Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > JDM Motor & Parts info/chat
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
JDM Motor & Parts info/chat Discussions on Mugen, Spoon etc. Plus, info on motor swaps (b18 's, b16's h22's etc) and other JDM info!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MexSiR
H22 Swap Exchange B16 (Help)

Sup guys, Im thinking of driving my 1999 Civic Si up to San Antonio Texas this summer because my brother is working up there and Im planning to do some stuff to my car. This is what Im thinking of doing:

My car currently has a B16A2 with 60,000 miles. I want to exchange the engine for an H22 from an older year, say 95-97. I dont know how this could work, the prices are very similar for both engines, mine is a little more expensive, Ive seen mine go for aroun 2500-3000 dollars (B16) and I have seen the H22 from older years go for 2000-2500 dollars, that is, everything included except the mounts. Another important thing to add, emissions or engine years DO NOT matter in Mexico, I can have a 6 cylinder 1989 poluting engine in my car and nobody cares.

Here is the questions that I need you guys to answer.
1)What is the best way to do this? Contact a shop? Make them do the trade? Sell my engine separately and buy an H22?

2)Prices of mounts and installation? Approximate?

3)Ballpark times I could improve with 200 hp and 161 lbs tq instead of 160 and 111?

4) Other suggestions, commentaries?

Thanks for the help,
MexSiR
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Pictures of my ride (Pictures)
MexSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:42 AM   #2
97integrals
AF Regular

Re: H22 Swap Exchange B16 (Help)

I don't think you should swap in the h22; you should keep the b16 and boost it, just my opinion. The only reason I could see swapping an h22 into a civic is if you had a d series motor.
97integrals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:51 AM   #3
stopufool
AF Regular

yeah H series motors are a real tight fit and not my best choice for a civic, Get a port and polish, upgrade cams, valve springs and TI retainers. You will be haulin, and NA
stopufool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:35 AM   #4
h22meangreen
AF Regular

case you do decide i have an h22 for sale call 786-251-3293 if interested
h22meangreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

1) Yeah it'd probably be best to have a shop do it for you, but make sure they have experience with doing the swap (it's no B-series swap). I'm sure there will be some wiring that needs to be done (as well as the OBD issues), but I'm not familiar with the '96+ Civic swaps. But there's mounts, shiftlinkage, and probably some minor cutting to do with both, as well as axles.

2)Mounts depend on where you get them from. Hasport sells them for $600. For installation price I have no clue, I'd think somewhere up to $1,000 (probably a little high, but be prepared to spend more than you think).

3)Probably low 14's with the swap. Though I've seen a '96-'98 hatchback doing high 13's with just the swap and no bolt-ons.

4)I disagree with the first 2 responses of it not being a good swap for a Civic. Those who have never done it, seen or felt the power don't have a clue. But I do agree that it'd probably be better to just turbo your existing engine, instead of having to spend the $ on the swap when it can go right into your engine.
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:58 PM   #6
97integrals
AF Regular

Re: Re: H22 Swap Exchange B16 (Help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicSpoon
1) Yeah it'd probably be best to have a shop do it for you, but make sure they have experience with doing the swap (it's no B-series swap). I'm sure there will be some wiring that needs to be done (as well as the OBD issues), but I'm not familiar with the '96+ Civic swaps. But there's mounts, shiftlinkage, and probably some minor cutting to do with both, as well as axles.

2)Mounts depend on where you get them from. Hasport sells them for $600. For installation price I have no clue, I'd think somewhere up to $1,000 (probably a little high, but be prepared to spend more than you think).

3)Probably low 14's with the swap. Though I've seen a '96-'98 hatchback doing high 13's with just the swap and no bolt-ons.

4)I disagree with the first 2 responses of it not being a good swap for a Civic. Those who have never done it, seen or felt the power don't have a clue. But I do agree that it'd probably be better to just turbo your existing engine, instead of having to spend the $ on the swap when it can go right into your engine.
I never said the h22 swap is a bad swap, my friend has a h22 in his hatch and it is awesome!! His car however came with a d-series motor, so it was a good idea to do the h22 swap. This guy however already has a b16, so in my opinion he should not waste his time, money and b16 motor by swapping in an h22. I think it would be a much better idea to turbo the b16, I mean the engine only has 60,000 miles on it.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
stopufool
AF Regular

and yeah it is a bad idea, with his current motor setup, the cost of doing a swap and all the aggrevation that comes with swaps, it would be better to just build upon his current setup
Old 06-04-2005, 01:31 PM   #8
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

Yeah but also with the h22 swap, he'd start out with 40 more hp than with the stock 160hp engine. But you're right, if it was me I'd build up the b16a because it's more cost effective.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:39 PM   #9
stopufool
AF Regular

yeah there are alot better ways to get 40hp for 2000-2500 bucks, hell you can get a used supercharger on ebay for like as low as $800. But i know most people around here like turbos, that you can get cheap too if you shop around good. Just not as cheap as a supercharger
Old 06-04-2005, 02:41 PM   #10
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

There's no way you could find a full supercharger kit for $800. And you could piece together a turbo kit for a lot cheaper than buying a premade kit (of course with no IC or just a side mount). You could piece one together for just as much as buying a full supercharger kit, and have more potential from the turbo than the SC. I'm not knocking SC's but the turbo will always have more potential.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:01 PM   #11
stopufool
AF Regular

Oh yes you can get a full supercharger kit for as low as 800 on ebay, i have seen plenty of them, they are used but if you look hard and be patient you can get them that low. Usually they go for 900-1000 used.

And yes you definately have more potential from a turbo, but then you have to worry about blowing your motor when you try to have to much boost(potential). There are positives and negatives to it and the cost to make your motor able to handle a high boost isn't worth it to me.

To me a supercharger is a lot more fun because you have power through the whole powerband, which means no turbo lag, real good for street racing
Old 06-04-2005, 03:31 PM   #12
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

You can blow up your engine just as easily with a supercharger as with a turbo. 11psi on a JRSC will still be able to do just as much damage as as 11psi on a t3/t4. If you wanted to boost high with a SC, you'd still have to build the block anyways. What I'm saying is that if you already went through the trouble of building the engine up and getting a good ems, the turbo would still have more potential to make power. And for turbo lag, it depends on which turbo you use. If you use a small turbo, it will spool a lot quicker and you could even shift and still be in boost (not full boost, but no lag at all). And IMO, street racing is just plain stupid.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:49 PM   #13
stopufool
AF Regular

well the point is that you can get a supercharger for like 800, and that is a full kit, just look hard enough. You will never find a full turbo kit for that.

And street racing is fun, most stupid things are.... .
Old 06-04-2005, 03:52 PM   #14
97integrals
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopufool
Oh yes you can get a full supercharger kit for as low as 800 on ebay, i have seen plenty of them, they are used but if you look hard and be patient you can get them that low. Usually they go for 900-1000 used.

And yes you definately have more potential from a turbo, but then you have to worry about blowing your motor when you try to have to much boost(potential). There are positives and negatives to it and the cost to make your motor able to handle a high boost isn't worth it to me.

To me a supercharger is a lot more fun because you have power through the whole powerband, which means no turbo lag, real good for street racing
I am sick of this bullsh*t, superchargers are not more reliable than turbos! They just make less power; power potential and reliability are two different things. The only thing that affects the reliabilty is turning up the boost. As far as turbo lag it is becoming a thing of the past with the ball bearing center sections. If you don't want to blow your motor with a turbo don't turn up the boost, and you will still smoke every supercharger. There are tons of people running turbos on stock motor Hondas making 300+whp and doing it for years. Know what you talking about before you start giving out bad information!
Old 06-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #15
97integrals
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopufool
And street racing is fun, most stupid things are.... .
Spoken like a true idiot!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > JDM Motor & Parts info/chat