Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Liberty
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #1
i00ptirish
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to i00ptirish
2004 Jeep Liberty Gas Milage

I just purchased a used 2004 Liberty. Last week (or at least my last tank of gas) I averaged 16 mpg. There is no reading in my car that says what I am getting.... (I used miles/gallons at fillup) to figure it out.

I did use the four wheel drive more on the last tank due to the amount of snow we recieved, but I think the car will not be doing much better than 16 mpg.

Doe anyone have information on ways to increase the mpg I get?
PM me if you want
Thanks in Advance
i00ptirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
neon_rt
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2004 Jeep Liberty Gas Milage

Most areas are now using 10% ethanol mix for the winter. This can cut your mileage by 10-20%. My mom traded in her Liberty because at best she could only get about 20mph (she drives slow too). If you are getting 16 on 10% Ethanol mix, you are still in the ballpark for mileage. If you are like the rest of us, and start your Jeep and turn the heater on (it's about 20 decrees F. here in the morning) for about 10 min before driving, that can reduce your mileage even more. My Jeep has dropped to 18mpg with the cold weather.
neon_rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

I just read this post and I had the same issue with an 03 Liberty. The best I ever got was 20 mpg in the middle of the summer on a trip. Usually got 15 to 16 mpg in normal driving. Ended up trading the Jeep on a Chrysler Pacifica. Gets better mileage and has a whole lot more room. Sorry for the late reply.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
VTNomad
AF Newbie

MPG's

My stock 2004 gets 17 mpg around town and 21.5 on the highway. I average 24 on a long trip to the beach and 22 on the way back.

How many miles you got? I would suggest checking the air filter and spark plugs. You change your oil and oil filter, I recommend using 5W20 thibker oils have be known to leave build-up on the return ports. Some fuel injector cleaner probably wouldn't hurt.
VTNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
i00ptirish
AF Newbie

I just got around to reading your reply's thanks for the info.
the jeep is low on miles 31 k ... I never thought about using 5w20 for oil... do others do this as well? I could change the spark plugs but thought it shouldnt need that yet...
once again thanks for the info
Old 03-08-2006, 06:52 AM   #6
VTNomad
AF Newbie

You might want to check your spark plugs. I've heard of several people having to replace them below 30k. I've noticed about .5 mpg increase since I've switched to 5W20.

The only other ways to improve MPG is to reduce weight and/or increase aerodynamics. Chrysler did a pretty good job on the 3.7L and it's almost impossible to squeeze anymore hp or mpg's out of it. Some other options would be a cold air intake. The idea is colder air is denser, the cheap ones don't work, you want one that has a heat shield, I recommend K&N. A betterflowing exhaust can help as well. At the moment no one make headers, so that would be your choke point and the intake and exhausts won't be as effective as they could be. You could also add an underdrive pulley, more efficient torque converter (if it's an automatic) or change your gearing. Throttle body spacers, chips and tornado kits (swirl the air as it's coming in) are snake oil, don't waste your money.

Most of the mods are done for omcreased performance, not increased mpg's. You will get a slight increase in mpg's, but if you are doing this to save money at the pump it's not worth it. You'd have to spend about $1500, for a very small (less 2 mpg, maybe less than 1 mpg) increase. Imagine how many miles you'd have to drive to offset the cost, well over 100,000.
VTNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
i00ptirish
AF Newbie

thanks for all the info... i think i may change the oil... and def replace the spark plugs
Old 05-06-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
Ron Warren
AF Newbie

My Liberty was getting 18 until I got a K&N air filter, now getting 20mpg
Ron Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Liberty