Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tercel
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
987qqq
AF Newbie

how connect tachometer to 94 Tercel

To connect a tachometer to my 94 Tercel my manual shows a tach with one lead going to the positive battery post, one to the negative post and a third lead connecting to a jumper wire connected to the data link connector. My tach only has two leads. If I need a tach with three leads where can I get one and can I use a paper clip as a jumper wire? Thanks.
987qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
KimMG
AF - Advisor

Re: how connect tachometer to 94 Tercel

What are the two leads from your tach suppose to be connected to? I would not use a paper clip for a jumper wire, it is not insulated and it would be difficult to attach the proper terminals. Use the proper guage automotive wire.
KimMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
987qqq
AF Newbie

My manual shows two leads coming from the positive tach connection, one of which connects to the positive battery post and the second to the negative battery post, and one lead coming from the negative tach connection going to a wire inserted in the diagnostic unit. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:37 AM   #4
KimMG
AF - Advisor

I think you misunderstood my question. You have a tach with two leads. Is this a tach from another vehicle? Or is it an after market one?
I am assuming the manual you are refering to shows the wiring for a stock tach. Your two wire tach may work, but it just has to be connected differently than the three wire. Do you know what the two leads went to?

I have a tach with two leads, one lead goes to the coil and the other goes to a switched power source. The tach is grounded through the case so I had to make a wire with two eye terminals, one end connected to the mounting strap for the tach and the other end I attached to the body of the car.
KimMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:43 AM   #5
987qqq
AF Newbie

Sorry, the tach I'm talking about is a diagnostic tach, not one that is installed in the vehicle. I just want to check the rpm and adjust it occasionally.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tercel