Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
chipthief
AF Newbie

Cool ABS/Transmission Problems.

I read a thread on here that GMMerlin I think answered and it got my brain to thinking. He was talking about a GM vehicle in the thread so I hope either he or a GM tech can answer my question. BTW, he mentioned there were 3 sensors for the ABS. One for each front wheel and one in the transmission that takes care of the rear wheels. So here it is:

I own a 97 Olds Bravada.

When I get in it almost every morning and start to drive off I hear something coming from underneath the suv that sounds like a loud fan. It last for maybe 4 houses max then goes away.

Then one day I was parked on a hill and was going to back out of a parking spot and for some reason I had to stop fast and accidently shifted into Park. I might have been going 1 mph but I doubt it. When I put the suv into reverse finally the transmission seemed funny like I had none. ABS light came on and I thought hmmm??? The transmission would just slip. So I turned it off and waited like 10 minutes and cranked it back up and drove off with no problems. Disconnected the battery for awhile to get rid of the light and all seemed ok again.

Then yesterday I was driving along on I-20 when I came upon a traffic jam real quick so I jammed on the brakes and low and behold I started to hear that loud fan sound again like I described earlier in this post and my transmission would barely go (TG). I drove it like that for about 2 miles and the sound never went away until it shifted into 3rd or 4th gear.

I parked the suv for a few hours and decided to drive it home. The fan noise was there for a few miles and then it went away. No warning lights came on.

SUV drives fine now.

Can the ABS knock out the transmission??? I guess that is my question.

TY ALL for any advice!!!

Last edited by chipthief; 08-03-2008 at 05:00 AM.
chipthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: ABS/Transmission Problems.

No it can not, I would have the abs scanned if you suspect a problem, but this sounds like a trans problem, which can also be scanned with the appropriate scanner. BTW, please back down your font, the post is too large. I would have a tech listen to this " fan" noise for a better diagnosis, could be in the drive train or a bad cooling fan clutch, can't tell from here.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
chipthief
AF Newbie

Cool Re: ABS/Transmission Problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge
No it can not, I would have the abs scanned if you suspect a problem, but this sounds like a trans problem, which can also be scanned with the appropriate scanner. BTW, please back down your font, the post is too large. I would have a tech listen to this " fan" noise for a better diagnosis, could be in the drive train or a bad cooling fan clutch, can't tell from here.
sorry, my eyes are bad. i can't hardly read yours.TY!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
chipthief
AF Newbie

Cool Re: ABS/Transmission Problems.

NO! I'll take it a step further. Just remove me from your membership list. I'll find a forum where people aren't rude. After all whoever created this forum could have blocked out the font choice, but they didn't. So i'm done here. GOOD DAY ALL!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
maxwedge
A990 racer

Unhappy Re: ABS/Transmission Problems.

Are you kidding, a simple request to reduce the font?! Your question was answered in a best possible, professional manner, if dissatisified, I agree, seek an alternative, sorry.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
the.emilio08
AF Newbie

just adding on because i have the same problem. my brake booster went out some time ago and then finally the abs light came on and my speedo stopped working. while in od it only stays in 1st. i had to manually shift from low 1st to 2nd... 3rd or od does not work it only revs then sometimes will cause to shift down. i called a brake shop and they said its a fail safe if the abs is out then you can only use certain gears. they told me to replace the brake booster and it should solve the problem. did that and still have the problem. speedo does not work and abs light still on. i checked the abs fuses and they are good replaced speedo sensor and d/c battery. still no luck. please help or give some pointers as towards what to look for. its a 99 bravada smartrak. thanks!
the.emilio08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

I had a broken wire at the passenger side, front wheel speed sensor right next to the passenger side front wheel hub. If you can't find any obviously broken wires, it'll need to be scanned with an ABS capable scanner which will most likely point right to the problem. Call around to the auto parts stores and ask if they do free scans and if their scanner is ABS capable.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
jimmyjambin
AF Newbie

I have a 94 and experienced the same problems this past week. I found the error to be the Vehicle Speed Sensor, which is located in the Transfer Case Housing. About 2 minutes to replace, the one at NAPA was like 70 bucks, but Advance has one for only 35 or so. They were out of stock when I got mine. Good luck.
jimmyjambin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Thanks for the info Jimmy!!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
joseriverasg
AF Newbie

having similar problem...have a 1995 silverado ext/cab bought a new engine and installed it sounds great...then installed a transmission(97 astro van) .... but still shifts fine when its cold...once the truck warms up the speedometer goes crazy and doesnt go out of first gearand my abs light stays on? ........ please help running out of money!!!
joseriverasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #11
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Get it scanned with a ABS or transmission capable scan tool. Call around to the auto parts stores and see if they'll do a free scan then if their scan tool is ABS/transmission capable.
Also, try shifting manually...start in 1st then at speed manually shift 2nd then 3rd & Overdrive.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada