Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 09:41 PM   #1
jdevarie
AF Newbie

Talking Hello and one question

Hello, my name is Jimmy and I am glad to have found this forum. There are tons of useful information here.

Now for my question, I just purchased a '03 alero with the 2.2 engine. My question is, how do I tell which model it is? It has a spoiler, alloy rims and cd only radio with XM and no leather or sunroof. Any info is appreciated.

regards,
Jim
jdevarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 11:30 PM   #2
PotIsYourFriend
AF Regular

Re: Hello and one question

--------how do I tell which model it is---------

your kidding right, you bought a car and you dont know what model it is.. Man who was the sales man... Did he screw you on the price too...
PotIsYourFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 06:44 AM   #3
oldmike
AF Newbie

Jimmy,
Call any Olds dealer and ask for parts. Give them your VIN and they can tell you what model it is and a lot of other info just from the VIN.
Mike
oldmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
DamienZ28
AF Regular

Thanks for giving a decent asnswer oldmike! I know my model at least I think I do... GLS But I might call them or get a vin book anyways now lol
Old 06-03-2004, 05:13 PM   #5
JTrujillo86
AF Enthusiast

Jimmy,
Since you have the 2.2 Ectoec, spoiler, and alloys, you have a GL1. The GX doesn't come with a spoiler or alloys and the GL2 has a standard V6 plus a few extra little touches. The GLS is standard with leather and that sunroof. The GL1 can come with the V6 only as a $1000 add-on option. That's the setup I have but I purcahsed my vehicle pre-owned.
Hope this helped,
Jeremy
JTrujillo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 07:46 PM   #6
jdevarie
AF Newbie

Well, Jeremy, Mike and Damien, thanks for the responses they are very helpful. I went to the dealer looking for a good looking used 4 cylinder car and got this one in red. It is nice looking and beats my F250SD V-10 Lariat truck in fuel consumption. At fuel prices here in Boston that is a plus. I did not know much about the Alero before seeing this one (hence my question), I knew about the Aurora but not the Alero. It seemed well equipped for it to be my daily driver. Are there any known issues I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.

As for our friend the "pot is your friend" dude, I believe you are doing too much of that stuff and have fried your brain. Chill out and think before responding to posts since you never know who is on the other side.
Peace, Jim.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:22 AM   #7
JTrujillo86
AF Enthusiast

You have a great car there. Those Ecotec engines are truly bullet proof. The only other things you *may* have to worry about are the fan resistor for the HVAC control and maybe a fuel level sensor. Everything else is pretty good. I've had some PITA issues with mine, but they all seem to be isolated only to mine. I've replaced one rear exterior door handle, new battery, power steering pump and the pad on the interior front passenger side door is starting to come unglued. All of these issues have been fixed by the dealer and if the dash pad gets any worse, that will see the dealer too. She's got about 34K miles on it, but I'm one of those PITA customers that finds any and everything to be fixed under warranty. I just want everything to be perfect before I hit the end of the line with the 3yr/36K warranty. Good luck with your new car and congrats

Jeremy
Old 06-04-2004, 05:25 AM   #8
jdevarie
AF Newbie

Wink Re: Re: Hello and one question

Thank you very much Jeremy. So far I do not have any complaints but I have only driven it about 300 miles so there is not much to say yet. The engine seems strong and so far efficient on the fuel. Even tough it is used, it still smells like new inside and everything is in its place. I agree with taking care of everything before the warranty goes away, I did take an extended one on this car just in case. Now, what is the deal with that "pop-in" ashtray? It seems too bulky to be useful. Wherever it is it is in the way.
Anyway, thanks againg for the information and good luck.

regards,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTrujillo86
You have a great car there. Those Ecotec engines are truly bullet proof. The only other things you *may* have to worry about are the fan resistor for the HVAC control and maybe a fuel level sensor. Everything else is pretty good. I've had some PITA issues with mine, but they all seem to be isolated only to mine. I've replaced one rear exterior door handle, new battery, power steering pump and the pad on the interior front passenger side door is starting to come unglued. All of these issues have been fixed by the dealer and if the dash pad gets any worse, that will see the dealer too. She's got about 34K miles on it, but I'm one of those PITA customers that finds any and everything to be fixed under warranty. I just want everything to be perfect before I hit the end of the line with the 3yr/36K warranty. Good luck with your new car and congrats

Jeremy
Old 06-07-2004, 12:07 PM   #9
DamienZ28
AF Regular

Thats there way of saying stop smoking! Lol It really is useless. Congrats on your car you'll love it! Mine has the 3.4 so besides the intake gaskets normall items including pads and rotors oh and a caliper well ok 2 calipers but it was not the cars fault. Other than that the side molding needs some trim glue but its a solid car. I also replaced 2 wheel bearings but mine is a '99. Was the intake gaskets and wheel bearings sorted out by '03 Jeremy?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:10 AM   #10
JTrujillo86
AF Enthusiast

Any vehicle produced past April 02 will not experience the gasket issue (says GM anyway) and as for the wheel bearings, mine is an 02 and I'm currently waiting for this part to come in so it can be replace. I don't think they've mastered that one yet...

As for that pop in ash tray, I love it! I don't smoke but I use it as a coin holder, and when I go to wash the car I can easily take it out and have all of my change right there.

Jeremy
Old 06-16-2004, 09:35 AM   #11
DamienZ28
AF Regular

Thanks for the answer Jeremy! Yeah it does make a decent coin holder though!

Damien

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero