Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #31
jpb53
AF Enthusiast

Re: Repeat blower resistor failure

You can down load a factory service manual here.
http://pdftown.com/PDF-Dodge-Ram-200...ce-Manual.html
Next time you might be better off posting in the Ram Pickup/Ram SRT10 section of this forum.
jpb53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #32
usmailman956
AF Newbie

I had to replace the blower motor to get the resistor to last. Been almost 2yrs and no resistor failure after replacing it 3 times
usmailman956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #33
Taxilady88
AF Newbie

I am confused. My blower is not working. We have tested the relays and fuses. We know the blower works. The only thing else would be the resister. I have read that on a 2005 Grand Caravan that it is next to the blower in the glove box area. Now I read there is a resister module under the hood on the passenger side. I am confused. Also I have gone to the Dodge web site and looked for a schematic for my van, but do not see one in the manual. Where can I find one? Any help would be so greatly appreciated.
Taxilady88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #34
usmailman956
AF Newbie

If I am not mistaken up to 2000 the blower resistor was on passenger side under hood and in 2001 it switched to behind glovebox. Are you sure the blower motor is good? Also check the electrical connection on the blower esistor it could be melted. Mine blew the resistor 3 times replaced the motor and no more problems in 3 years it is an 01.
usmailman956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:25 AM   #35
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxilady88 View Post
I am confused. My blower is not working. We have tested the relays and fuses. We know the blower works. The only thing else would be the resister. I have read that on a 2005 Grand Caravan that it is next to the blower in the glove box area. Now I read there is a resister module under the hood on the passenger side. I am confused. Also I have gone to the Dodge web site and looked for a schematic for my van, but do not see one in the manual. Where can I find one? Any help would be so greatly appreciated.
You have a blower resistor block if you have the manual temp control system. It can be accessed either from under the hood or from inside behind the glove box. You have a blower control module if you have the automatic temperature control system. It is accessed from inside up behind the glove box.
Are you getting power off the switch to the resistor block (or module)? I've read several reports of the control panel connector melting creating problems. Might check on it.

...and you have a schematic from ARRC.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #36
srp204
AF Newbie

Ok I had the same problem except the fuse didn't open, the resistor would burn open and I would only have the blower on high. After 3 resistor packs and a -25 temp outside,I got an idea why not add a heatsink to the ceramic resistor. So I beetled down to an electronics store and bought 2 small heatsinks made for the square SCR regulators, they cost a buck apiece and I used a thermal paste and a 8" length of insulated transformer wire and have them on the green ceramic of the pack. The paste conducts the heat and does not run and I had some varnished transformer wire sitting around anyway. I did have to bend the fins out a bit to fit into the opening but it was no big problem.
I will replace the blower motor in the spring but until then this is a cheap and easy fix that should take about 15 minutes to do
srp204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #37
Taxilady88
AF Newbie

RIP I am thinking you sent me a link to a schematic for my 2005 Dodge Caravan, I know someone did. But I can not find the link and forgot to make more than one copy (blonde moment). One link that was sent was to a library and it asked for a library card which I did not have. Could you please send me a link one more time and I PROMISE I will make more than one copy. Thank you sooooo much. Really need it ASAP. Finally found someone to help me fix a problem I have but no schematic.
Taxilady88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #38
PDModel98
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to PDModel98 Send a message via Yahoo to PDModel98

I had this issue with me and it was a faulty part-
NAPA part I went through 2 that were bad in 2 weeks. I went to the OEM dealer and it now works fine for 2 months
PDModel98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #39
trishnal
AF Newbie

01 Grand Caravan. First my resistors were blowing so after replacing 3, I also replaced the blower motor and vacuumed out the filter. Since then, 2 blower motors have also failed. Today it is -20 C outside and I have no blower. Brrrr ...now what should I try?
trishnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #40
willtan
AF Newbie

On my 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan, I replaced the thermal fuse from Radio Shack as recommended and it worked like a charm. The part number is 270-1320 and costs $1.99 (price has gone up slightly). Here's a picture of the part.

I disassembled the resistor assembly and soldered the new part into place, attaching heatsink clips to the leads to prevent heat damage.

Thanks for everyone's help. (Wife is pleased too.)
willtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #41
Hanss
AF Newbie

You don't need to solder it, just use plyers and metal clips that are included with thermal fuse. Soldering is dangerous, it can damage your new thermal fuse.
Good luck.
Hanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #42
b1lk1
AF Regular

My van is about to need it's 3rd one in the last 12 months. The joys of owning a Chrysler product, lol.

EDIT 1/7/11

My van actually needs the pigtail replaced this time. Resistor is not the problem I am having.

Last edited by b1lk1; 01-07-2011 at 05:18 PM.
b1lk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #43
b1lk1
AF Regular

Bumping this back to the top. After replacing my pigtail roughly first week of February I am now experiencing yet ANOTHER resistor failure. I haven't checked yet to see if the pigtail is roasted AGAIN, but I am going to assume it is. I guess I need to replace the blower fan and see if I can get this system to last more than a few months without failure.

b1lk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #44
stryfe101
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stryfe101 Send a message via Yahoo to stryfe101

well this is an interesting read...i've replaced the resistor pack once and still had intermittent blower function...recently everything died...the blower slowed down, dash lights came on, the whole shebang....anyway i'm get infinite resistance on the motor itself, and still getting resistance values on the resistor pack. time to take the dash apart and fix the motor...hopefully this will take care of the problem...been without a/c in both cars all summer...

Gray
stryfe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #45
OKBob
AF Newbie

Can anyone help me locate and provide directions on replacing the Thermal Cutoff Fuse on my 2005 Grand Caravan with auto temp control?

Last edited by OKBob; 08-19-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: more detail
OKBob is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager