Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe Includes the VQ35DE, VQ37VHR - Z33 and Z34.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 01:26 AM   #1
Grim13
AF Newbie

Unhappy 350z Sucks!

Say it isn't true. I've been doing a lot of forum reading about 350z owners and their cars. I'm looking to get the performance or the touring model, but now I'm getting second thoughts from what I've been reading. It appears that the 350z has a lot of internal problems. I have a 99 4Runner that runs like a charm, but consumes 16 mpg... and I need something similar in dependability. My second option is the Infiniti G35, but my heart is still set on the 350z. I wonder if the 2004 models have been refined.. Also, I'm looking to slap in a Stillen supercharger. Would that hurt my gas mileage by much?
Old 09-22-2003, 09:43 PM   #2
z33guy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to z33guy
Im guessing by internals problems you mean engine problems? If so, rest easy, the VQ series of engines are god . Unless you want an EVO or an STi its gonna be hard to beat the Z's bang for the buck. But if you dont like the car, dont buy it.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:05 PM   #3
pat77
AF Newbie

Grim,

Not to worry the cars are great....The Engine is bullet proof.

I did here of a few early trannies that whined but Nissan took care of them.

If I was not already on a list for an ELISE I would not be selling my Track model for a song......

Later
Pat
Old 10-09-2003, 03:42 PM   #4
tydog8
AF Newbie

wtf

Yea the Z rocks and the engine and drive train do too.

The so called problems you hear about are nothing. I work for nissan and it was a select few and the problem dealt with a harsh feel in the shifter which is now taken care of.

VQ engines have been rated the 10 best for over a decade. Cant beat em!
Old 10-09-2003, 03:48 PM   #5
Strider Negro
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Strider Negro Send a message via MSN to Strider Negro
the z sucks?
are u kidding me??? you don't say that about the VQ...
they have been voted the best 10 engines for a while now so i would find it hard that it has engine problems
it is the engine that defines nissan, all magazines and people know this...well that is what i think anyways...but buy the damn thing if i had the money i would buy it and not look back.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:39 PM   #6
350Zyprexa
AF Newbie

Here's an idea:

Stop reading posts, buy a Z, go out and smoke some mustangs and ricers and then worry about it.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:05 PM   #7
DR_Gallup
AF Newbie

Re: 350z Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim13
Say it isn't true. I've been doing a lot of forum reading about 350z owners and their cars. I'm looking to get the performance or the touring model, but now I'm getting second thoughts from what I've been reading. It appears that the 350z has a lot of internal problems. I have a 99 4Runner that runs like a charm, but consumes 16 mpg... and I need something similar in dependability. My second option is the Infiniti G35, but my heart is still set on the 350z. I wonder if the 2004 models have been refined.. Also, I'm looking to slap in a Stillen supercharger. Would that hurt my gas mileage by much?
The only significant problems have been front tire wear (variously called cupping, feathering, tire roar, etc.) and a few transmissions. My car has been back to the dealership only for the tire wear since Aug 2002. Nissan gave me free tires. I get 27 mpg highway with an average trip speed of 70 mph for 600 miles including stops. Pretty good in my book. 2004 model is unchanged except for the door on the NAV compartment. G35 is mechanically very close to 305Z so you won't be getting any significant difference in reliability. If reliability and gas milage are important forget about a supercharger. The aftermarket does about 5% of the engineering and 1% of the testing that the factory does. Highly modified cars are toys not dependable transportation.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:03 PM   #8
Grim13
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 350z Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_Gallup
The only significant problems have been front tire wear (variously called cupping, feathering, tire roar, etc.) and a few transmissions. My car has been back to the dealership only for the tire wear since Aug 2002. Nissan gave me free tires. I get 27 mpg highway with an average trip speed of 70 mph for 600 miles including stops. Pretty good in my book. 2004 model is unchanged except for the door on the NAV compartment. G35 is mechanically very close to 305Z so you won't be getting any significant difference in reliability. If reliability and gas milage are important forget about a supercharger. The aftermarket does about 5% of the engineering and 1% of the testing that the factory does. Highly modified cars are toys not dependable transportation.

