Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Let's get Technical!
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Let's get Technical! Discussion for hardcore in-depth motor heads!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #1
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44
Exclamation Acceleration Problem

Hey, I've been having a problem with my car for about a year now. From time to time, I'll be cruising or slightly accelerating, my car will hesitate and then come back. It feels like the fuel cuts out for a second and then comes right back. I've changed spark plugs and wires. I had a couple different shops look at the car and they can't find the problem. And of course, the car never hesitates when I'm trying to show somebody .

Could it be a malfunction with the fuel pump? Sorry if my description sounds a lil vague. But a new problem has popped up recently. Sometimes when I come to a stop, the car will hit idle, then hit a series of flares. RPMs will jump from like 400 to 1700 and back. Sometimes if I just give the throttle a stab in neutral, it'll stop. Otherwise, I gotta shut the engine off and start it back up. I'm not sure if its related to the hesitation problem at all. I'm thinking this could be a problem with the ecu. I doubt its a clutch problem, there are no other signs of my clutch going out.

Any ideas??? I'm not really sure of the cause of either problem.

00accord44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
97integrals
AF Regular

any check engine lights? could be a lot of things, rotor, fuel filter etc..
-btw, love the pic in you avatar!!
97integrals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:10 AM   #3
T3turbo
AF Newbie

Re: Acceleration Problem

what it could is idle is not set right and has to be set at certain periods of time , but let it set and run then when it gets warmed up in N set the correct idle in N should be under the hood to set at
T3turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:00 AM   #4
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx
Re: Re: Acceleration Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3turbo
what it could is idle is not set right and has to be set at certain periods of time , but let it set and run then when it gets warmed up in N set the correct idle in N should be under the hood to set at
I can take an entire car apart, every bolt, and I can't for the life of me understand what the fuck you just said.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44
Re: Re: Re: Acceleration Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrx
I can take an entire car apart, every bolt, and I can't for the life of me understand what the fuck you just said.
lol
what I think hes saying is to let the car warm up, leave it in neutral and set the idle with the idle screw under the hood. Hopefully its that simple. But the hesitation problem I really don't see being that easy

97integra, no check engine lights. Well, there has been one or two in the past year since its been happening, but its always been the routine maintenance. No mechanic has ever been able to identify a problem visually, and since it doesn't happen on a regular basis (sometimes two or three times a day, sometimes two or three times a month) I can't just bring it in and let them drive it to feel the hesitation. I think this is my car's payback from the time I had to put $10 of el cheapo gas in her cuz I was close to E in the middle of nowhere. She laughs at me from the garage, I can feel it

btw, how could it be a rotor? That never really was one of my possibilities I diagnosed

Old 07-08-2005, 12:10 PM   #6
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93

change the fuel filter, then dizzy cap and rotor. oh and also, reset the ECU.
Greenblurr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:21 PM   #7
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Aaah, the distributor rotor. That makes sense, when you said rotor before, my brain immediately jumped to my brakes. I thought about it being the fuel filter, but it seemed to me that it would hesitate way more often or at least more consistently if my filter was clogged up. I dunno. Thanks for the advice though.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #8
greenmonkey
AF Newbie

although i doubt this is the solution it couldnt hurt. when my parents gave me my 90 integra it had been sitting around for a summer and when we started it up and drove it around it hesitated under acceleration. my dad told me to throw in some of the fuel cleaner. cleared it right up. it sounds like a problem with the fuel system or maybe your comp isnt recognizing when you pushing down on the throttle.
good luck with fixing the problem
greenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:35 PM   #9
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Yeah. I've done a few fuel system flushes. At first it seemed like it worked since the car did run a bit smoother and it didn't do the hesitation thing immediately, but like a week or two later, it comes back. Not to say that it ever really left. Its like a stray cat hangin around the back porch. I may not see it every day, but its still around somewhere... untill I kill it!

no cats were harmed in the making of this post

Old 07-09-2005, 06:08 PM   #10
Kven
AF Enthusiast

my problem was the o2(after you drive for awhile like on the highway, slow down, then try to speed back up it would studder). changed it, problem fixed.

WTB: CRX mudflaps(both front and rear)...PM me if you have some for sale!!!
Kven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 08:49 PM   #11
woofhaven
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to woofhaven

kven -- did you get any codes before replacing the O2? The reason I ask is that my '98 accord has had this same (VERY occasional) hesitation issue pretty much since it was new. But it shows up only about once every 5,000 miles, so I have never really tried to diagnose it.
woofhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:30 PM   #12
Kven
AF Enthusiast

i had no codes except for TPS i think; which i still havent diagnosed because the car seems to be running fine.

WTB: CRX mudflaps(both front and rear)...PM me if you have some for sale!!!
Kven is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Let's get Technical!