Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: What pisses you off about the Import Scene?
Imports with more stickers that horsepower? 32 52.46%
Domestic cars trying too hard to be Imports? 3 4.92%
The scene sometimes being called the "asian scene"? 8 13.11%
The bull we get from cops for an after market catback on our gas sippin car as a 5mpg muscle car roars by? 18 29.51%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 09:18 PM   #46
NB8CT
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by fastrThanU
Anyways, both cars were built with different purposes in mind, so please don't compare a FWD 4-cyl built with economy in mind to a RWD V8 built with straight line performance in mind.
Not sure if you are talking about the Miata or not, but it is RWD not FWD. And about the power, I will be making max boost at ~3K and max torque at ~4.2k.
Old 12-09-2001, 09:25 PM   #47
amxracer
AF Newbie

why would you say how good german cars are and use vw as an example, why not use porsche?
Old 12-09-2001, 09:30 PM   #48
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

Smile

sorry i didn't seem clear in my thread NB8CT, i was mainly speaking generally about hopped up 4 cyls, not specifically.

bye the way, just out of curiosity, how much HP & TQ will you be putting out when you're done? have you run any 1/4 times yet?

11.67@117
"plaster your ass to the back glass"
.... put yer motor where yer mouth is.....
Old 12-09-2001, 09:43 PM   #49
NB8CT
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by fastrThanU
sorry i didn't seem clear in my thread NB8CT, i was mainly speaking generally about hopped up 4 cyls, not specifically.

bye the way, just out of curiosity, how much HP & TQ will you be putting out when you're done? have you run any 1/4 times yet?
Its ok man, i just wanted to specify. I am amazed at how many people dont know that the miata is not fwd. Currently, I am still w/o turbo. Mainly becuase this is my daily driver and I dont want to drive in a Chicago winter with a light rwd turbo car; not fun. Right now I have the TECII in and still kinda low on the learning curve but making progress. The turbo will go in late spring if all goes good. I had a minor set back in my money due to my first accident in my dads Impreza :
I had to pay the $500 deductable. But when all is up and running, and the car is dialed in right, I hope to hit ~280rwhp and ~245lb/ft at about 12~14 psi.
Old 12-09-2001, 10:28 PM   #50
NismoDrifts
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to NismoDrifts
That means you win!!!!!!!

no, im just kidding. It wasnt my qoute. Just mentioning it.

Yeah, both parts, HP and torque, have to coincide equally for an all around great vehicle. Everyone knows, well, SHOULD know, that.
Old 12-09-2001, 10:31 PM   #51
NismoDrifts
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to NismoDrifts
Errrrrrr......that above post was to a comment by AlexB on one of my posts.......

But, about the miatas, gotta love em, everyone around here thinks theyre real chick cars, but then again, down here anything that ISNT a mustang or an IROC is a chick car
Old 12-09-2001, 10:33 PM   #52
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs up

sounds like a nice ride, man.

11.67@117
Old 12-09-2001, 10:39 PM   #53
NB8CT
Banned

fastrThanU-
i noticed something interesting, you have in your signature that your car has 400hp and ran a 11.67 right. I am wondering how much your car weights? I say this cuz there is a miata that has 400rwhp and ran a 10.98 @ 122mph. It weighs under 2200 lbs IIRC. Just would like to know your cars weight for a comparation since you have the same hp.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:24 AM   #54
MaxBoost1990
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MaxBoost1990 Send a message via Yahoo to MaxBoost1990
Ok, this is kinda late., but NBBCT, I can show you an american car with that. Dodge Daytona/ Spirit R/T. 2.2 liters, and 224 hp. Pretty close eh?
But I do have to agree about the gas mileage. I guess it all depends what you like . The horsepower numbers can be equal, nut the v-8 will win for torque. But the import gets better mieage, but the v-8 has a better sound.... In my opinion, they are both equal. where one shines, the other doesnt. They are both very competitive against each other. A

Also, I have to disagree with the import wanna be thing. You get some good suspension kits(imported from japan or japan inspired) and that late model Camaro/Trans Am/ Mustang will handle MUCH better. Also, a nice set of 17" rims looks GREAT on the new Z-28!
Old 12-10-2001, 02:33 AM   #55
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

NB8CT- i'm not sure exactly how much the chevelle weighs in its state right now. i've found stats for SS chevelles, but they were heavier by a couple hundred pounds due to the big block motor, and heavier components that came with the SS package. also, i have done some lightening to the car itself, but still retain a reasonably stock appearance. some pieces were replaced by aluminum or other strong lighweight materials, and the restoration sheetmetal, bumpers etc... are noticably thinner in gauge than OEM. also, just so you know, the 400HP rating is on the conservative side. there are a bunch of mods to the internals that have not been listed in the buildup on the motor (piston coating, rockers, rods, lifters, extrude honing.....)

11.67@117
Old 12-10-2001, 08:18 AM   #56
NB8CT
Banned

But the 11.67 that you post is a current e/t?
Old 12-10-2001, 09:50 AM   #57
fastrThanU
AF Enthusiast

yeah, the 11.67 is current best time.

11.67@117
Old 12-10-2001, 09:57 AM   #58
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Quote:
Originally posted by AlexB
Hmmm so if I got a diesel car with 300lbs torque but only 150hp... what's that mean?
You would have a lot of pulling power, but don't plan on racing it.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:55 PM   #59
MaxBoost1990
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MaxBoost1990 Send a message via Yahoo to MaxBoost1990
Another late post.. A little to clear the air. I confirmed this with our local speed shops this morning(I live in rural wisconsin, so none believe imports can be fast..lol). Torque is what pulls you off the line and gets the vehicle moving. That's why a v-8 will always be faster off the line.HP takes over when the torque curve drops off, typically after 3500 rpm or less. Notice, most v-8' make max torque @ about 3200 rpm. HP is what gives you the rest. that's why high revving 4 cyls can be competitive against them. Where the v-8 drops off, the 4 cyl is just begining. So, back to my original argument, it's all a matter of preference.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:10 PM   #60
NHRAimport
AF Newbie

Exclamation stickas

stickas all over yo ride are so you get paid contingency posts in a sanctined rizace. i must admit some peeps have gone a bit overboard so that you may wonder how they can see out their windoes, but shit, if they be makin' dough i ain't gone talk shiz. import racing covers all kinds of races, asian, white, black, hispanic. some groups may be bigger than othuhs but shit, one world is enuf for all of us ('cept da tal-ee-ban). NHRA is givin all us racers a chance to make our own $dough$ check it. www.nhraimport.com. they are soon changing the name to nhrasportcompact to make it suitable fo' all domestics, also. see ya at da track!