Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 03:13 PM   #46
voyageur
AF Enthusiast

Re: Sick of it all

OOOPS...forgot to mention all the pre-awesome unpainted cars with interesting glue-spot patterns on the body

And for those who wonder WTF this (new?unknown?) guy build in all those years....I'll start posting my work as soon as exams are over (2 weeks or so) and I finally buy a digicam (after thinking about it for too long)

BTW: screwed-up models really fill your parts-box once taken apart
Old 01-25-2006, 03:18 PM   #47
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADguy
I haven't been browsing or posting very much lately. It's not because of the newbies or their work. It's simply the paragraph long run-on sentences that are incoherent and hard to decipher that have almost become the norm here.
There's a couple posts similar to what I'm describing on this very page in fact.

I'm not talking about the non-english speakers, or the occasional mispellings.
It's not too hard to use capital letters, and the occasional comma or period.

Only mods can stop this, and make people make an effort to make coherent posts.

cause it's like i like af and the people and all and like keeping my peeps up to date on my work fo sho and am willing to share tips and handy crap and answer questions but when i cant understand the question yo its hard to give and intelligent reply know what i'm saying
Matt, I completely agree with you. That is the thing that annoys me the most. It is an unwritten rule to type coherently so that others whose native tongue is other than english can understand what we are saying. As stated before, this is not a chat room where you need to type quickly; this is a board, where people read your posts later. If anything, in my mind it makes the author appear lazy, or of a young age. Yes, that is a stereo type but the truth is, how many adults do you see typing like that?

So the solution is for people to type coherently. As Matt stated, not everybody speaks English as their first language. We dont need this to be Grammar Forums, or the Spelling Board, we just need people to type to the best of their ability. I've seen several people whose language is other than English type better than me, and thats embarrassing on my behalf.

I do send many people messages asking if they can stop typing in "chat form" and most heed the "warning" for a few days, then they stop typing coherently.

So please remember, this isnt a chat room this is a board and you can take your time to spell correctly. Dont do it for me, do it for the courtesy of others.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
Old 01-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #48
tardster
AF Enthusiast

Ok heres my thoughts. I agree with both sides. Im still somewhat of a newbie here (because I think I suck at modeling). I come in here to get tips, pointers, and ideas all the time. This forum is great for that, but what i've noticed alot of regulars or older members seem rude when a newbie asks a question that has been asked before. Its always answered with FAQ'S and some snide remark or an attempt to (IMHO) make them look stupid by adding a rude remark along with the answer "READ THE FAQ'S". I've been a member of AF for a couple years now, mainly at first it was in the Camaro section. And in the Camaro section we knew we would get newbies in there asking the same questions on a daily basis ( its a part of life, its going to happen) but we always answered them then we added that if they needed anymore help to try the FAQ'S. In this section its backwards to me. I'm almost afraid to ask a question because of the response I will get. I think us regulars should be alittle bit more tolerant of newbies who ask the same questions. I understand its annoying but to me it shows class when you answer it by saying "hey try this or i use this paint" instead of blurting out FAQ's.

How many of you guys go to model shows and look at the cars and ask a guy how he did this or how he did that? I bet you $10.00 he doesnt tell you to read the FAQ'S, he answers you. Now think how many times that guys gets asked that at a show, hundereds i bet and we all know most people who take models to shows go to more than one which means they do it on a regular basis and get asked the same question over and over.

Now as for the chatroom thing I would have to agree with Chad on this. I hate having to skip through half the first page to try to find any tips, ideas and such. Yes I know I could just skip the threads but you never know what you might miss if you dont look through a thread, so I try to look at them all if I can unless I'm looking for something specific. Maybe we could set up some type of a chatroom for the model section so members can go in and talk to each other, this would keep alot of unwanted posts down to a minimum.
I hope this isn't to long or boring but anyway those are my thoughts on this.

Old 01-25-2006, 04:50 PM   #49
MidnightWangan
AF Regular

>>I have said earlier, this thread should be on how we can improve the problems that Chad is facing<<

It's already been answered by various other members, if one perceives that a certain thread or posts are nothing but idle banter by 14yr kids:

-you can choose not to read or
-use the ignore-list button

>>About your question about naming, blaming and shaming. I believe I said befoe something to the extent of this shouldnt be a war of blaming certain people<<

And the intial starting thread does EXACTLY that: NAMES, BLAMES, SPECIFIC NICKNAMES.

My beef is this Mike, I have less than 100 posts since joining AF 2.5yrs ago, admittedly i did chat in some threads recently but since when does answering questions or sharing related-info qualify as useless banter. Does it warrant SPECIFIC naming of NICKNAMES or uncalled-for, uncivilized insults only to 'apologise' later.

Should i SPEFICALLY name the moderators nicknames & accuse them of DOUBLE-STANDARDS (for not editing or deleting the nicknames from the initial post) only to 'apologise' for my 'rashness' afterwards? That's what Big Kahuna meant by pretentious.

Look, if i were here to stir up trouble, i woulda done it ages ago, you guys are the Mods in this little spot in cyberspace, how you guys choose to deal with this is your call, however, doing nothing about the initial 1st post is akin to admission that double-standards DOES in fact exist.

I grow weary of explaining the obvious, Mods just do as you seem fit.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:44 PM   #50
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWangan
My beef is this Mike, I have less than 100 posts since joining AF 2.5yrs ago, admittedly i did chat in some threads recently but since when does answering questions or sharing related-info qualify as useless banter. Does it warrant SPECIFIC naming of NICKNAMES or uncalled-for, uncivilized insults only to 'apologise' later.

Should i SPEFICALLY name the moderators nicknames & accuse them of DOUBLE-STANDARDS (for not editing or deleting the nicknames from the initial post) only to 'apologise' for my 'rashness' afterwards? That's what Big Kahuna meant by pretentious.

Look, if i were here to stir up trouble, i woulda done it ages ago, you guys are the Mods in this little spot in cyberspace, how you guys choose to deal with this is your call, however, doing nothing about the initial 1st post is akin to admission that double-standards DOES in fact exist.

I grow weary of explaining the obvious, Mods just do as you seem fit.
Double standards do exist. It is our duty as a moderator to judge whats allowed and whats not. We have that right as given to us by Igor, the owner. We are to use personal judgement. Therefore, it is impossible for some double standards not to exist.

Everyone is a little rash everyonce and awhile, sometimes people just need to have an emotional dump, just as Chad did. He apologize for some of his actions and his apology should be accepted.

Sometimes when it comes down to it, names need to be named.

Now...what solution can you see of this? Lets keep this a positive track thread instead of making it about whats wrong.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:10 PM   #51
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardster
snip - a good look at both sides of the coin - snip
I agree with you a lot, actually. As much as the same question every week bugs me, it bugs me more that people just refer the new people to the FAQ. If it's so much freakin' trouble to type out an answer to the question, how is it any less trouble to point out the FAQ and be a jerk about it? If you so badly don't want to answer the question, feel free to do just that - not answer the question! I do that a lot, actually. If I see a thread that is a question I don't feel like answering, I don't go in it - an action that I actually am embarassed to admit. Often, people post questions after reading the FAQ, and they didn't get an answer that meant much to them. Sorry, guys, but there is a lot of model specific jargon that we use around here that the fresh builders just won't understand, I'd be surprised if a lot of the FAQ, especially the painting parts, meant much to them. And in that same vien, have ya'll ever thought that the FAQ might be too specific? That it might be hard to answer simple, general questions by just reading the FAQ? Did it ever occur to ya'll that the reason we go to school is because it's nice to have a teacher to talk to and interact with to help us learn better instead of just reading out of a book?

If you don't want to answer newbie's questions, skip it!!!
If you don't like a poster or his threads, skip it!!!

I'd rather be a part of a forum full of pleasant mediocre modelers than a bunch of awesome model building jerks.

Currently listening to: OK Go, "It's A Disaster"

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #52
blubaja
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to blubaja Send a message via MSN to blubaja Send a message via Yahoo to blubaja

Dam Chad! What crawled up your ass today? This is so very similar to my anti-noob thread a few months back. I have noticed most of the noobs were sticking together and mostly posting in their own threads. How does this bother you? I can read it, see it ins't up to your standards of thread or model quality. It doesn't bother me though. So he wants to post up a bunch of shit. That is fully upon himself. Where he goes on about why noone replies, that is just too bad for him he can't figure it out. Kick back tho man. FTW and enjoy your models.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:46 PM   #53
SteveK2003
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SteveK2003 Send a message via Yahoo to SteveK2003

I gotta say, bitter old jerks ranting on everybody posting what they deem to be meaningless pisses me off a helluva lot more than guys with 500 posts about nothing in 6 months.

Time to lock this thread.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:54 PM   #54
blubaja
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to blubaja Send a message via MSN to blubaja Send a message via Yahoo to blubaja

Also, how some people post like 5 consecutive times in one thread instead of going to edit their 1st post.(kinda like this) Kinda makes the thread seem dumb. I vote Chad to be AF official grammar MOD
Old 01-25-2006, 06:57 PM   #55
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK2003
I gotta say, bitter old jerks ranting on everybody posting what they deem to be meaningless pisses me off a helluva lot more than guys with 500 posts about nothing in 6 months.

Time to lock this thread.
I agree. I wanted this thread to be a positive track, but it just seems that others cannot get over the negative to find the positive. If you have something to suggest, use MPWR's thread OR PM me.

Thanks to those who did contribute constructively.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling