Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 04:20 PM   #1
Rang73
AF Newbie

Exclamation flasher unit

Can anyone tell me where the flasher unit in a cutlass ciera 88 is and how to get to it? I have took apart the dashboard and can't see a flasher unit!! My user manual says it should be attached to the steering column, I can't see anything like the flasher unit I have to replace it, What does it look like?

Help please

Rang73
Rang73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 10:10 AM   #2
The Burning Rom
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to The Burning Rom Send a message via MSN to The Burning Rom Send a message via Yahoo to The Burning Rom
Flasher unit? Um.....what exactly are you trying to find? The switch that activates the directional signals?
1990 Metallic Blue & Silver Grand Prix LE Coupe
1979 Blue Dodge Ramcharger
The Burning Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 04:38 PM   #3
Rang73
AF Newbie

Thumbs up flasher unit

Thanks for the reply, yes its the unit for directional signals, my bulbs are new, hazard lights work but can't get signal lights to work.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:33 PM   #4
The Burning Rom
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to The Burning Rom Send a message via MSN to The Burning Rom Send a message via Yahoo to The Burning Rom
Re: flasher unit

Just to clarify one more time...it's the switch on the column that is malfunctioning..correct? If so, then you have to remove the steering wheel to get at it. You will need a steering wheel puller for this job.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:58 PM   #5
Rang73
AF Newbie

flasher unit

Hey thanks,

I already took the steering column apart and replaced the plastic 'thing' with wires coming out of it, everything else on the steering column works, someone told me somewhere in the dash there was a 'flasher unit' and I bought a part that is circular, about and inch in diameter and about and inch tall, it has a couple of pins at the base to plug it in somewhere, I can't see anything like it in my car and was wondering if there is a place for it, also from grounding the wires I got the signals to work but there was no 'clicking' as each light flashed, Do you think it is a in car computer problem?

thanks much
Old 10-01-2003, 10:06 PM   #6
The Burning Rom
AF Enthusiast

Re: flasher unit

I do not think it is a computer problem. The computer has no control over the flashers. I understand which part of the system you are talking about now though. The flasher "solenoid" can be located in one of two places. I know where it is on my Grand Prixs..but it may vary on the Cutlass'. They are the same platform, but their wiring was a little different for some reason.

It can either be clipped to the end of the steering column, or in an underdash fuse "array". Either way, you have to remove the kick panels on the driver's side. Those panels would be the ones located by the driver's feet. Once they're removed, you should be able to see it in one of the two places I mentioned....I hope Good Luck
Old 10-02-2003, 12:40 PM   #7
Rang73
AF Newbie

Talking Found The Flasher On '88 Olds Cutlass Ciera!!

FOUND IT!!!! The flasher is located above the black diagnostic connector, facing the rear of the car. I got in on my back and looked around...it was behind a bundle of wires resting inside a little black clamp above and behind the connector. When I tugged on the wires the flasher unit slid out. Hopefully this will be helpful to someone else if needed. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!