Cool! Thanks for the helpful info. I did hear some minor flaws engine, about the tranny, some axel imperfection and yes, the tires. Maybe all are minor enough that I can handle. Also, the convertable looks pretty sweet! I've thought it looked really fem in the pictures, but it actually looks waay better in life.

Yeah, I want to do some more research on the 'stillen' supercharger. I definitely would like to do some mods such as the Veilside's type 3 body kit. 27 mpg is awesome, compared to my 19 mpg highway '99 4Runner.
I do like the g35 quite a bit, but the z has way more after-market gadgets.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:16 PM   #9
svtcobra007x

This is kind of pathetic how you guys are all talking about the Nissan Z because i looked up the specs and it does not have the horsepower or 0-60 time that other cars have. Im a die hard Mustang fan and if you check out the Mustang Cobra specs or the Saleen specs, then you will know that no Nissan will smoke a Mustang.

Old 10-19-2003, 10:25 PM   #10
z33guy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtcobra007x
This is kind of pathetic how you guys are all talking about the Nissan Z because i looked up the specs and it does not have the horsepower or 0-60 time that other cars have. Im a die hard Mustang fan and if you check out the Mustang Cobra specs or the Saleen specs, then you will know that no Nissan will smoke a Mustang.
especially when i can get a mach 1 for a few grand over a base model Z, and the SVT cobra is the same price as a track model Z. To most people the Z is more than a quater mile time or a 0-60. People like Z's the same way most diehard people like mustangs or camaros, because of the history and the name. Nissans and old datsuns have always run thru my family, so the Z is a welcome site back to our shores. Not flaming the mustang because your points are very true.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:33 AM   #11
Grim13
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtcobra007x
No one's doubting that Mustangs are badass cars. Although, if you go to any ford forum and make a comparison, you'll find out that Nissan's more dependable, mechanically, in the long run. I personally like old american muscle cars and would die to own a '71 mach1 mustang, but for an everday driver, I wouldn't want an american car as my first choice. It's just matter of preference, which in my case, I would prefer z or g35 over ford or chevy for it's speed, handling and general practicality. The new Cobra's got 390hp (which has a built in supercharger). If I were to get a Z, also, with a supercharger, it would boost it up it hp to around 360. Z, being the lighter car, probably will be an even match up.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:03 PM   #12
svtcobra007x

ok i wasnt trying to bash the Nissan Z and I understand what your saying. Everyone has their favorite brand car and they usually do not give that up. If you like Mustangs, buy a Mustang, or if you like a Nissan Z, buy a Nissan Z. My dream car would probably be a Saleen 281-E and hopefully one day i might just buy it but the odds are unlikely.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:34 PM   #13
Mk3Supra
AF Regular

I'm a recent Nissan convert and diehard fan. Out of the Japanese "Big 3" , Toyota , Nissan , Mitsubishi (Or Subaru) , (Maybe "Big4" if you include Honda , but they havent built a decent sports car since the CRX) I've come to the understanding the Nissans are the most reliable , with Toyota 2nd , and Mitsubishi and Subaru a distant 3rd. I have an '85 Turbo 300Z , and it seems just as solid as the day it was new. No squeaks or rattles , engine runs like a top with 160K on it , shifts are notchy but accurate. Technology has gotten much more precise since then , so I imagine a 350Z will outlast even cockroaches.

Last edited by Mk3Supra; 10-20-2003 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:10 PM   #14
[SS]Disabled
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk3Supra
Technology has gotten much more precise since then , so I imagine a 350Z will outlast even cockroaches.
Nah, not those bastards. Maybe it will outlast humanity but not cockroaches.
#1 The Camaro is out, it can't handle the heat of this country.
#2 So much for "The Camaro is out...", I found one which is tuned to handle the heat and its 1995 for 2.5K, its not my final decision though.
#3 Camaro is out, someone bought it before me.
#4 Found a 300ZX 1986 in good condition for 2400, will take it for a check up on thursday.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:24 PM   #15
z33guy
AF Enthusiast

cockaroaches can survive a nuclear attack and live with their heads cut off

The vq might live that long

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe