Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
alesserfate
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to alesserfate Send a message via MSN to alesserfate
CLUTCH problem, Exhaust problem

hey all! i just got a 240sx 1990, 5spd manual, sports suspension, the clutch make a weird noise when i let go of it, like a light blowing noise, but when i press it in its silent, however say im in gear 2, when i let go of the gas, the car starts stuttering and shaking as it slows down, the tire pressures are fine, but it feels like somethings screwed. im planning to replace clutch, what brand should i get ? i wanna get performance one that i can race/drift/give it a beating with...
also, i want my exhaust to sound nice, i dont want the loud farting noise, i want it to sound like a deep smooth noise..
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
alesserfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:44 PM   #2
zdude
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to zdude
Re: CLUTCH problem, Exhaust problem

ummm... watch the rpms when you slow down in second, if they get below say 2 grand, take it outa gear...

92 Paseo (Died)
90 Corolla (Died)
89 240sx (sold then died)
85 735i (Died)
95 Corolla (Damn Deer)
94 Renault Espace (gave away lol)

94 BMW 316i
97 BMW 528i
97 Blazer

trackrunner2004@gmail.com
zdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
mynismo
yada yada yada

Send a message via AIM to mynismo

spec clutches are great. VERY soft and great for racing. they are actually softer than the stock clutch. get a soft one and you'll thank me when its in stop and go traffic.

as far as the exhaust, apex and hks make good catbacks. if you want just a muffler anything will really do (anything besides DTM euro tips, hehe). anything you get will sound good, nissans do not sound like hondas. nissans will not buzz.

not sure about your shaking, sounds like it might be a mechanical problem or a bad wheel alignment.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
alesserfate
AF Regular

thanks alot guys, what about greddy ? are those good, im looking for resonable price...

also.. my car needs a serious repaint, its all faded everywhere, not even talking about shiny lol, how do i paint a 240SX to make it look NICEE ?!?!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:28 PM   #5
SHO411
AF Enthusiast

For the good sound, try making more power,
For the good paint job, try Neon green with a mustang hood scoop.......... Nothing says you mean business as a Slap on Hood scoop.

On the hissing noise, it sounds like your friction material is all gone.
Is the clutch slipping? Are you forced to rev a little higher to take off? If so, yes your clutch is gone. A simple way to test this, go to about 40-50mph, and dump the clutch to gear one, if your car slows down rapidly, then the clutch is good, if it coasts, then you clutch is gone, but if it is almost gone, then it will be completly gone after this stunt.

And in the condition that your car sounds that it already is in, I think drifting is the last thing you want to do, your like a bird with no tail trying to fly, you have no direction LOL. Drifting/Racing puts alot of strain on your car, and in the condition yours sounds like, might want to go with a buddy who has a tow truck to wherever you are drifting/racing, might need him.

Ain't this the pretiest motor or what?

Fines are the fee you pay for the privilege of driving as fast as you want
SHO411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:52 PM   #6
alesserfate
AF Regular

I got a mint frame and i rust proffed it and im going to drift all through winter and into the summer....
Old 10-05-2004, 10:20 PM   #7
zdude
AF Enthusiast

riiiiigggghhhttt....get rid of the sig...you dont drift. and if you do, you arent that great, and you will crash and burn shortly after this message.

actually, listen to your sig, itll help, DONT DRIFT!!!!!!!!!!!ive owned my car for a good 10 months now so i know pretty well how it handles and what not, and i dont drift, the only "drifting" i have done is in a big empty parking lot right after a rain. go buy your shitvic, the 240 wagen is full

btw, there are people who have owned their cars for a lot longer than i have, and im sure they can drift them with their eyes shut and one hand tied to the shift knob. its hard to turn with one hand...

92 Paseo (Died)
90 Corolla (Died)
85 735i (Died)
95 Corolla (Damn Deer)

94 BMW 316i
97 BMW 528i
97 Blazer

Old 10-05-2004, 10:24 PM   #8
alesserfate
AF Regular

wtf ? i still have my mazda 323 i drift the crap out of using the handbrake and feint swirv on any surface, 240sx is meant for drift man, when i drift pro, i drift on track, streets are small talk theyr dangerous and im not pro enough to drift on em and wouldnt prefer ever cause u might get into a collision, parking lots are easy and fun to drift... man.. i drift it if i wanna, its a great car... im not about to grandma style driving for the rest of the 240's life...
Old 10-05-2004, 10:24 PM   #9
zdude
AF Enthusiast

btw, how old are you??

drifting puts a lot more stress on your car other than the frame and body. talk about engine, tranny, clutch, tires, suspension, body(crashing)...there is a lot more to it than that

92 Paseo (Died)
90 Corolla (Died)
85 735i (Died)
95 Corolla (Damn Deer)

94 BMW 316i
97 BMW 528i
97 Blazer

Old 10-05-2004, 10:31 PM   #10
alesserfate
AF Regular

man im not an idiot, i go to drift events, i know the concepts of countersteering/feinting/powersliding/healtoe/etc and trust me, i put the strees on the car, and i'll replace those parts that'll wear out cause of that, only makes a better car.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:39 PM   #11
zdude
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesserfate
I got a mint frame and i rust proffed it and im going to drift all through winter and into the summer....
driftin all through the winter and into the summer...rust "proffed" a frame, what about blowing your engine "proffing"??? what about tranny "proffing"?? what about crashing your new toy into a tree "proffing"?? i wanna see you even move that car in the winter, i had perfectly good tires last winter and i slowly let off the clutch no gas, second gear, and the tires still spun. i dont care what you do with your car, i only care that there is another perfectly good 240 out there with a new driver (to that car) that is gonna crash it into a tree somewhere and then call for help, "how much is it for a new quarter panel"? "how easy is it to pop out a dent"??

just learn how the car behaves before you go "drifting" it. i could have searched for 2 minutes and came up with feinting, powerovers, heal toe, shift lock, clutch kick, e-brake, kansai, long slide, etc. it doesnt take a genius to know what those are

92 Paseo (Died)
90 Corolla (Died)
85 735i (Died)
95 Corolla (Damn Deer)

94 BMW 316i
97 BMW 528i
97 Blazer

Old 10-05-2004, 10:44 PM   #12
alesserfate
AF Regular

searched what ? wtf are u talking about ? who said anything about crashing into a tree or blowing ur engine ? u can drift fine without overrevving ur enging ? im not a new driver and i know what im doing, and the 240 is gonna get better, all i came here for is to ask a question and i get flamed. you should be ashamed and never come to this forum, this forum is for automotive enthusiasts who help each other, not put them down, im glad i stayed in the drifting forum for most of the summer, theres just too many haters everywhere else that fear shit, peace out man, i aint gonna argue, i've got no interest in proving anything to you
Old 10-05-2004, 11:05 PM   #13
zdude
AF Enthusiast

fine with me, im not the dipshit trying to prove anything here...
ashamed, ha, yeah right

92 Paseo (Died)
90 Corolla (Died)
85 735i (Died)
95 Corolla (Damn Deer)

94 BMW 316i
97 BMW 528i
97 Blazer

Old 10-06-2004, 02:20 PM   #14
S13wanabe
AF Enthusiast

Cool Take it easy

For starters, Unless you are going to add a lot of power, the stock clutch is fine. Why pay the extra money if you don't have to. I got a new clutch for $140.00 at the dealership. If you do plan on adding power, I would recomend the appropriate ACT clutch. They're expensive, but they are good clutches. As far as exhaust, any one is good, just don't get an exhaust for a turbo motor if your staying NA and vice versa. You will sacrifice torque that way. If you plan on keeping the motor virtually stock, don't plan on doing much drifting. It's possible, but not easy. Like what was said earlier, stay in empty parking lots until you get an awsome feel for the car.
S13wanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 02:41 PM   #15
canisay182
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to canisay182

so how many of you guys have even competed in a drift competition????????? none really what about organized a local event like at the local track. all of you who are talkin shit need to just prove yourself. ive been driftin since i was 16. started on the streets i have since became wise to the dangers but i had no where else to go back then, no one knew what driftin was. i have went through 4 diff s13 2 totalled still got the other three but only one is still good ive had it for about one and a half years with out lossin it. as for winter driftin u must live in florida cause a drift ready 240 aint movin much in the snow so give up on those hopes and dreams. good driftin clutch act but its too stiff for daily drivin unless you got a strong leg. exhaust ... i went with full greddy dd with 3'' piping but thats only good if you got a turbo. o and hey the arent flamin you just grow up a little and listen to their advise they gotta put up with a lot of little kids who get a 240 and think cause they could pull the e-brake on there civic that they are a driftin god
canisay182 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX