Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: What HIGHWAY gas mileage do you get in your Chevy 1500 series truck?
26 mpg or better Highway mileage 10 1.65%
24 mpg or more 6 0.99%
22 mpg or more 17 2.81%
20 mpg or more 74 12.21%
18 mpg or more 133 21.95%
16 mpg or more 159 26.24%
14 mpg or more 116 19.14%
12 mpg or more 62 10.23%
10 mpg or more 19 3.14%
Less than 10 mpg Highway mileage 10 1.65%
Voters: 606. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 10:36 PM   #211
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlenderWizard
I know I posted this graphic in another topic, but I feel like it actually belongs here. Here is a chart of my before and after MPG pertaining to installing a Nelson tune. You can see that my gains are not a fluke, but are quite consistant. Looks to be about a ~1.2 MPG increase with the tune. That doesn't sound like much, but your wallet will notice!

"When I step on the gas, I want people to think the world is coming to an end!" - Homer Simpson
2002 ECSB, Nelson Tune, LS1 electric fans, 145A alternator, K&N FIPK, 160º T-stat, TB coolant bypass, Corvette servo, 4 headlight mod, blue LED gauge cluster

Last edited by BlenderWizard; 09-02-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:16 PM   #212
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

I dunno, why am I only getting ~14 MPG, which is a +1.2 MPG gain after the tune? What am I doing wrong? My truck is a 5.3, FYI. I actually just sent these numbers to Allen, and, while happy with the increase in MPG (He told me to expect a 1-3 MPG increase with the tune, and I definitely got that) since he tuned it, he says we need to do more to help my MPG. I installed the 160º t-stat in mid July, and you can see it did nothing bad for my MPG (or good for that matter), of course that is not why I installed it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

"When I step on the gas, I want people to think the world is coming to an end!" - Homer Simpson
2002 ECSB, Nelson Tune, LS1 electric fans, 145A alternator, K&N FIPK, 160º T-stat, TB coolant bypass, Corvette servo, 4 headlight mod, blue LED gauge cluster
Old 09-03-2005, 12:38 PM   #213
White Lightening
AF Regular

Re: Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlenderWizard
I dunno, why am I only getting ~14 MPG, which is a +1.2 MPG gain after the tune? What am I doing wrong? My truck is a 5.3, FYI. I actually just sent these numbers to Allen, and, while happy with the increase in MPG (He told me to expect a 1-3 MPG increase with the tune, and I definitely got that) since he tuned it, he says we need to do more to help my MPG. I installed the 160º t-stat in mid July, and you can see it did nothing bad for my MPG (or good for that matter), of course that is not why I installed it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Greetings Blender,

As I recall - you have a 2wd right? If so - 14 mpg sounds "below expectations" to me. Even factory epa says it should be about 16 city and 19 highway if I am not mistaken. Then factor in you have a tune etc..

1. Do you do alot of idling or are you sitting in traffic jams a great deal?
2. Do you do all or almost all city driving? If so - you may have dirty injectors which need a quality fuel cleaner treatment (or two).

3. How many miles on your truck? Air cleaner filter?

4. Have you tested your mileage in an all highway trip of a few hundred miles? City driving has many variables - but highway driving at 55 or 60 mph (use cruise if possible) has considerably less variables. A 2wd 5.3 (depending on axle ratio) should expect 19 to 20 mpg at the above mentioned speed (that is how EPA tests are done) and if not heavy loaded or trailering anything. And you have a tune besides - the numbers I'm writing are for stock 2wd trucks with 5.3.

If your highway driving is getting 19 or 20 - then it would seem its your driving style or driving location that is the cause.

Just my amateur opinion.

White Lightening
Old 09-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #214
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

I do about 90% of my driving in the city, not much in traffic. The truck is a 2wd that I have had for about 6 months and I did about 3 or 4 treatments with Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner right off the bat when I got it at the end of March. It has almost 33,000 miles on it. I did a lot of driving on the highway in April, but that was right after I got it, and I don't have any records as far as fuel consumption. Is there a better injector cleaner I could use?

Old 09-03-2005, 03:21 PM   #215
White Lightening
AF Regular

I've had good results with either Slick 50 or Duralube fuel system cleaner.

By chance - you aren't using an E-85 type fuel or something like that?

I ask this because if you have good power - and if your tune is working right - I would think you would be doing a fair amount better on the MPG. So I'm trying to think of things that could drop your mpg yet still give you normal power. "Drag" things like brakes slightly dragging or bearings/wheels etc. slightly dragging or something that would be holding you back - I would think you would notice power decreaes - not increase.

I'm assuming you aren't a heavy foot. If you are - then your MPG is how it goes. I don't know that there are many advancements between your vehicle compared to mine. I have a bigger engine (6.0) with 2wd and the same ext. cab in my 2004. I'm not a heavy foot - and my in town is probably 16 to 17 and my highway at 60 is just about 22 (with Tonneau). But remember - I don't have a Nelson tune yet either.

White Lightening
Old 09-03-2005, 04:33 PM   #216
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

I think the lead foot is probably it; everyone tells me I should "lighten up" on the pedal. it's not my fault - it's the first v-8 I've had in 10 years. I'll see about the dura lube. I'm going to try another lucas treatment first (I bought a large bottle of it).

Old 09-03-2005, 07:20 PM   #217
HanibalTheCannibal
AF Enthusiast

Well I am just about to finish my third tank of gas in my 01 silverado LS 2wd ext cab (5.3). Here are the results thus far:

1st tank: 93 octane, 14.5 MPG Range: 338 Miles

2nd tank: 93 octane, 13.7 MPG :22yikes: Range 310

3rd tank: 87 Octane, Currently have 389 Miles on tank after adding 25 Oz. (almost 2 15 oz metal cans) of Berryman's B-12 cleaner. That makes my current MPG estimated at 16.5 MPG.

My fuel gauge reads about 1/8th tank (low fuel light came on quite early IMHO). I am going to drive the tank down lower, then fill up and use another treatment of the berrymans b12 cleaner. I may try the sea-foam cans (it costs more and is in a metal can). I will post my final MPG after I fill up again tomorrow.

This is a bone stock motor with no mods, 5.3L V8, and 3.73 rear end, stock size tires and wheels.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:54 PM   #218
chrisb490
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to chrisb490

In my 2000 silverado i use two bottles of chevron techron everytime i change the oil and i get about 17.5 - 19 mpg. I think a key factor could be the 10w-30 mobil1 oil.

real curious about putting 2004-2005 taillights on my 2000, anyone have any ideas???
Old 09-04-2005, 10:32 PM   #219
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb490
real curious about putting 2004-2005 taillights on my 2000, anyone have any ideas???
JEverett's done it. I think he said something about changing out the wire harness in the bed to the taillights to make it work just right.

Old 09-05-2005, 01:15 AM   #220
HanibalTheCannibal
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
In my 2000 silverado i use two bottles of chevron techron everytime i change the oil and i get about 17.5 - 19 mpg. I think a key factor could be the 10w-30 mobil1 oil.

Is that "synthetic" mobil1 you use? I havent changed my oil yet, but its coming soon.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:45 PM   #221
chrisb490
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlenderWizard
JEverett's done it. I think he said something about changing out the wire harness in the bed to the taillights to make it work just right.
do you or JEverett know where i can get that wire harness that i need because i just found the lenses.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #222
chrisb490
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanibalTheCannibal
Is that "synthetic" mobil1 you use? I havent changed my oil yet, but its coming soon.
yes that is the full synthetic mobil1 10w-30 its cheaper at wal-mart if you buy the gallon jug plus an extra quart
Old 09-05-2005, 01:00 PM   #223
Rollingbones
AF Regular

I use Mobil 1 5/30 and get mine at Costco for $24 for 6 quarts.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:09 PM   #224
chrisb490
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingbones
I use Mobil 1 5/30 and get mine at Costco for $24 for 6 quarts.
no costco local here

anyone tried the tornado thing that goes in the air intake tube? can buy at auto-zone
Old 09-05-2005, 02:09 PM   #225
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
no costco local here

anyone tried the tornado thing that goes in the air intake tube? can buy at auto-zone
Hey man, http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=451520

The Following User Says Thank You to BlenderWizard For This Useful Post:
BW2417 (04-14-2012)

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado