Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 04:26 AM   #1
Ridleyj329
AF Regular

94 sl1 motor mount

possible do it your-selfer or leave it to the pros? and change only whats needed or change one-change all?
Ridleyj329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
saturnspeed_12
AF Enthusiast

Re: 94 sl1 motor mount

depends on your ability, tools, and which on your talking about. the upper one is easy as long as you have the tools, and a jack with a block of wood to support the engine while its removed. the trans dogbone is easy, remove airbox and unbolt it. the bottom engine dogbone can be a bit hard for some.

now its up to you about what you replace. i know of a way in order to keep your mount and build it better then a replacement. i had the idea but never went through with it, but another guy did and has had great success with it. there is also a company for saturns in which has made a motor mount insert which has worked great and they have replacement dogbones for a good price as with another place i know.

1993 Saturn SC2 rebuild project for dad
1995 Saturn SL2 current daily driver /w a lot of work
2007 Chevy Cobalt injen cai, full lsj exhaust, dc sports fsb, progress springs and rear sway bar, enkei wheels/hankook rubber --*boost in progress
saturnspeed_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:02 AM   #3
Ridleyj329
AF Regular

how many motor mounts are on this car?
Old 04-26-2006, 01:57 AM   #4
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

4, the top engine mount(most commonly replaced), the lower transmission mount(maybe the hardest, and thats not saying much), and two non-wieght bearing struts, one under the crank pulley and one below the battery

EPA 608 Universal Certification
EPA 609 Certification
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:01 AM   #5
Ridleyj329
AF Regular

a mechanic friend toold me of one on top and to the right of the crank case. directly right of the speed sensor i believe he said. he said that is needs to be replaced. is that the top one you speak of? and once i replace it once i should be good for a while right? thanx
Old 04-26-2006, 02:14 AM   #6
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

that depends on how you look at it, most mechanics will say the right side of the engine is on the passinger side or back side(depending on mounting)but looking at under the hood the right side is the driverside.

the closest mount to "above the speed sensor" is the strut on the drivers side under the air intake/battery. but have him double check that top passinger side mount too.

EPA 608 Universal Certification
EPA 609 Certification
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:19 AM   #7
saturnspeed_12
AF Enthusiast

none of the mounts are close to the speed sensor. the upper mount is most known to wear out. the dogbones normally take a while, but not certain of when. the upper mount (passenger side, only one easily visible) can go out several times over the life, thats why people are getting the insert or they fill it in with window weld or some are now doing what im going to do which is cut the rubber out and fill it in with polyurethane.

2007 Chevy Cobalt injen cai, full lsj exhaust, dc sports fsb, progress springs and rear sway bar, enkei wheels/hankook rubber --*boost in progress
Old 04-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
Ridleyj329
AF Regular

well i just looked at it for the first time. i saw the one you mention. on the top, looking at the toward the engine its one the left hand side, kind of a u-shaped metal piece with rubber in it? the matal piece seems fine its the the rubber part is f*cked. if it "appears" ok still replace the metal part or just the rubber on the inside? whats the best and/or cheapest way to fix this? also when i mentioned to my friend that i have an idle problem and i already fixed a what was causing it. it lessed away a lot. he said that once i fix the mount it should virtualy vanish considering ill no longer feel it shake from the engine. does anyone have any opinions or experience on the before and after effects and/feel of fixing a bad motor mount. im just curious as to how noticable it will be. thanx every body
Old 04-27-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
saturnspeed_12
AF Enthusiast

on a saturn, when that upper mount goes you normally note more vibrations at idle, then pretty much goes away while driving.

the metal and rubber is all one piece. the easiest thing to do is replace it. there have been 2 versions. i cant remember when they changed, but the ones with 2 humps on the metal, are the weaker ones. the one with a smooth flat metal piece are the stiffer ones.

what i would suggest to do is, get the window weld and fill in the mount. or cut most of the rubber away and fill it in with polyurethane (might not be greatest thing for you). but replacing the mount is easy.

here is a tech article on the mounts. pretty good write up on it.

http://www.evilplastic.com/mounts-a.htm

Old 04-28-2006, 04:37 AM   #10
Ridleyj329
AF Regular

sounds a lil confusing. lol. would my best best bet just be to buy the part the parts store reccemends and watch or help my mech friend as he does it?
Old 04-28-2006, 07:44 PM   #11
saturnspeed_12
AF Enthusiast

if its the upper mount, you wont need help. its easy. if its the trans dogbone, then it will be even easier since you wont need to jack the engine up.

but yeah you can get the mount from the parts store and let him install it if your very uncertain about it. but watch him, and if he knows exactly what hes doing, it will take a couple of minutes and be easy.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:49 PM   #12
Ridleyj329
AF Regular

ok, thanx. thats the very next thing to get fixed as soon as i get my brakes replaced. . . but thats a whole nother thread. lol

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW