Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - New/New Beetle Convertible
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 03:04 PM   #1
tony.price225
AF Newbie

VW Beetle Cabriolet 2004 - door actuator failed and deadlocked

The passenger side door lock actuator failed on our 2004 Beetle cabriolet. I believe it is related to the actuator lever not fully returning and 'resetting' the mechanism. This went whilst the door was shut. I followed the youtube stuff to remove the grooved peg in the door handle and get the door card slightly off. After 3 hours of fiddling the door popped open. I was able to remove the door handle lock but did not have the mutlipointed tool to remove the acutator. I re-closed the door as the car was in use thinking I could pop the door open again once I had purchased the tool. fast forward a few days later and now the door won't re-open. I can get the handle off, I have even been able to remove the entire inside door panel and I can reach the actuator and move all the levers but it seems to have deadlocked. Because the cabriolet door overlaps the rear panel I can't get to the catch and because of the solid design of the rear panel on the inside i can't get to the other side of the door latch. Each attempt I only have a small window of opportunity to try and move the actuator levers before the central locking resets, I can't get to the door hinges because the door is shut. All the electrics are still connected although of course I can't get to the fuse box because it is at the end of the dash, hidden between the closed door and the end of the dash. There appears to be no advice online for this set of circumstances and I am the point of smashing the actuator or cutting the entire door off
tony.price225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 04:14 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: VW Beetle Cabriolet 2004 - door actuator failed and deadlocked

Only one think I can is disconnect your battery. Don't know of any special cautions, radio codes, idle relearn etc. I'd research that or call a dealer service department and ask about disconnecting the battery. Might be something in Owners manual.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - New/New Beetle Convertible