Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
View Poll Results: need help
please help 0 0%
wont run 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 07:36 PM   #1
90talon
AF Newbie

really need help car wont run, new time belt tensioner

I have an 1990 eagle talon tsi fwd and it was making a really annoying sound and i found out my tensioner was bad so i replaced that along with the tensioner beaing and i put everything back and tried to start it and it sounded like valves were hitting the pistons, i checked everything out and i was off a couple teeth on the cams. Then i adjusted the timing and now everything is perfectly timed, i tried starting it and it started but it runs like shit and wont idle, it also boggs out to

Please help Thanx
90talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
MrZ
AF Regular

Re: really need help car wont run, new time belt tensioner

90talon;
It really sounds like you banged up your valves to me. If you have a compression tester, check each of your cylinders to see what you're getting.

Chances are though that you have bent some of your valves. Checking the compression will confirm that, but judging by what you're described it sounds to me as though you need to pull the head.

Mark
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
90talon
AF Newbie

yeah i checked the compression and only the number three cylinder has compression and it has 145psi and the other ones dont even move the needle up a little, there is oil on top of the cylinders with no compression could that be from bending valves and the oil just drips down on top of the piston also i took the valve cover to check everything out and a i saw somthing i thought i would never see a roller poped out i know thats bad
Old 03-17-2004, 03:45 AM   #4
Dark_Ink000
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Dark_Ink000

Dude, sorry to hear that.... sound to me that you need to rebuild or buy a new engine
Old 03-17-2004, 11:17 AM   #5
90talon
AF Newbie

i think the bottom end will be salvageable i dont think the pistons, and cylinder walls are damaged so im probably just put a new head on it.

Just Wondering what makes u think i need a new motor

Thanx
Old 03-17-2004, 11:47 AM   #6
90talon
AF Newbie

hey mark,
Old 03-17-2004, 11:50 AM   #7
90talon
AF Newbie

hey mark,

what do u think about the bottom end being salvagable and should i just get a n/t head and put my cams and valve train in, also do u know of any places i can get the topend gasket set, valve seals, and water pump really cheap

Thanx,
Bryan
Old 03-18-2004, 01:08 PM   #8
MrZ
AF Regular

90talon;
I think you answered the question yourself on the bottom end. You should be able to tell whether you did any damage when you pull the head off. Some nicks in the pistons should be expected, as long as it's not more than that your bottom end should be ok.

You can pick up the gasket set in any good auto parts store. As far as water pumps go, I priced them myself, and you will only pay $5 or $10 more for a new pump vs a rebuilt one. Spend the money, as it is a lot of work replacing it if it fails later.

My only question to you is why you would want to get a non turbo head? If your car is a TSI you should definitely look for a turbo head for it. I don't know where you're located, but here in Chicago there a number of "you pick the part" salvage yards where you could find a head like that for less than $200.

Mark
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:46 AM   #9
90talon
AF Newbie

cool thanx i was only thinking of using a n/t head just in case mine was really messed up but i pulled the head last night and everything seems to be ok i probably going to need a couple new valve seats and will def need some valves, and while im doing all that im going to put new seals and all that stuff in. Thanx for all your help man i appreciate it.

Bryan

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic