Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > ZX2
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
wintonboy
AF Newbie

Timing Belt Change

I just bought my kid a 98 ZX2 and thought I should change the timing belt. My Haynes manual mentions a couple of special tools needed; an alignment bar and a pin. Does any one have the exact dimensions of these? From the pics in the manual, it does not look like it would be difficult to machine them out of stock.

Thanks.
wintonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Markb873
AF Regular

Re: Timing Belt Change

Don't have the dementions but there $20 at zxtuner.com or $12.99 special order at Parts Plus. I think Napa can order it too. Use the slots in the cams to find the width.
Markb873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
Paul78zephyr
AF Newbie

I just changed the timing belt on my 2001 ZX2 (116K miles) back in March. Here is some general info (from memory) so use you manual too.

You do not need the TDC 'pin' but you will definately need the camshaft alignment tool. Its basically a hardened steel bar that fits into slots in the ends of both camshafts. Basically you remove the serpentine belt, timing belt covers (upper and lower), spark plugs, and valve cover. Put a long socket extension or screwdriver in the #1 spark plug hole and turn the engine over by hand at the crank bolt until the #1 piston is nearing TDC on the compression stroke (by observing the extension) then observe the slots in the ends of the cams until you can slip the alignment tool into both slots (if the slots are way off then you are at TDC on the exhaust stroke). The tool will sit horizontally and lay on the head surface where the valve cover gasket sits. You will need to manually turn the exhaust cam with an adjustable wrench on the cast-in hex to get that cam's slot aligned with the other cams slot due to the way the VCT (variable cam timing) operates. Once the tool is installed you can loosen the tensioner pulley and remove the belt.

Although not totally necessary I would highly recommend you replace the tensioner and idler pullies. Some ZX2s have two idler pullies but mine only had one - even the parts guy at the Ford dealer scratched his head when I brought back the unused pulley (the lower one). The threaded hole was there for it but the pulley was not and I bopught my ZX2 brand new. Replacing the pullies adds a bit of work as you need to remove the center timing belt cover (really a metal bracket) but Ive read about alot of people who had trouble with mixing new belts with old pullies.

Here are some links with more info (I had asked questions there before I did mine too):

http://teamzx2.com/index.php/topic,8375.0.html
http://teamzx2.com/index.php/topic,26093.0.html

Paul
Paul78zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
wintonboy
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info Paul. That is better than my Haynes manual! What is the pin for? I have access to a pretty complete machine shop, so would enjoy making my own bar and pin. I have made all sorts of gear and pulley pullers already.
wintonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
brandone1987
AF Newbie

whats funny is i didnt use none of that stuff to change my timing belt i just used a screw driver to figure out tdc and aligned the flat spots on the cams w/ a wrench then put the belt on.
brandone1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
Markb873
AF Regular

A counterweight on the crankshaft will hit the pin when it reaches TDC and makes it easier to set the belt.
Markb873 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > ZX2