Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 10:44 PM   #1
shnizoz
AF Newbie

Anyone here an actual Honda tech? 1.5 carb problem I need help with

Idle surges and the engine won't rev past about 4k rpm. Car sat for about a year, so I drained the old gas and replaced all the rubber fuel lines, fuel filters (primary and secondary), and the mechanical fuel pump since it was leaking as well. Eliminated vaccuum leaks and replaced intake manifold gasket and carburetor gasket/insulator.

Funny situation: it acts this way all the time, unless you remove the lid from the air filter housing. If you do that, engine runs fine all the way to redline, but idle still surges, although not as bad. I've come to the conclusion that with the lid off, its sucking in just enough extra air to properly balance the air/fuel mixture. Or at least get it close enough to run correctly. I'm thinking I can lean out the mixture if I can figure out how to do it.

Carb rebuild time or just adjustments needed? Did this before and after fuel system refreshing.

Opinions welcome.

thanks

Kyle
shnizoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 04:11 PM   #2
cvcc_wagon
AF Enthusiast

i had a similar problem with my car cutting out at high rpm's, what i ended up doing is cutting the outter edge off the filter lid so that it just covers the filter, since then it has not been a porblem. mine is an 83 civic, what is yours?
Old 01-11-2004, 10:06 PM   #3
shnizoz
AF Newbie

Mine is an 87. Today I plugged the large main vaccuum line going to the large vaccuum solenoid box behind the driver's side headlamp. This improved the situation about 75%.

I may just remove all of the unnecessary vaccuum lines and plug the ports. This might improve the situation, but if not I'll never figure out where they all went! That vaccuum routing diagram on the hood looks like a road map!

Kyle
shnizoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
cvcc_wagon
AF Enthusiast

Re: Anyone here an actual Honda tech? 1.5 carb problem I need help with

i never bothered to try and figure the vaccume lines out, its all just emissions stuff they put on to make it pass the Cali. smog tests, when i look around the wreckers her in canada i dont see any of that stuff (not even a catalytic converter) but that has changed since the 80's, mine is was origionally from the stated so it does have that stuff