Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Audi > Older Vehicles > 4000/100/A6/S6
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 05:02 PM   #1
s10chevy
AF Newbie

new problems

hello. i need some desperate advice. my ignition fuse keeps blowing out, and my dashboard is non fuctional. what could make the fuse keep blowing, ?
1991 chevy s10
s10chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:26 AM   #2
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

Re: new problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10chevy
hello. i need some desperate advice. my ignition fuse keeps blowing out, and my dashboard is non fuctional. what could make the fuse keep blowing, ?
1991 chevy s10
Welcome to AF;
now, you would probably get WAY more responses if you re-posted this in the Chevy S10 section, but since I also own one, I'll try and take a stab at it, but you should still repost, as instead of just me seeing this, a good hundred to a thousand die hard Chevy guys (or girls) could read it, and might have had a similar experience...

first, did you recently install a new stereo?
if so, this could be the problem, as GM from like '84 on didn't always make the red wire= power, and the black= ground, so if this was hooked up without a schematic, a more common occurence, is blowing fuses: especially, dash, brake lights, and ign.
if this is not the issue, then I would suggest looking at your battery (+)POS cable and its connection from starter solenoid to the battery, and any accessory wire(s) that feed of to the system. if you are a 4X4er and/or have many miles and go thru hard streets, any of these wires could have become "chaffed" and are self grounding causing a short.
also any fusible links should be looked at to insure they are not bad, or pinched in the frame, or crushed under the battery, or engine component.

...your message was very vague, is the ONLY thing that is blowing is the ignition fuse and dash/instument lights not working, or is the whole vehicle not operating/starting/running?
do the dash lights go out, when??? when you attempt to activate the headlight switch? when the car is idling, and you touch the brake pedal, to put it in gear?
the headlight/dimmer switch could be the culprit, but the stoplight switch (if you have ABS) runs through a relay, and shares a circuit with the illumination lights inside.

if it isn't the battery (fully charged, and no dead cell), fusible link, starter solenoid, headlight and/or stoplight switches;
it could be the actual ignition switch (electrical component) or the mechanical switch and tumbler/key unit.
-does the truck start ok, but the fuse blows after warm-up? or does the key go in, key turns on, and POOF! fuse pops?
if this is the scenario, then it is probably either a wire to the actual ignition or the swich itself.
(trying to isolate electrical anamolies is a pain, even when you have the vehicle in front of you, and then it is still an pain)

good luck, and
hope this helps,
if not, PM me, or post this in the S10 section,
chris
nrt racing
ctesla is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Audi > Older Vehicles > 4000/100/A6/S6