested without oil pressure up , engine running as is the case with mechanically screw adjustable lifters...

On some others (like one 2L Audi) oil squirting is used to drop down from the cover to cool the engine - quite a pressure on the face! Come and see my garage ceiling... But that is not dangerous, one might figure out how to insert gauge on the running machine while not becoming as well oiled as Kofi Annan...

I had someone look at it and it could be the lifters. Valves and engine head where clean and fine, so it must be the lifters. Now my question is: is there a way to individually test each lifter to see which one if causing the problem? Or do all 24 of the lifters need to be replaced? I am trying to avoid replacing all of them because it will be too expensive. the mechanic suggested that all lifters need to be replaced. doesnt sound right though. Cant he just test each lifter individually to see which one fails?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Any Maxima experts out there?

Thanks[/quote]
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:23 AM   #3
mrnguyen
AF Newbie

Re: Engine Ticking noise - Lifters? need help!

man? i would not replace all, and if you did you can buy the heads, or lifters for cheap if you order them online from a japanese engine place. i have one to, it was in the woods for 5 years and it started up the first attemped to start, and it had a trans mission problem, i replace the trans mission, and i gave it to my sister and she still driveing it today that was 1 and half ago. but look up lifters on google, the motors are like 700 bucks! lol so i think if anything more than that replace the whole motor with one from japan.
mrnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35