Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
Nobby
AF Newbie

High RPM after start

When it happens, I stop and restart and all seems fine. I've scanned for codes and nothing shows.

When it does the RPM rises to 1500-2100 cause shifting to be hard.

I'm leaning to replace the throttle position sensor but since no codes, I'm a bit confused. Could it be cleaned?

Any suggestions?
Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
procaddytech
AF Regular

Re: High RPM after start

Check to see if a cruise control or throttle cable sticking holding the throttle blade open or is the throttle resting on the stop screw If the throttle blade is fully closed your IAC valve may sticking in its bore or just going bad. If you have never cleaned the throttle body and IAC valve and bore you should do it anyway. A vacuum leak should do it all the time but they should be checked for also. If you have secondary air injection the idle is high when first started but only to 1,100 - 1,300 rpm.
procaddytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
ND4SP
AF Regular

Cool Re: High RPM after start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
When it happens, I stop and restart and all seems fine. I've scanned for codes and nothing shows.

When it does the RPM rises to 1500-2100 cause shifting to be hard.

I'm leaning to replace the throttle position sensor but since no codes, I'm a bit confused. Could it be cleaned?

Any suggestions?
I had the same thing happen to my 1999 3.5L. It went on for a long time, finally replace the throttle position sensor, problem solved.
2005 Buick Le Sabre: Cooper CS4s, Fram Air Hog and Silverstar Ultras Low beams and highbeams. LED tails and marker lights , brake/turn signals (front turns too) coming soon, just need to install resistors in circuit.

(Sold ) 1999 Intrigue: Fram Air Hog, Bridgestone Potenza G009(Love em, just a little road noise)Upgraded to G019 grids they were even better. Silverstar Low beams and highbeams. Led brake lights, all marker lights and third brake light.
ND4SP is offline   Reply With Quote