Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
LincolnLS
AF Newbie

Angry New Tranny Has Problems My Old One Didn't...

Ok, so I was 8 hours into a 10 hour trip...driving down the highway on cruise control at 120km/h and I felt a jerk...and noticed my RPMs jump about 1k so I shifted into SST and it said I was in 5th...so I went to 4th and did not feel a gear change...then went to 3rd and felt that, so went back up to 4th and it shifted fine...but would not go into 5th even though it would say it was in 5th ...I held the shifter up and after about 4 seconds I got the E with the Check Transmission error (not a good thing when driving on a dirt road through hilly mountains with no cell service and no cities/towns for at least 150km in any direction)

....so I drove in D4 to prevent it from attempting to go into 5th and it's been functioning fine other than VERY rough shifts even when being light on it...dealer was closed on saturday and sunday so I was forced to drive around (I'm out of town and there is no transit where I am so I am forced to use the car) the Check Transmission will come on after about a minute of driving...and now the Check Engine Light is on solid and stays on even if the check tranny doesn't come on

...I'm going to be taking it to an unfamiliar dealer - only one within 2.5 hours of where I am...and Lincolns aren't exactly popular around here so they will likely not have any experience on the LS at all....

I have a 2000 LS V8 Sport with 86000KMs on it...hoping for an AWA but I do have an extended warranty (with a deductable because I can't take it to the dealer I bought it from because I'm 1000km's away from them ). I am hoping it's some of the normal things that I've read about on here like the solenoid or valve body but am fearing this is more major because it will never shift into 5th...any ideas are appreciated....sorry for the long read...Until now I had not had any problems with the tranny at all...

Last edited by LincolnLS; 08-14-2005 at 03:58 PM.
LincolnLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:19 AM   #2
LincolnLS
AF Newbie

Re: Ever Hear Of THIS Tranny Problem??

The error codes are as follows:

P0735
P0765
P1717

Tech states it's the valve body solenoid...
Old 07-20-2005, 11:06 PM   #3
ttbit
AF Regular

Re: Re: Ever Hear Of THIS Tranny Problem??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnLS
The error codes are as follows:

P0735
P0765
P1717

Tech states it's the valve body solenoid...
Are they replacing the valve body and solenoid pack?

Coil Replacement Document
Valve Cover Seal Replacement Doc
ttbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:48 PM   #4
LincolnLS
AF Newbie

Well...I was out of my home province, so I was basically just making sure it wasn't something so serious I was stuck 1000KM away from home...I drove it back (no 5th gear but it wasn't too too bad on gas) and all 6 of the dealerships in my area won't be able to look at it until next wednesday at the earliest to determine what work will actually be necessary...they will not use the diagnostics from the first dealership that I brought them...that guy said that the 2, 3 & 5 Solenoids are not working properly...I am only now starting to see problems with 2nd and 3rd gears (rough jumpy shifts) and I also noticed another strange symptom on my 10 hour drive in 4th....if I let off the gas to let the car coast my RPMs go right down to 1000 as if there is no connection to the tranny keeping the revs in line with the speed of the car...so I have to look at what RPM I'm at before letting off cause if I just kick on the gas it really knocks the tranny hard...either way I'm under an extended warranty but they seem to be not wanting to give me a rental car, not even at a discounted rate...
Old 07-20-2005, 11:51 PM   #5
LincolnLS
AF Newbie

I think if I ever get this fixed (can't afford a rental or bus fares on top of the car payments and insurance so might not be able to be without the car for any more than my 3 day weekends) I will be selling this car and getting one that doesn't require 1000 a month in repairs on average - extended warranty will eventually run out...
Old 07-21-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
ttbit
AF Regular

Quote:
I think if I ever get this fixed (can't afford a rental or bus fares on top of the car payments and insurance so might not be able to be without the car for any more than my 3 day weekends) I will be selling this car and getting one that doesn't require 1000 a month in repairs on average - extended warranty will eventually run out...
I hear ya and understand the frustration. It seems that there is a list of problems all of us will run into at one point. Most of them are not bad to do yourself, but if I had to take this thing to the dealer. OUCH! I do not have an extended warranty. I am dreading transmission issues, fuel issues, and cooling issues. Let us know what you find out!

Don

Old 07-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #7
LincolnLS
AF Newbie

It's in the shop now...they are also doing a recall on the rear seat latches at the same time...I will let you guys know after it's fixed exactly what they did. The transmission guy said it was probably going to take 4-5 days to get it done because they are busy with alot of transmissions now (they do fleet repairs for cop cars and ambulances and obviously those vehicles come before mine) I am in a paid-for-by-my-extended-warranty rental for now (05' Chevy Cobalt - Base Base Base model .)
Old 07-28-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
LincolnLS
AF Newbie

It appears to be a "Shift Sensor" which the technician states is near the front of the transmission, he says it is not the solenoids as the error codes indicate. They are waiting on the part from Edmonton, AB (I'm in Ottawa)...I'll let you guys know whether the shift sensor actually resolves the problem or not...
Old 08-01-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
LincolnLS
AF Newbie

11 Days and counting...it wasn't the shift sensor, they asked for my permission to take the transmission out of the car to open it up because they feel there is a mechanical issue inside now...that was on Thursday...still waiting to hear back from them...
Old 08-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #10
ttbit
AF Regular

Quote:
11 Days and counting...it wasn't the shift sensor, they asked for my permission to take the transmission out of the car to open it up because they feel there is a mechanical issue inside now...that was on Thursday...still waiting to hear back from them...
Bummer.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:26 AM   #11
LincolnLS
AF Newbie

18 Days Now The shift sensor was not the issue, they opened the tranny and found shards of metal inside and decided I needed a new transmission...they found a rebuilt one in Alberta for $3300CAD but my extended warranty (service agreement) company would not let them use that one because they found a USED one in the states for $2300CAD and said if I wanted to pay the $1000 difference I could get the rebuilt one...so the used tranny should be at the shop later today if customs didn't hold it and I should be back in my car Tuesday.

87,000 km (54,000 miles) and a sealed transmission not requiring recommended service for many more miles...I'm assuming the newer gen's of this tranny are more reliable...can a newer gen be put in the 2000 LS?
Old 08-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #12
LincolnLS
AF Newbie

Finally got the new (used) transmission installed in my car, car now shifts from 1st - 5th with all gears working...but now I have the delayed hard shift into reverse and drive which my old transmission did not have a problem with...they want me to take my car back in tomorrow and start a new claim on the new transmission to get that resolved...
Old 08-18-2005, 07:23 PM   #13
LincolnLS
AF Newbie

Got my car back for good finally...the replacement tranny needed a new valve body because of a pressure sensor in it...they also put a new torque converter in...drives like new now, hopefully this one won't break...
Old 08-19-2005, 11:50 AM   #14
CGGorman
AF Enthusiast

Sorry for your ordeal. Glad it's resolved. Your dealer stuck with it, too. Some would have quit. Shame about the warranty denial on the new tranny.

If mine ever fails, I'm gonna retrofit in a Tremec 5 speed. It'd be similar in price to a new auto and would last forever. Got one in my 68 Vette and love it.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #15
dodge4Life
AF Newbie

Transmission problems, specifically the valve body.
At 2500 miles the trans light came on and the dealer told me dont drive the car. When my mom asked for a loaner car, she recieved a snide remark from one of the service guys. I had to go and take care of that. They evenually told me it was the valve body and 45 days later I got the car back.
Three days after I drove the car to NJ and felt a slight bucking between gears. After returning from a 30 mile trip and was back on the street, I felt like I was on a bucking Bronco. The car went back. Again, A fight ensued about a loaner car.
Two weeks later, I got the car back. A short time later I had the car on my lift in my garage and noticed a drip from the tranny plug. The car went back and I was told, "ITS ONLY A LITTLE LEAK" ARGGGHHHHHHHHHH. They say they cahnged the plug but they failed to realize I marked it and they only tightened it, now it leaks more.
The arbitraitor says they will take my case under the Lemon Law and if I win I WANT MY MONEY BACK
NEVER WILL I BY A FORD PRODUCT AGAIN. Gonna stick to my DODGE'S
General comments?
Would never buy another Lincoln or buy anything from Dana Lincoln Mercury again.
dodge4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