Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
Trooper Noob
AF Newbie

Exclamation No Luck with Spark Plug Boot Separation

Well, I searched and searched, and tried and tried.
I'm nearing my wits end now. I've changed plugs in every car I've ever had, and never ran into a beast like this (maybe it's not that bad). Hopefully it isn't.

#1 coil pack came off, and the boot came out fine.

#2 coil pack came off, boot stuck to plug. Got coat hanger and pulled out (took about 15 minutes to pry it up carefully)

#3 (rear driver's side) Coil pack came apart from boot again, but this time the coat hanger could not safely (IMO) retrieve the boot.

I've heard of using a coat hanger (scared of damaging boot) and using a manual air pump (did not work at all for me)

So my question:

Does anybody have any other suggestions to get the damn boot apart from the damn spark plug?
Trooper Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Re: No Luck with Spark Plug Boot Separation

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
marcre
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to marcre Send a message via MSN to marcre Send a message via Yahoo to marcre Send a message via Skype™ to marcre

how exactly do you do that? I never taken the plugs out so I am not sure where to put the string.

1999 Rodeo LS 3.2 4x4 SOLD, but not forgotten
My Rodeo
marcre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
Trooper Noob
AF Newbie

Well, thanks for your attempt to help, amigo.

Thought I'd post up and let ya'll know that I finished them yesterday. All detours considered, the job took me close to 3 hours to complete.

This can be done in about an hour, I would think, as long as the boots cooperate with you.

I couldn't get the string to work for me. I used a bent coat hanger.

If anybody's got any questions on doing this later on, feel free to drop me a line.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

I just worked the loop under the rubber disk part to the main shaft of rubber tube and then yanked up on the string.

I came up with this after about an hour of tugging on it by hand (this was the drives side one all the way back by the firewall).

Car Show Tips

Old 03-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

I've had the most luck using 2 pairs of needle-nosed pliers. Grab each side of the top grommet on the boot (180deg apart), keep twisting and yanking . I've done a few 1998+'s this way.

G/luck
Joel
Old 03-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
99trooper01
AF Newbie

NEXT time try this. If you have a portable air pump like for bike tires etc. Use the air pump with the little pointed nozzle attached and pump air into the rubber boot, it'll pop right off there for you!
99trooper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:33 PM   #8
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

I never could get the air trick to work & I've got a decent air compressor and rubber tipped blow gun. Once you get them out, lube the part that goes over the sprk plug with silicone grease. They will pull right out once greased.

Joel
Old 06-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #9
Dima-isuzu
AF Newbie

Hi,

Can you tell me how did you get sparkle out?
I seemed to try everything, except coat hanger.
Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper Noob
Well, thanks for your attempt to help, amigo.

Thought I'd post up and let ya'll know that I finished them yesterday. All detours considered, the job took me close to 3 hours to complete.

This can be done in about an hour, I would think, as long as the boots cooperate with you.

I couldn't get the string to work for me. I used a bent coat hanger.

If anybody's got any questions on doing this later on, feel free to drop me a line.
Dima-isuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:46 AM   #10
Trooper Noob
AF Newbie

Well, the 'sparkle' as you call it was a pain all around. Just try the coat hanger method. You just have to be patient in bending it to the right shape and angle, and then pry up really hard with it. Once you get the boots separated from the plugs, the rest is cake.

On another note, if you are into playing around with your Trooper, you should check out the Isuzu site that I am a member with. www.planetisuzoo.com
Same type of site as this one, except it's all about Isuzu vehicles.

Lots of great helpful people over there, who have done some sick things to their Isuzus.

Hope this helps some.
My name over there is Trooper Matt
Old 06-29-2007, 09:16 PM   #11
Dima-isuzu
AF Newbie

Thanks for prompt response.
I am trying to remove rear driver side sparkle plug boot on my isuzu rodeo 01 v6 3.2L 4x4. That one is real tough one, no much room at all. I tried string, compressor air, coat hanger, pliers - it just does not want to give up. It does not twist much, maybe 45 degrees only. When I pull boot just stretches about 3/4 of inch and stays there. I went to my mechanic, he could not get it out neither. How hard should I pull? Can I damage it?
I am ready to give up... would it be okay just replace 5 plugs and leave one old plug?
May be there is some special tool exists to get spark plug boots out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper Noob
Well, the 'sparkle' as you call it was a pain all around. Just try the coat hanger method. You just have to be patient in bending it to the right shape and angle, and then pry up really hard with it. Once you get the boots separated from the plugs, the rest is cake.
Dima-isuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:07 PM   #12
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

I had the same issue. and the string method worked by pulling straight up on it. I also have a rubber end on my compressor that focus the air for blowing dust off stuff. I would imagine that would work well too.

Car Show Tips

Old 07-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #13
ssorge1
AF Newbie

Angry Re: No Luck with Spark Plug Boot Separation

Well, I too have encountered the curse of the #6 cyl. (rear driver side) sparkplug boot on my 2002 Isuzu Rodeo. I must have spent around 2 hours trying to get that blasted thing off yesterday. What is it with that damn boot?!!! I didn’t try the string or coat hanger method, but did try using compressed air with no success. I also shot some WD-40 down the center hole of the boot in hopes that it would free it up, but no dice. The way I finally got it off was by using a pair of regular pliers and just twisting and pulling with all the strength I could muster. After working it for a long, long, long, long time, it FINALLY popped off. I would only recommend using this method as a last resort, because the pliers may cause some damage to the boot. My boot was not torn, but the pliers created some nicks in the rubber. I inspected it very closely, but couldn’t tell if there were any holes going all the way through the rubber. I will probably go ahead and replace the boot, even though I got all my plugs changed and everything seems to be working fine at the moment. This boot sells for $30.95 online at Auto Parts Warehouse. Anyone know where I can get one cheeper?

I was also wondering… can anyone tell me why the #6 cly. boot is different from the other 5 boots? The #6 boot is the only one that has a notch in the top that fits over the tab on the bottom of the coil. Why is that?

Last edited by ssorge1; 07-22-2007 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Added question.
ssorge1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard