Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 09:14 AM   #1
RamiroMtz
AF Newbie

Differential problems on 00' Silverado

Hello everyone. I'm having problems with my rear axle on my 00' silverado. A few days ago I made a right turn and heard a loud "CLUNK" that came from my axle. I thought I had hit a big hole in the street or something....but then it done it again when I made another right. Seem like it makes the noise mostly when I'm turning.

I wanted to troubleshoot a bit before I take it apart or send the axle to get fixed, so yesterday we jacked up the truck and put it on stands and played around with it a bit. There is no noise when both wheels are up and runs with no problem or noise. The problem comes when you put in on one wheel. When you put the passenger side wheel down...the left when turns with the constant noise....but then when you put it down on the drivers side...they both turn instead of just the wheel off the ground(almost fell of the stands). This is not normal right? Both shouldn't turn if one is off the ground? Never really had problems with my differential in any of my trucks...so I'm pretty new at this. Just want to when were to start. Should I go ahead a remove the rear cover and visually inspect it first?

Also, where can I check for my gear ratio? I'm not sure where to look at. I don't have the window sticker from when I bought it anymore.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Ramiro

00' Silverado Ex. cab
2WD
5.3L V8
65,000 Miles
http://members.sounddomain.com/ramiro
RamiroMtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 02:22 AM   #2
Procharged LM7
AF Newbie

If you have the G80(locker), it will clunk when it engages pretty loudly. If one wheel is off the ground the free wheel should spin approx once and then clunk the other kicks in. If one just spins in the air, it's broke.
BTW that jackstand trick is no good with a locker Sam
Old 09-27-2003, 10:10 PM   #3
1Buckeye
AF Newbie

I have just bought an 02 ext. cab z71 and am having a similar clunking noise on hard acceleration from a dead stop. I have sanded and lubed the driveshaft yoke twice, lubed the spring pads and tightened all bolts, i also checked the rear diff. for excessive play but found none.it sounds like the noise is coming from the rear diff. housing. I have the locking diff.w/410 gears. Is this a common problem with this truck and how can i fix it. I thought of maybe changing the rear locker to an Auburn unit or something better than stock if this would fix it.Any info would be appriciated.
1Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 03:14 PM   #4
nineball481
AF Enthusiast

Re: Differential problems on 00' Silverado

Ramiro- Well I cant tell you much about the clunk noise, but Your gear ratio, I can. With the truck on stands and in neutral, take a white marker and mark your tire and drive shaft. Turn your wheel one complete rotation and count how many times the drive shaft turns. That will get you close enough to match with one of chevy's spec rear ends.

eg. Buckeye has 410 gears (4.10 to 1). so when Buckeye turns his rear wheel one complete turn his drive shaft turns 4.1 times. Hope that helps.
  • Hypertech PP III
  • 20" Helo Renegades wrapped w/ Toyo Proxes S/T
  • Escalade instrument cluster
  • TYC tail lights and corner lights
  • Wet Okole seat covers

Some people see things as they are and say "Why?". I dream of things that never were and say "Why not.""
-George Bernard Shaw

"Mind over matter: If she doesn't mind, It doesn't matter"
-Nineball
nineball481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:47 PM   #5
skipr
AF Enthusiast

If I where you I would open up your rear cover plate immediatly. I was having a right turn clunk that I ignored , it wasn't but a month later and I completly destroyed the carrier, ring gear, pinion gear and all parts inside the carrier housing. I have a G80 and only 70,000 on my 1998 Z71. The carrier snapped in half and the ring gear destroyed every thing else. It happened after a right turn.
skipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 03:44 AM   #6
HatchetrydaZ71
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to HatchetrydaZ71 Send a message via Yahoo to HatchetrydaZ71

this just happened to my 99 stepside, over the train tracks on a right turn in a little 'competition' and SLAM.. completely shredded it.. the magnet on the cover was completely hidden by metal fragments and shavings.. it took my driveshaft a whole turn to even start rolling the wheels
HatchetrydaZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:23 PM   #7
kenny-1907
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to kenny-1907

I agree with skipr, pull the cover off right now . It sounds like you have a spider gear that is gone or going and it WILL destroy your diff if you leave it any longer.
kenny-1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:44 AM   #8
busta
AF Regular

hey

oh boy i had my entire rear end changed at 60k , to find your gear ratio go into your glovebox they have a sticker with a shit load of 3-digit code's this is what you want any G-CODES is rear end as follows
-G80=locking rear differential
-GU2=2.73
-GU4=3.08
-GU6=3.42
-GT4=3.73
-GQ1=3.73
-GT5=4.10
so if you dont see G80 it's not a locker if you have G80 it is .
and yes pull the cover and inspect.
busta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:54 PM   #9
skipr
AF Enthusiast

Re: hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta
oh boy i had my entire rear end changed at 60k , to find your gear ratio go into your glovebox they have a sticker with a shit load of 3-digit code's this is what you want any G-CODES is rear end as follows
-G80=locking rear differential
-GU2=2.73
-GU4=3.08
-GU6=3.42
-GT4=3.73
-GQ1=3.73
-GT5=4.10
so if you dont see G80 it's not a locker if you have G80 it is .
and yes pull the cover and inspect.
When you opened your back cover did it look like someone threw a gernade in there? Mine sure did, A million little peices of metal the only thing I could identify was the ring gear.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:10 PM   #10
busta
AF Regular

?????

not sure i had warrenty till 80k and this happened at 60k so i just brought it to them and said i had a bad in the rear!!! the part's list they changed was retarted i also have the locker g80 with 3.73's they also changed the axle shaft's and one rotor???? why would anyone change just one rotor? they got an ear full for that but i paid for the other one even though i was okay i wanted 2 new for even wear also had clips missing from the u-joint so check that and see if that was the problem iam reading the work order now forgot about that i think that's what did mine in? result was side and pinion gears worn causing clunking while going over bumps, kind of like the sound of towing an empty trailer. good luck and p.s get a locker better in rain and snow!
busta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 08:19 PM   #11
Bunboys
AF Newbie

Re: ?????

I have a 2000 with 80k on it and i just replaced the stock limited slip unit with an Eaton due to the fact that the stock units spider gears shattered on the freeway with the ever so famous loud clunk. plus I had to replace both rotors on the rear due to the great design of the parking brake shoe/drum being on the inside of the rear rotors and has constant pressure and wears itself out even if you dont use it.
Bunboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:51 AM   #12
hayesbcajh
AF Regular

You replaced just the diff? What did it cost you? I fear I'm headed down the same road.
hayesbcajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:41 PM   #13
skipr
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesbcajh
You replaced just the diff? What did it cost you? I fear I'm headed down the same road.

An Eaton is more expensive than a stock Gov-Loc limited slip. But i'm sure the part can be purchased for under $500. Just reuse your old ring gear (unless it's hammered). I got my stock replacement for $225 (brand new) thats without the carrier bearings.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:14 AM   #14
Bunboys
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Differential problems on 00' Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipr
An Eaton is more expensive than a stock Gov-Loc limited slip. But i'm sure the part can be purchased for under $500. Just reuse your old ring gear (unless it's hammered). I got my stock replacement for $225 (brand new) thats without the carrier bearings.
The Eaton is a little more expensive at 275.00 but well worth the few dollars more. After all, just take a look at the forums and see how many stock units are being replaced. Plus when you spin on the stockers take a look at the rubber on the road, it will almost always be one tire mark instead of the two that the Eaton leaves everytime!
Bunboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:39 AM   #15
hayesbcajh
AF Regular

So, how hard is it to replace just the diff and not the whole rear end? Most people say just replace the whole thing. The haynes manual says don't even bother touching it.
hayesbcajh is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado