Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Sonata
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
joegem
AF Newbie

Angry 06 LX noisy tires suspension

Just purchased 06 Sonata LX. The 17" tires thump when going over road expansion joints. Also, the rear suspension rattles and is noisy. Dealer says this is nomal road noise. Didn't hear this when I test drove exact model. Most posts say ride is quiet. Is anyone else experiencing these noises?
joegem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
bobad
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to bobad
Re: 06 LX noisy tires suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegem
Just purchased 06 Sonata LX. The 17" tires thump when going over road expansion joints. Also, the rear suspension rattles and is noisy. Dealer says this is nomal road noise. Didn't hear this when I test drove exact model. Most posts say ride is quiet. Is anyone else experiencing these noises?
Sometimes when driving over rough streets, I hear an occasional thump. It sounds like a muffler or exhaust pipe hitting the floor of the car. I am not saying that's what the problem is, just that it's what it sounds like.
bobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
Banjoman10
AF Regular

This is no way for the dealer to treat a new car buyer. This is how car reputations are made or lost. It's amazing, that some manufacturers don't grasp this, that word of mouth reputations are more powerful than TV ads every 15 minutes. And those very people collect those fabulous compensation packages. It's just simply amazing...

What I would do, is to demand a test drive over the same route with your (first), and the dealer's demo vehicle after. Take a voice recorder on the first trip, and mention the location/landmark at every noise making event with the type of noise. Note the speed also. With the dealer's vehicle redo the trip. Try to hit the noise making events at the same or higher speed. Of course, the dealer's rep has to be with you at both trips, and make sure you tell him (or her) to shut-up during the test(s), otherwise they'll try to talk their way tru, and will try to distract you.

Many years ago, I had a similar issue w/ a spanking brand new Camaro. Banging noises over bumps, going home from the dealer - the car was factory ordered, not off the lot. At home I crawled under. You'd never guess what it was: one of the steel straps holding the gas tank, one end (the closer to the back of the car end) was not bolted to the bottom of the car. The strap was hanging down, but not far enough to touch the road. However, the gastank being loose, was banging against the bottom of the car at every major bump. Thank god, the tank was only about 1/4 or less full, with a full tank, it could have possibly fallen off altogether, brand new car, going up in flames. Dealer attached/bolted the strap to its place next day with profuse apologies. (Drove very-very carefully back). Remember: it came from the FACTORY like that.
Good luck.
Banjoman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:26 PM   #4
MarkNYC
AF Newbie

I just bought an LX with 17" tires. Yes, the suspension is a little stiff and road noise is transferred throughout the car. But it is not anything different from my previous GM cars with "sport" suspension and big tires. I prefer to feel the road so it doesnt really bother me. I would classify it as normal for any car with a sport suspension.
MarkNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
Bigvick22
AF Newbie

The suspension is noisy on even slight bumps and there's a rattle from the front of the car (I suspect it is the windshield or the rear view mirror). I drove my cousin's which has the exact same problem.

Otherwise, I love the car. I got a great deal but the customer service sucks. You get what you pay for and it has to balance out somewhere.
Bigvick22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
DamienZ28
AF Regular

I have a thumping sound that comes from the rear of mine as well. It almost sounds like loose shock mounts or something close. Anyone else have this problem and was turned away from a dealer? Should I bother with my dealer? my salesman is fantastic but the service dept. stinks!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
LesGrandsPieds
AF Newbie

The service guy I took mine to doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about, so it's a good thing he's not actually doing the work.

I don't think the people you talk to in the service pit ever really know what's going on, they're just the messengers from the mechanics.
LesGrandsPieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #8
hdwnkr53
AF Newbie

Check the air pressure in your tires .Sounds like they're over inflated
hdwnkr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:35 AM   #9
Bear
AF Enthusiast

There is a TSB for the 2007s(06-01-011) that addresses the K-Thunk in the rear suspension and it requires replacement of the rear shocks. I believe some 06 owners have convinced the dealerships top repair their 06 as well.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Sonata