Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 03:02 PM   #61
busta
AF Regular

ok now we can get back to it! someone get me a vid of a chev eating a hemi even if it's a digi-cam from the passager's seat!
-class A mechanic
-heavy eqipment mechanic
-equipment operator
-mig,tig,arc welder
-lemon silverado owner
-pistonslap.com
busta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:03 PM   #62
njthe24fan
Banned

Send a message via AIM to njthe24fan Send a message via Yahoo to njthe24fan
Re: 5.7 Hemi V.s 5.3 Vortec

Say it don't spray it people. Simple as this 5.3 Chevy vs. 5.7 Hemi. Drivers Race. Chevy is better....
njthe24fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:43 PM   #63
frankendart
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to frankendart Send a message via Yahoo to frankendart
Re: Re: 5.7 Hemi V.s 5.3 Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by njthe24fan
Say it don't spray it people. Simple as this 5.3 Chevy vs. 5.7 Hemi. Drivers Race. Chevy is better....
Sorry dude, it's never that simple.

SUCK-SQUEEZE-BANG-BLOW!!!!
It's just how things work!

I own 4 Fords, 3 Chevies, 3 Saturns, 2 GMC's, and 2 Dodges... So tell me about your brand loyalty.
frankendart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:29 PM   #64
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowprocess

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta
ok now we can get back to it! someone get me a vid of a chev eating a hemi even if it's a digi-cam from the passager's seat!
Your wish is my command. I'll go hunt one down this weekend for ya!

Daily Driver- 00 Camaro SS A4 1/4- 12.30@118mph 2.14-60ft on street tires
Weekend Warrior-99 Silverado "Dirty" 1/4-11.63@118mph 1.8-60ft
Slowprocess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:33 PM   #65
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 5.7 Hemi V.s 5.3 Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankendart
You have confirmed my first point. "You select the vehicle that has the attributes you want. You selected the Chevy because it had the attributes you were looking for. In this case, those attributes were the aftermarket support for that particular vehicle.

Regarding the street racing thing, I have to admit, I thought you were talking about street racing. I've read so many lame-brain posts regarding street racing kills, I simply thought you were contributing. Sorry if I pegged you wrong on that one.

Finally, the vehicle insurance isn't as bad as you might think. The 5 trucks and 2 vans are insured as work vehicles, and carry 5 million dollar policies on them. Actually it only breaks down to about $150.00 a month per truck (about $13k a year) . The cars are insured seperately.
...and the Dart is covered by my home owners insurance when it's in the garage, my truck insurance when it's in tow, and Racers Insurance when it's on the track.
I'm glad I just have the one to pay for. It keeps me enough money in the pocket to keep on blowing it on the truck.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:56 PM   #66
busta
AF Regular

com on

you da man slowprocess! we know you can eat them for breakfast lunch and dinner! seen you vid VERY NICE! you have to get a pic of the driver's face....but anyone with a 5.3 willing to try? oh and jeverret way to eat a stang! keep up the good work! hungry trucks have to eat. ive done the corvette tranny thing now thinking S/C? for engine mod not sure where else to get the juice without major overhaul beside's cam? and ya i did the air box mod with a kand n filter, chopped the egr bla bla bla..
-class A mechanic
-heavy eqipment mechanic
-equipment operator
-mig,tig,arc welder
-lemon silverado owner
-pistonslap.com
busta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 08:08 PM   #67
02blackstallion
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to 02blackstallion

I haven't come across any dodges that wanted a race, and the way I see it, thats the only way Ill ever really find out if I can take him.
And by the way, its always funny when you take down a Mustang...
Granatelli MAF Sensor

Kills
5spd Mustang
5spd Civic
02blackstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 07:34 AM   #68
frankendart
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackstallion
I haven't come across any dodges that wanted a race, and the way I see it, thats the only way Ill ever really find out if I can take him.
And by the way, its always funny when you take down a Mustang...

All I can say is take it to the track, man. Those are the only "kills" that count anyway.

I own 4 Fords, 3 Chevies, 3 Saturns, 2 GMC's, and 2 Dodges... So tell me about your brand loyalty.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:24 PM   #69
jeverett
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to jeverett Send a message via AIM to jeverett Send a message via MSN to jeverett Send a message via Yahoo to jeverett

I finally took a HEMI Wednesday night! I was at Hooters, before a concert, and it started raining (like that's important). Well, the old boy that I ran in stock form started his shit again, so when we were leaving, we both happened to line up at a redlight. The road was slick and on takeoff I spun thorugh the intersection (damn thing wouldnt quit spinnin!!) I though he had me. Well, how wrong was I. Once the tires hooked up, he was through dealing. His mods are a FIPK, duals and TBS..the same thing I have EXCEPT the Nelson tune. Trust me, Hemi's arent all that.
"BIG 3"
2500+ watt audio

jeverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 01:42 PM   #70
frankendart
AF Enthusiast

Sorry, not doubting your word, but, when it comes to people talking about their rides, I've learned two things in life:
1. Street racing proves NOTHING. Too many variables.
2. Believe nothing you hear (read) and only half of what you see ( pics and vids can be modified, too).

BTW, that really is a good looking truck you got there, though.

Old 11-26-2004, 07:07 PM   #71
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankendart

Sorry, not doubting your word, but, when it comes to people talking about their rides, I've learned two things in life:
1. Street racing proves NOTHING. Too many variables.
2. Believe nothing you hear (read) and only half of what you see ( pics and vids can be modified, too).

BTW, that really is a good looking truck you got there, though.
My 12.67 vid was "modified". I really ran a 10, but I didn't want to make people too jealous. Just bustin your chops, man. I wish I did know how to "modify" video clips. I do good just to get them online. If I could, I would have the only 9 sec nbs truck running around anywhere.

Old 11-26-2004, 07:35 PM   #72
skipr
AF Enthusiast

What about a chevy 5.7 vortec vs a chevy 5.3 vortec? What has more power? what has more Torque?
skipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:57 AM   #73
frankendart
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowprocess
My 12.67 vid was "modified". I really ran a 10, but I didn't want to make people too jealous. Just bustin your chops, man. I wish I did know how to "modify" video clips. I do good just to get them online. If I could, I would have the only 9 sec nbs truck running around anywhere.
I know what you mean, I'm not good at it either. My son works for one of the local TV network affiliates, and you should see what thay can do!!!! The line between reality, and wishful thinking is easily crossed, and well hidden.

One of the things he did was to photoshop one of my trucks. When he showed me the finished product, my reply was "...Hmmm, nice truck. Who's is it? Turns out it was one of mine, but I didn't recognize it at all.

He can modify videos just as easily, and just as well. It's amazing, and a little frightening. It seems to me that any of todays news organizations could, if they wanted to, manufacture a news story, and back it up with photos or a video, and we would be hard pressed to refute it.

I know there are some really great looking trucks around, and some trully quick ones, too. I've simply learned that there are also a lot of lame posters who are good with a computer, and can actually give you a pic or a vid to back up their lie. Because of that, I take everything I see on the net with a grain of salt. That's why I don't buy any of the street kill stories. At least at a drag strip, you got a time slip to be to back you up. Although I supposed those can be faked, too. Most dragstrips keep a computerized record of every run, and have no reason to falsely modify them. I suppose if you were truly interested, you could track down the truth.

In any case, I enjoy reading about the street "kills", but I don't believe any of the posts, at all. I think they make for great imaginative fiction, and wishful thinking, but if we were to believe every killl story, I would have to believe that there are nitro burning pick-ups roving the streets of every city and town in two countries. Every Chevy driver would have the fastest truck on every Chevy board, and likewise for Ford owners on Ford boards, and Dodge's, too. I'm not saying everyone is lying, but I believe MOST of these stories are BS, and I don't think I'm good enough to sort them out. It's easier to just take them all as what they are; War Stories that become more and more embellished each time they're told.

Some of the story tellers are actually pretty good, too! We've all seen the the stories in which the tell sets up the seen and te characters, and then gives us a shift by shift play of the action, and then adds the finally. It makes for a good read, but probably has little to do with the facts.

Old 11-27-2004, 04:33 PM   #74
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipr
What about a chevy 5.7 vortec vs a chevy 5.3 vortec? What has more power? what has more Torque?
The 350 vortech or the LS1 346? I'm pretty sure both are 5.7L, one was a pre-LS1 and the 346 being the newer one. If you mean the old vortech, the 5.3L stock has more guts, period. More horsepower/torque overall better motor. The 5.7L LS1 is better than the 5.3L. Again, more horsepower/torque and lighter being that it is an aluminum block.

The old 350 vortech was the man of the day, but if you get out of a stock 5.3L into a stock 350 vortech, you can really tell how far technology has come.

Old 11-27-2004, 08:09 PM   #75
skipr
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowprocess
The 350 vortech or the LS1 346? I'm pretty sure both are 5.7L, one was a pre-LS1 and the 346 being the newer one. If you mean the old vortech, the 5.3L stock has more guts, period. More horsepower/torque overall better motor. The 5.7L LS1 is better than the 5.3L. Again, more horsepower/torque and lighter being that it is an aluminum block.

The old 350 vortech was the man of the day, but if you get out of a stock 5.3L into a stock 350 vortech, you can really tell how far technology has come.
This is where I get confused. Example my dad had a 1967 conv. stingray corrvette with a 327 350 hp engine I have a 1968 SS396 elcamino with same 350HP but my big block was way more torque than his, no comparison. His was faster, but that's another issue.So these HP ratings I really don't understand. His A 5.3 more powerful than a larger cubic inch 5.7. How does make up for the lack of displacement ? Heads?, cam?.....And I'm referring stock truck engines in 99 they switched to a 326 or 5.3.
skipr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado