Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #61
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

Re: Intermediate Shaft Steering Clunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer Spike
What recall is out for this now? I have a '04 K2500HD, and they replaced the shaft under waranty when the truck was about a year and a half old. They lubed it about a year and a half later. This time they wanted me to pay. I got them to give me service for a year in exchange. Now it is doing it again.
I have 64,000 miles, and I want to know if there is a recall now. Someone said that they will fix it under 60k, but seeing that it has been done twice before, I think that they should. I could do it too, but since it is their poor design, they ought to do it.
I am glad that I have found this forum. Now I know how widespread this problem is.
THEY ought to do many things, beginning with making better cars in general.

anyways, i don't really blame THEM, as there's the whole entire culture in the country of folks that are dead chevy/ford patriots no matter how shitty product they get. so the companies fell into fallacy of believing that no matter what they do and how little they care about their customers, "american revolution" will prevail.

as of recall, there is none. there's a participation in repairs. which, pretty much, means that if your truck is below 70K miles, chevy will throw in some cash to compensate for the cost of repairs. i had it calc-d and it is much cheaper to buy aftermarket ISS and replace DIY than to go for their participation. it's , as dealership wants some $200 for the part only, and it's like $76 off the internet. in addition, i had to listen to a long spiel from chevy guy about quality of their parts as comparing to the aftermarket ones. to which i, after patiently listening to his bull, politely replied - OEM part, 60K miles, broke; aftermarket part, 3 times cheaper - works fine. he got offended.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #62
yakk
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamacameo
FYI... Borgenson makes an excellent quality replacement shaft for this application if you want to use a better one. I bought one and am going to install it.
Go to their web site (www.borgenson.com) and look it up. Thanks...
I hate to tell you this, but I installed a Borgenson, and a year and a half later it started making the same noises.
yakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #63
ColoradoSilverado
AF Regular

Has anyone tried the $72 Intermediate steering shaft from NAPA ?

Bert
ColoradoSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #64
Engineer Spike
AF Newbie

Well I fixed it myself! It only took about 30 minutes. I took the two halves apart and put spray lithium grease in there. Now it is like new. I may try to coat the male section with a teflon or rubber coating next time.
I agree that we all settle for Detroit's crap. There is something weak about all 3 brands, GM, Ford, and Chrysler. It is just a matter of time before the Japs get into the medium duty truck lines. If they had a product comparable to the K2500, or F250 (which I had before my chevy), I would have purchased it.
Engineer Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #65
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer Spike
Well I fixed it myself! It only took about 30 minutes. I took the two halves apart and put spray lithium grease in there. Now it is like new. I may try to coat the male section with a teflon or rubber coating next time.
I agree that we all settle for Detroit's crap. There is something weak about all 3 brands, GM, Ford, and Chrysler. It is just a matter of time before the Japs get into the medium duty truck lines. If they had a product comparable to the K2500, or F250 (which I had before my chevy), I would have purchased it.
unfortunately, all you did was, again, to follow GM's suite. "exercising" the shaft with their magic lube is step #1 GM does at dealerships to "fix" the problem. same goes for binding driveshaft yoke. then customers come back as the clunck comes back, and they replace those parts.
so, you are destined to do that job twice. i like my friend's son approach. he just opened a repair shop and i know him ever since he was 10. i gave him timing belt job on my son's eclipse, as it's total pain in ass to do. his approach is simple: if you get "in there" - replace everything possible, so you don't have to do over as something else breaks. so he replaced belt, pump, and pullies plus main seal. now we are good for the next 60K miles.
like they say - you can pay me now, or you can pay me later.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #66
SuperBK
AF Newbie

A dealer just told me that its "around $250" to get the intermediate shaft replaced. He said Chevy would only do it for free under warranty, either the 3 year / 36k mile or an extended warranty.
Who can I contact about it farther up the food chain?
Brian
SuperBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #67
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBK
A dealer just told me that its "around $250" to get the intermediate shaft replaced. He said Chevy would only do it for free under warranty, either the 3 year / 36k mile or an extended warranty.
Who can I contact about it farther up the food chain?
Brian
1. tell your dealer to really look it up and find about GM participation program; write letter to chevy complaints center and when you talk to dealer, come with that letter in hand and tell the guy that you either have it resolved, or you send it in mail as you leave. ask for senior manager name.
2. brian, that part is some $80. they quoted you part and labor. it is 10 min DIY job. just do it, i'll guide you through.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #68
buttloadsoclass
AF Newbie

You can purchase the steering lock pin from the following site...

https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/HomePage.aspx

Search for 42640 under part name. $9.11 with shipping.
buttloadsoclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #69
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

not quite a silverado shaft, but looks very similar if you want to mess with repair:
http://www.colinkraft.com/shaft.php

or you can do this:
INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT is connected to the Lower Steering Shaft through a spline. The "CLUNK" is a loose spline rattling. A quick fix is a new Intermediate Shaft but most likely (in time) the clunk will return. At that point I recommend that you purchase a kit for about $15.00 to relube the spline. The most important part of the kit is a special plug! Included also in the kit is a syringe of lubricant. My advise is to replace the grease in the syringe with a good quality wheel bearing grease. This will make the "relubing" last years longer. Instructions in the kit are quite easy to follow. (which sounds exactly like the items in link above)
Old 09-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #70
waitingforcolumbus
AF Newbie

There are two shafts. The original was junk and they used grease to "fix" it. My post a year ago suggested using the new design shaft.
Good luck.
===
Part ID: 19153614 SPECIAL PRICING!

Manufacturer
General Motors

Description
New design intermediate steering shaft 1999-2007 Full Size Truck. This will eleminate the clunk noise in your steering wheel. This is a permanent fix with a teflon bushing inside that does not require any more grease.

Old Part Number(s)
N/A List Price: $89.15
Savings: $34.65
Our Price: $54.50
Core Charge: $0.00
Your Cost: $54.50
Quantity:
https://www.partszoneonline.com/search.php
waitingforcolumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #71
XAutoXer
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz
1. tell your dealer to really look it up and find about GM participation program; write letter to chevy complaints center and when you talk to dealer, come with that letter in hand and tell the guy that you either have it resolved, or you send it in mail as you leave. ask for senior manager name.
2. brian, that part is some $80. they quoted you part and labor. it is 10 min DIY job. just do it, i'll guide you through.
Hey ukrkoz:
I sure would like it if you could guide me through the replacement of this shaft. I have read about doing this and having to do that, even tying off your steering wheel etc. You make it sound like a snap. If you could lay it out for me in somewhat laymens terms, that would be great.
Thanks
Kyle
XAutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:09 AM   #72
waitingforcolumbus
AF Newbie

Kyle, take a look at this link and see if it helps. I've never done this job so I can't verify if it's correct.
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=73044
<http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73044>
waitingforcolumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #73
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAutoXer
Hey ukrkoz:
I sure would like it if you could guide me through the replacement of this shaft. I have read about doing this and having to do that, even tying off your steering wheel etc. You make it sound like a snap. If you could lay it out for me in somewhat laymens terms, that would be great.
Thanks
Kyle
Kyle, it is very easy. get on your back underneath the steering wheel and look up. you'll see pinch bolt where it connects ISS to the steering wheel shaft. remove it.
go under the hood, remove upper pich bolt on the steering shaft. i say upper, as ISS connects to another shaft that connects to steering geer. so, that bolt is on the top of that other shaft.
now, slide shaft off the shaft that is connected to the steering geer and slide it off the steering wheel shaft.
i pulled mine in through the rubber boot in the firewall. some folks pull it out into the engine bay.
installation is reverse to removal. buy yourself ISS from NAPA, it does look much more substantial. mine was replaced around march with OEM look alike, and clunck already starts coming back. it's pos design.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #74
04 GMC 2500HD
AF Newbie

I replaced mine back in July. I got mine from the dealer ( P# 19153614 ). Cost me $ 78.76. It was easy to change. I think the hardest part was getting a wrench up there inside the cab. I'd use a ratchet wrench under the dash. This site turned me onto the problem and told me how to fix it. Thanks guys

Rich
04 GMC 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #75
Gbuzz71
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 GMC 2500HD
I replaced mine back in July. I got mine from the dealer ( P# 19153614 ). Cost me $ 78.76. It was easy to change. I think the hardest part was getting a wrench up there inside the cab. I'd use a ratchet wrench under the dash. This site turned me onto the problem and told me how to fix it. Thanks guys

Rich
I just got done putting in an ISS from Borgenson. I had some trouble pulling the old one out from the cab. I had to remove some duct work to wiggle it out of there. I'm no mechanic by any means put the job was fairly simple. And no more knocking....for now.

2003 Silverado Z71 LT
Gbuzz71 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado