Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
ricnor
AF Newbie

Rear axle bearing replacement

Hi, I have a european RHD 1999 Chevy Blazer with push button 4x4 and a 4.3l Vortec engine.
I was doing some checking over for our MOT test and with the rear of the vehicle jacked up and the wheels free of the ground I noticed that the off side rear wheel can be pushed in and out a small amount so assume that the wheel bearing is in need of replacement, never having had the axle apart I would like to know how easy it is to replace the bearing and seal. Is it a case of removal of the brake disk/drum and there is a set of bolts to undo and remove the drive shaft, remove the bearing and carrier, replace in reverse order or is there C clips in the diff to remove etc.
Sorry if this is obvious to you but I don't have a service manual.
ricnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
norteno
AF Newbie

Re: Rear axle bearing replacement

I just replaced the axles, bearings and seals on my 97 blazer and it still has some in and out play. I found out it is normal due to how the axles are held in by the c-clips in the differential. when I had the wheels off the the ground, there was major left and right play when I grabbed the wheels. Thats how I knew to replace mine. The difference is if yours is the G-80 limited slip differential (it should be on the sticker in glove box). There is very little room to get C-clips in and out but is possible. I also found several good write ups and pictures and videos about this job by looking up Chevy bearings replacement, GMC bearing replacement Etc. There are also other threads on blazerforums.com. Mine turned out good. I was also able to replace ball joints, wheel bearings, blower motor resistor, u-joint and other things with help from them. there is a lot of good help out there!!
norteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
ricnor
AF Newbie

Thank you for the information, I certainly will have a look at the blazer forum you suggest.
From what you have said I think I will leave it alone but check a little more often to see if there is any side to side or up and down movement in the future. I will take it for it's mot (an annual test over here for cars) and see if they pick up on it or not.
Angain thank you for your time, much appreciated.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
norteno
AF Newbie

also look for grease leaking from seal and getting on brake drum and inside wheel rim. sometimes when bearings go out, the seal does too and will begin to leak. How did you MOT go?
norteno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norteno For This Useful Post:
ricnor (01-04-2012)
Old 11-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

As Norteno stated, slight in and out play is normal due to how the axles are retained. Typically rear axle bearings will be noisy, not usually causing excessive play.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
ricnor
AF Newbie

Car passed it's mot with no mention of the wheel bearing so all good, I have since done about 1000 miles since first noticing the movement and still no noise from the bearing and the in and out movement is no worse. I think I will just run it till either the movement becomes side to side or I get an obvious noise.