Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
drchemistry
AF Newbie

power window scraping noise

The drivers side power window on my 2001 Suburban (1500, 2wd) started making a scraping sound when moving both up and down. I removed the regulator and everything looked OK. Then I hooked the regulator back up to power with it out so I could watch it move up and down. I can't see anything wrong with it, but it still makes the nasty sound with it out operating on the ground (wo the glass). I greased it up thoroughly and it still makes the noise! The sounds seems mostly to come from the top right pulley, but no amount of lube has any effect. Any suggestions? Is this a common problem?
drchemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: power window scraping noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchemistry View Post
The drivers side power window on my 2001 Suburban (1500, 2wd) started making a scraping sound when moving both up and down. I removed the regulator and everything looked OK. Then I hooked the regulator back up to power with it out so I could watch it move up and down. I can't see anything wrong with it, but it still makes the nasty sound with it out operating on the ground (wo the glass). I greased it up thoroughly and it still makes the noise! The sounds seems mostly to come from the top right pulley, but no amount of lube has any effect. Any suggestions? Is this a common problem?
these plastic pulleys are pivoting on a rivet..oil 20wt with grafite mixed in an oil can usually stops most problems like this..

as you most likely know the cables and motors of these designed to fail window regulators are of the lowest quality...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
drchemistry
AF Newbie

A couple of days after lubing it the regulator failed and would not roll the window up. I replaced it myself with a new one costing $213 at the dealer. If GM can't sell cars, at least they stay open selling parts.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchemistry View Post
A couple of days after lubing it the regulator failed and would not roll the window up. I replaced it myself with a new one costing $213 at the dealer. If GM can't sell cars, at least they stay open selling parts.
in the future get your regulators at 1A auto in massachusetts...
free shipping....you can get 2 regulators and take your freind out to dinner with what you paid.....

I bought 1 from the dealer at 178.00.....then I found 1a auto...the quality of the regulator I got from 1a had heavier wires and the unit was well greased with white lithium..

other vehicles like 2003 2500 silverado I got 2 regulators for 130.oo total delivered,,,in 2 days...with a lifetime warrantee...with GM parts no warrantee...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
drchemistry
AF Newbie

Thanks for the tip!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
regulator , window
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban