Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which car would you suggest?
Audi A8 -- 98 to 2001 2 33.33%
BMW 740 -- 97 to ?? 0 0%
Infiniti Q45 -- 97 to 2001 2 33.33%
Lexus SC400 -- 95 to 99 0 0%
Mitsubish 3000GT VR4 -- 94-99 1 16.67%
Nissan 300ZX -- 90 to 96 -- Must be turbo 0 0%
Toyota Supra TT -- 93 to 97 (only car I haven't test driven) 0 0%
Other -- Please specify 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 01:27 PM   #16
Chad82
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Chad82
Re: Which used car would be best for me in your opinion?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The reason I put the japanese TTs up there was in part just to show the range that I really am considering.

I test drove an X-Type 3.0 yesterday and overall I left feeling a little underwhelmed. It performed alright, it looked alright, and it drove alright. Pretty much I found it to be the gold standard of mediocrity. Really nothing WRONG with it, just didn't find anything right with it.

The 02+ Q45s I do really like, but it is just looking like most of them are out of my price range. I really like the Q45 line and feel comfortable in them.

The A8 (98-01) had been my front runner. I went to go test drive one yesterday and the (might be wrong term, the guy had a real accent) "pentiometer" (Audi exclusive part) was bad on it causing it to flood the engine. Apparently that is a $900 repair, which isn't too big of a deal to me, but after talking with the mechanic his general feel of Audi was "Great cars, one of my favorites, when they are running. But when something goes wrong, it seems like everything goes wrong". Just a lot of headache for me, so I think Audis are out for the time being.

I hadn't considered an IS300 before because I thought they would be too cramped. From the class they were in I had thought they would be poor front and rear room (instead of adequate front horrible rear like in the japanese turbos I had listed off). If I am wrong on this, I will deffinately check them out.

I also tried out a '04 G35 sedan RWD yesterday and really liked it. I am doing a bit more research on it, but it just felt like an all around great car. I would prefer either the coupe or the AWD, but is one I will deffinately look into more.
Chad82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:03 PM   #17
clawhammer
AF Fanatic

I voted for the 3000GT. It's a great touring car, which is probably what you'd like. It's very roomy inside, and the 320 hp engine is fast. It also has AWD,which is great in the rain/snow. You're 23, get a car that is sporty, and doesn't make you look like a 50-year old businessman.

Mods:
Engine: Comptech Air Intake Box, miscellanous chrome dress up pieces
Suspension: Comptech front strut tower bar
Exterior: Grillcraft grill, lots of wax
Interior: Rick's leather console cover, Muz one-piece luxury floormats, Rick's windscreen,
Electronics/Audio: Polk speakers
Wheels/tires: 18" SSR Competition wheels with 225/40 and 255/35 tires

clawhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:47 PM   #18
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Re: Which used car would be best for me in your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawhammer
I voted for the 3000GT. It's a great touring car, which is probably what you'd like. It's very roomy inside, and the 320 hp engine is fast. It also has AWD,which is great in the rain/snow. You're 23, get a car that is sporty, and doesn't make you look like a 50-year old businessman.
reliabilty on 3kGT's are not very good. if he is worried about repairs on an Audi i doubt he wants to deal with a Mitsubishi.

So, no Audi, no Jag...

i would seriously go take a look at the IS300 and see about the room. i found quite roomy front and back but then i again i drive a 300zx so anything that is a sedan is quite roomy.

and you are right, the Jap sports you mentioned are roomy in the front but contain no backseats or little backseats. they offer class but more sporty than anything else.

so..what about the G35 Coupe? it has better performance than some of the large luxury cars you are looking at.

basically you are left with Mercedes and BMW...i have never been a fan of Mercedes so i will not comment because i dont know and i dont like.

but BMW makes nice cars...very nice cars. if i were in your position, it would be a BMW M3. quite a bit roomier than the Jap sports cars, class of European Luxury, and performs better than anything you have listed. so...i think it would be like having it all in one package.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #19
Chad82
AF Regular

How is the traction on the M3s? I was coming back from my girlfriends around 8:30 this morning and there was the dreaded washington black ice and my old 91 Q45 was handling horribly. Fishtailing like crazy and the ABS was working overtime.

The maintenance on the 3000GTs I am familar with. I had one for my first car (was 92 std. coupe with only the 222 hp) and most of the problems with them seem to be people not doing regular maintenance. I ended up selling it after having it for about 6 months (insurance was killing me) but they are an evil I know (as opposed to audi, which seems like it is very unique).

EDIT

Also with a VR4, it would likely be a car I only keep for a couple of years and then move on. It would be around 1/2 of my budget, and they are appearing to really keep there value. If I got a VR4 I would probably only buy from a private party that is original owner so I could try to get a feel for them.

For the G35s, after test driving the std. sedan, I will deffinately look into them further. I have heard nothing but good things about them. On the AWD sedan I would love the AWD, on the coupe I love the power. Both of them really seem like winners to me.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:40 PM   #20
Oldengineer
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanM3_S2
Actually the most recent C&D comparo was in 2004, well after the reliability issues should have been sorted out. It placed 7th out of 7. They didn't cite price or reliability as major problems. Here is a link to the article-

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=2

They didn't say it was a bad car at all, just not nearly as good as its competitors. The suspention is too soft, the transmission isn't very good, and it really just doesn't make a great sports sedan. I love the exterior styling, and the interior, while small, looks great. Its a good luxury car, but for a similar price (often less), you can get an Audi, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, or Acura that is a good luxury car AND a good sports sedan.

In my eyes, the X-Type is to Jaguar what the C-Class is to Mercedes Benz. They both seem like good cars until you go and drive the competition.
I drove the competition in 2003. Of course I was interested in an automatic, not a 5 speed manual. Have never driven a X manual, so I don't know how decent the manual is. I agree with you on the C-Class. However, when I got down to serious shopping, the Jag came in at $6K less than a comparably equipped 325i w/o AWD. The price differential with the competing Lexus w/o AWD was even worse than that. Of course I knew that the Jag would depreciate worse than the BMW, so I factored that in. My final decision was made after I test drove the 325i.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #21
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

The problem with the M3 is price. You probably will not be able to find an E46 M3 (2001- ) withing your price range. The resale value on BMWs is just about the best in the industry, so even a no-options 2001 M3 coupe with 60,000 miles will still cost about $30,000. A more desireable one would cost at least $35,000.

The E36 M3 (1995-1999) is a great car too, just nowhere near as modern. The E36 generates 240hp vs. the E46's 333hp. The interior is a bit outdated as well, coming from a car designed in 1993. They are great cars that are very well known for their handling and steering. An E36 should be well withing your price range, but I am afraid it might be too old for your liking.

Personally, I love every M3 ever made, but I've become a bit of a BMW maniac on here. I'd go test drive one.

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:31 AM   #22
JLad10687
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JLad10687

Im sorry but I didnt read all of the posts so if I mistakingly suggest something twice, please forgive me.

What about a Nissan 350Z/Infiniti G35 coupe. They are both quick enough out of the box and very nice interiors. The G35 can also be found as AWD and will have a little more badge appeal.

Or a 2001ish Porsche Boxster, if you want to "represent yourself and your company" well, what better then a Porsche. Repairs may be a little pricey but you're making $60,000 a year, and you wont have a car payment so why not.

I don't know if you are in the SUV market, but an Infinit FX35/Nissan Murano are very smooth riding SUVs. The FX35 to me is personally a little better looking and has a 0-60 time of 7.3. It is not much larger then an Audi A8 and is roomy for clients and very luxurious. Just throwing something out there. Im also not sure if you can find a used FX35 in that price range yet but def. a Murano.

JLad10687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:06 AM   #23
mason_RsX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to mason_RsX

To throw a complete curveball to this comparison

What about a Cadillac CTS. or even a CTS-V

It looks good, is stylish, powerful, as fuel effecient as alot of the others, and you could get a newer model, that would cost less and have fewer kms than alot of the cars listed

It would also suit your needs for status for your business...plus, its got an LS1

2002 Acura RSX Type-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGNAL748
I have an outrageously large penis.
mason_RsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:24 PM   #24
Chad82
AF Regular

Regarding boxster, the leg room, from looking at the numbers, seems to be rather limited. Also I would be be scared of trying to work on it myself, which I do enjoy.

The midsized SUVs, I have thought on and off about picking one up. The aspects of having one for the bad traction days is a bonus, but I have never really been much of an SUV person. Although one of my buddies does have the Murano, and I really do like that. I will have to give that more consideration.

Regarding the caddies, I don't particularly like the styling of them. Im sure they are good vehicles, just don't see myself driving one.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:27 PM   #25
Chad82
AF Regular

Oh, and regarding the E36, the age doesn't really bother me. I would be looking at one 97+ and the interior doesn't feel "outdated" to me. The only issue I have with them, upon looking at them without test driving one, is the front leg space, since they want the rear seats to actually be viable.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:48 AM   #26
thrasher
AF Enthusiast

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the Lexus GS400/430. They're fast, look great, very luxurious, handle pretty well, and are built like a freakin tank. You'd never have a problem with one. I know the couple times I've driven them I felt like a million bucks, they're really fantastic vehicles.

"Don't have sex man. It leads to kissing and pretty soon you have to start talking to them."
Steve Martin.
thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:39 AM   #27
Chad82
AF Regular

Well, after a lot more research and test drives, I am beggining to say maybe a new car is the way for me to go. If I was to get a new car, I would probably have a strict limit of $35,000, but of course prefer the $25,000 range as then I could pay cash.

Some cars that I test drove and liked, but didn't lover:

06 Avalon
Pros - Quick enough, great interior, decent mileage

Con - Don't like the looks of it.

06 Monte Carlo SS
Pros - Quick, Displacement on Demand, like the styling (nice without being an attention drawer), excellent interior room

Cons - FWD which caused the most horrible torque steer I ever encountered, only comes in automatic, and the cluster is absolutely bland. If the FWD and automatic were solved, I would buy this car in an instant.

05 Infinit G35 coupe

Pro - Everything about it but the cons

Con - Felt a little cramped though not small, and this, if I buy a new car where I would be hit with most of the depriciation so I would keep it for a while, is a bigger deal.

Beyond that, I am hoping to test drive a 05/06 Dodge Charger R/T. I don't really like the styling on them (and really hate the 4 door) but the concept of the vehicle I love...
Old 01-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #28
clawhammer
AF Fanatic

Did you buy a car yet? If depreciation is an issue on the G35, why not get a certified used one? The warranty is actually longer than the factory one on a certified used car.

Mods:
Engine: Comptech Air Intake Box, miscellanous chrome dress up pieces
Suspension: Comptech front strut tower bar
Exterior: Grillcraft grill, lots of wax
Interior: Rick's leather console cover, Muz one-piece luxury floormats, Rick's windscreen,
Electronics/Audio: Polk speakers
Wheels/tires: 18" SSR Competition wheels with 225/40 and 255/35 tires

clawhammer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons