Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General Discussion All general comments or enquiries go here. Website, club oriented, or general Skyline banter.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 12:38 AM   #16
scourge2u
AF Regular

I'm taking a big risk here, but I will say that no one here is so stupid as to think they will ever be that cheap. Morris implied to me though that R32s could be had in the $25,000USD range out the door. Thats quite reasonable - especially considering what you get and what else is out there in the $25,000USD range (new and used) that would compete with a GTR.

I have no idea how a R33 or R34 would be priced though. Cheaper than MotoRex seems to only answer though.
scourge2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:55 PM   #17
Last Time
AF Newbie

Skylines in Oregon

If you don't already know there are quite a few Skylines in Oregon which are not all through Motorex. I don't claim to know all the details on this subject but as far as I know after reading numerous posts on the web and bolstered by the fact that guy I know has an R33 that he brought in and registered in Oregon without any Motorex "assistance" tells me you can piggyback on Motorex's federal groundwork and I guess Oregon already considers them a known certifiable vehicle.

Maybe this won't last forever, who knows perhaps it's a loophole, the kind of loophole that lawyers, corporations and the wealthy use all the time. I know this, he lives in the San Francisco area, but the car is registered in Oregon. I've been in the car, seen it when he brought it to the shop (with no plates, via flatbed from the port) and a couple month's later he's driving it on the street. It did have a missing mismatched wheel (which mysteriously showed up in a later shipment) and a few minor issues (which may have been resolved in later shipments?) so I'm thinking he imported it as a parts car and somehow registered it in Oregon.

I am sure I will not be able to get all the details of what loopholes were used and I'm sure some "experts" are going to say all kinds of stuff about MotoRex is the only one, you can't do that, you're lying, blah blah blah, say what you will. I do know that I see him drive it, I have been in it and it's here. He imports clips so I think he knows of some loopholes or what things need to be amiss to allow it to pass as a "Parts car". Oh yeah and the Grey Silvia he had (but sold to someone) was nice, I'm no Nissan expert but it's one of those newer ones. Anyway I know he imported that as a parts car because it had some minor front end damage, wrinkled fender, cracked bumper cover, etc. Nothing that couldn't be fixed easily. Maybe I'll pay him to help me do the same.....
Last Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:16 PM   #18
GTR_in_SF
AF Regular

Just because someone is driving a car on the street does not make the car STREET LEGAL.

Does the car have a legal VIN number? Is it registered as a skyline or is is registered as something else?

As far as I know, you can not import a car as a parts car and then register it as a street legal vehicle. If the car is not legally registered and he gets caught, the car will be most likely be confiscated and probably crushed.
GTR_in_SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:45 PM   #19
Last Time
AF Newbie

Re: licensing and unlicensed skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR_in_SF
Just because someone is driving a car on the street does not make the car STREET LEGAL.

Does the car have a legal VIN number? Is it registered as a skyline or is is registered as something else?

As far as I know, you can not import a car as a parts car and then register it as a street legal vehicle. If the car is not legally registered and he gets caught, the car will be most likely be confiscated and probably crushed.

That's true but then again many people (including yourself) on this board (or any other) partake in illegal activities, including illegal mods, so "don't throw rocks in glass houses". Like I said I DON'T KNOW ALL THE DETAILS, I am not promoting this as something anyone here should do, if you don't have the know-how, connections, knowledge or MONEY.

As far as I know there was no modification or VIN number laundering. Like I said, perhaps there are some legal loopholes he is using and is likely straddling a fine line but if losing the car is the only pitfall, it won't be any big deal, it's not like he'll be broke or anything, it's only a few grand. Once again, I was just telling what I know, no more, no less, no recommendations, no judgements.

If I can get more information on how he legally did it I will pass it on, until then I only know what I've already posted.
Last Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:57 PM   #20
MioCLK
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91VR-4boy
I've read all the posts (all of which basically say the same crap anyway) about importing. This question hasn't been answered yet (even in the sticky announcements by the mods).

I'm in the military, so i can get my skyline shipped from japan free of charge... I know i can import it as an unlicensed vehicle (not legalised, only for show/track), but i have to drive it off on a trailor.

My question is can i ship it home (to mississippi), leave it there for a year or so (getting stationed overseas again), then when i return from my overseas assignment, get it legalised. And if so, would i have to ship it all the way back to motorex. I'm just not sure if i could get it licensed after i import it as unlicensed.

Also, where do i take it to get it tested for emissions/safety? Will any certified testing place have the ability to make it legal by passing it or what? (i mean, i'm sure they aren't going to crash my skyline and then tell me, yea, it woulda passed too).

I hope this topic aint as redundant as those others, i don't think so, but i'm not a mod........thanks in advance.

I think you can find your answers here.
http://www.nhtsa.com/cars/rules/import/index.html
MioCLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 08:08 AM   #21
97wvmax
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 97wvmax
how much does it cost to even legalize one anyway? ive been wondering this for a while and no one has a clue that ive talked to. what all has to be done to it for it to be legal? jus paperwork or is there some kind of work that has to be done on the car too?
97wvmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 09:44 AM   #22
GTR_in_SF
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97wvmax
how much does it cost to even legalize one anyway? ive been wondering this for a while and no one has a clue that ive talked to. what all has to be done to it for it to be legal? jus paperwork or is there some kind of work that has to be done on the car too?
If I remember correctly, between $16,000 and $25,000 depending on the model and year.

Contact Motorex, they are the only ones who legalize skylines (unless someone can show proof of another RI being able to do it).

No, it is no just paperwork, most of the modifications are documented, but there are a lot of little things that have remained confidential.
GTR_in_SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 05:33 PM   #23
97wvmax
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 97wvmax
holy shit......
97wvmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:31 AM   #24
90LShatch
AF Enthusiast

so a r32 will cost you around $25,000 and another $25,000 to get it legal to drive?? just wanna make sure im gettin it right thanks.... also i live in oregon so would i talk to my dmv to legalize it cause i know a lady thats works there, or i have to go through motorex to get one leagl in oregon thanks for the comments
90LShatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:01 AM   #25
sami
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90LShatch
so a r32 will cost you around $25,000 and another $25,000 to get it legal to drive?? just wanna make sure im gettin it right thanks.... also i live in oregon so would i talk to my dmv to legalize it cause i know a lady thats works there, or i have to go through motorex to get one leagl in oregon thanks for the comments
No, no, no. You can get a R32 GT-R in great shape for $15k in Japan, take it to Motorex to legalize for $16k and $3-5k for misc expenses like bonds and shipping.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:39 PM   #26
stealthj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stealthj
Re: Re: licensing and unlicensed skyline

i say just try to get it as a show/display car,that way u dont have to pay all those motorex fees,

u can still use it on the road....just less than 2500 miles....

its not that hard to rollback an odometer
Old 12-24-2003, 07:45 PM   #27
sami
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: licensing and unlicensed skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthj
i say just try to get it as a show/display car,that way u dont have to pay all those motorex fees
That's if you're buying something rare, like the 400R. Expensive...
Old 12-24-2003, 07:48 PM   #28
stealthj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stealthj
Re: Re: Re: Re: licensing and unlicensed skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami
That's if you're buying something rare, like the 400R. Expensive...
yeah true....i wish i had money to buy that!!! dont u?
Old 12-24-2003, 10:22 PM   #29
NightXCZ77
Banned

These cars are certifiable vehicles and the DOT, EPA etc... knows that...majority of them won't let you piggyback or anything else because of the Gentlemens' agreement between the government and MotoRex to allow a Monopoly. They don't want to hurt a company making 50k off of a R34 and 65k off of a R33 Skyline now do they? Think of all that tax money!!!
NightXCZ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 12:00 AM   #30
tyndago
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tyndago

Hey Cameron doesnt post where you know nothing.
http://www.gtrusablog.com
tyndago is offline   Reply With Quote