Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 01:58 AM   #1
TrUnKs714
AF Newbie

B20 long block+b18c5 head=?

how much flywheel hp would i get from this setup? what compression ratio?
TrUnKs714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 01:05 PM   #2
Phatwhippin_CRX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Phatwhippin_CRX Send a message via AIM to Phatwhippin_CRX Send a message via Yahoo to Phatwhippin_CRX

I AM the Anti-Rice!

Swap info, Turbo tech, and naked chicks!
Phatwhippin_CRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 10:09 PM   #3
Rgacke
AF Regular

The sky is the limit for this set up, with a well tuned tubro set up I've seen between 300-400hp.....but it also depends on how much you have to spend. Read the links above 'cause you'll find very valuable info, things like the low clearence between b20 pistons and VTEC valves.....
http://www.hybrid.honda-perf.org/
Rgacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 01:56 AM   #4
exospeedAMcrx
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to exospeedAMcrx
On a stock B20 block and a stock B18C5 head, not as much as it seems. Its a low compression block with a dope head. I think the B20 is made to have aftermarket pistons. For all motor, I would go with a 11.5:1 piston with a B18c5 head. This combo can put out aound 200HP to the wheels. A great setup since the head will have some good cams as well as a good decent valvetrain. Mated to a 2.0L block, it would be a great daily driven setup. Upgrade the valvetrain to accomodate Jun or Toda cams and this setup will rip into the 200 teens HP range.

We built a B20 block with 12:1 pistons on a stock GSR block. It put out 184 to the wheels with 148 lbs of torque. this is on a stock header, stock head, stock exhaust, stock intake box and stock ECU.

With just the basic bolt ons, and the ITR cam, its easily above 200HP.

Wil www.exospeed.com

crex22@exospeed.com
exospeedAMcrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 07:21 AM   #5
Phatwhippin_CRX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Phatwhippin_CRX Send a message via AIM to Phatwhippin_CRX Send a message via Yahoo to Phatwhippin_CRX
muhahahhaaha I can't wait for my damn B20 block....

I AM the Anti-Rice!

Old 01-18-2002, 08:35 AM   #6
mellowboy
Amy dragged me here...

Send a message via Skype™ to mellowboy
Quote:
Originally posted by Phatwhippin_CRX
muhahahhaaha I can't wait for my damn B20 block....
HEY UR GOIN WITH THAT SET UP? Remember i told you that i read your sight awhile back? Sayin that you wouldn't recommend LS/V-TEC or b20 v-tec? Now u changed ur mind? Man ur site is the reason i didn't go with that set up and now i have a b16 just sitting here waiting to be installed in spring! MAN THANKS ALOT!!
mellowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 09:55 AM   #7
Phatwhippin_CRX
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by mellowboy

HEY UR GOIN WITH THAT SET UP? Remember i told you that i read your sight awhile back? Sayin that you wouldn't recommend LS/V-TEC or b20 v-tec? Now u changed ur mind? Man ur site is the reason i didn't go with that set up and now i have a b16 just sitting here waiting to be installed in spring! MAN THANKS ALOT!!
lol.....

See I DO have a problem with frankenstein motors, all of them actually.

I'm probably going straight B20-turbo.... but if for some reason, I EVER decide to go CRVTEC I'm gonna use Endyne custom length rods, that make the R/S ratio around 1.7X which is nearly perfect. Sure, they cost an arm, a leg, a testicle.... but it's the only way to do it right.

Type R oil pump and stainless fittings, I mean yeah it all adds up....... but if you do it RIGHT, and take evry piossible precaustion, I'm all for it. Problem is...... most people just slap a head on a block and wonder why shit blows up

Who am I kidding, I'll have a boosted b16a soon enough and won't have the $$$$ to deal with building/maintaining a frankenstein..... lol

I AM the Anti-Rice!

Old 01-18-2002, 06:59 PM   #8
exospeedAMcrx
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to exospeedAMcrx
More money to maintain a Vtec conversion setup? It cost the same as maintaining any motor, whether all motor or turbo.

People who do LS.VTEC conversions who dont do the correct upgrades dont deserve to run a motor like that. Performance is not achieved by half assing upgrades. Performance is achieved by doing this correctly with quality parts.

As far as the B20 "hype". I dont think its all that. 2 years ago, I believed I was part of the B20 experimentation. We built a B20 with 12:1 compression pistons and using a GSR head. THe results were great, great torque(148lbs) and good HP(184HP). All this achieved on a stock header, stock head, stock ECU, stock box intake, and stock muffler. With just a few modifications, we were able to bump it up to 200hp. still stock head and stock ECU.

But if you ask me now, would I still go B20? No, I would stick with the LS motor and you can still achieve great numbers like the B20/V setup.
Another option with the LS block is to sleeve and overbore to 2.0L. Why not just go with a b20 to get the 2.0L? With this setup, you will get a 2.0L motor and its already sleeved. It will cost just a couple of hundred dollars more than a b20 block with pistons and rods but with this 2liter upgrade your block is already sleeved.
The $900 (avg price)you spend on theb20 block can go towards the sleeving of the B18A/B.

If you need help/guidance to building a block, check out the site.
www.exospeed.com
Wil crex22@exospeed.com
exospeedAMcrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 02:01 AM   #9
LSVTEC92HB
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to LSVTEC92HB
Going B20 its good power but cost alot i mean you can but it together and it will not last you have to build the botem end make it bullit proof really strong also build the head our you can save some money and go LS VTEC thats what i have in a 92 CX
LSVTEC92HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 11:37 PM   #10
Phatwhippin_CRX
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by exospeedAMcrx
More money to maintain a Vtec conversion setup? It cost the same as maintaining any motor, whether all motor or turbo.

Can't say I agree with you on that one.....

I AM the Anti-Rice!

Old 02-11-2002, 05:55 PM   #11
Brice
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Brice
Mmmmmmm....B20 VTEC....yummy.... :smoka:
Brice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 08:04 AM   #12
Maryland90Hatch
AF Newbie

Lightbulb So what are the cons of building a LS/VTEC?

As I write this my friend and I are building a LS/VTEC. I'm usind a B18A block (LS) that I have sleeved (iron sleeved), welded the passages shut, and removed water pump (running a external elec. water pump). We're in the process of finding a head (of course I'm going with a B16 head), and right now I'm stuck whether to use 12:1 Arias pistons, or 11:1 JE pistons? I'm planning to drive this car everyday (daily driver) so that's why I'm stuck in which piston to use. I would love to go with the 12:1 and just retard the timing, but do you guys think this is safe for daily driving, should I rather go with the 11.1? EXOSPEED, how well does your car run with 12.1 comp., do u drive it everyday? What are your pros and cons? I would appreciate any response, thanks.

Martin

PS - I'm dropping this motor in a 90 Hatch STD (lightest 90 civic, next to CRX HF), I think

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical